Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: The Nail Polish/Anything to Do with Nails Thread

Most brands, OPI , Essie , China Glaze , Zoya and other high end and independent brands now are 3 or 4 free which most brands changed their formulas to a couple of years ago - your bottle could be old or one of the brands that has not removed it from the formula
    The Big 3 (toxic chemicals that is) | All Lacquered Up

and I am really bad if it's a color I love that I have had for a while I will still wear it

eva

Regarding gel manicures...

I'm in Marketing, so it is important to have a manicure all the time. A regular nail polish will only last a day or two for me. I get a gel manicure in a simple, short french manicure and it lasts me 3 weeks. Even when it grows out a little, you can't tell. At worst, I have to apply a top coat so that the entire nail (including the grown out part) has the same sheen.

I love my gel manicures! They don't give me contact dermatitis, which, really anything could. My nails or hands aren't dried out (perhaps the article writer's hands are dried because she washes her hands so many times). Its a great option for a professional manicure for me.

Just my two cents!
    Insert witty line here

I'm thinking I'm getting a gel manicure next week. I haven't gotten a polish manicure in YEARS because I can't wear nail polish at work and I never seem to have enough days off in a row to make it worth it (pedicures are another story, even got my boyfriend hooked on those so he goes with me sometimes and gets a non-polish pedicure, lol). BUT...I am going to be taking off like 10 days next week to go home for a friend's wedding. I'm thinking about getting one on Monday before we leave so I don't have to waste valuable time at home to go to the nail salon when I could be spending it with friends, and it'll still look good at the wedding.

I figure it can't be any more damaging than the 4ish years of acrylic nails were when I was in college.

fgg

you are forbidden from wearing nail polish at work? can people wear acrylics? what about getting a french gel polish? that wouldn't stand out.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    I'm thinking I'm getting a gel manicure next week. I haven't gotten a polish manicure in YEARS because I can't wear nail polish at work and I never seem to have enough days off in a row to make it worth it (pedicures are another story, even got my boyfriend hooked on those so he goes with me sometimes and gets a non-polish pedicure, lol). BUT...I am going to be taking off like 10 days next week to go home for a friend's wedding. I'm thinking about getting one on Monday before we leave so I don't have to waste valuable time at home to go to the nail salon when I could be spending it with friends, and it'll still look good at the wedding.

I figure it can't be any more damaging than the 4ish years of acrylic nails were when I was in college.
    I think it's fine unless you have shit nails to begin with, like I do. My boss gets them every 2 weeks and hasn't had any problems. I got it done twice and my nails are still recovering. They were already flimsy and shitty before but after the gel manicures they just started breaking like crazy and splitting off into layers. It's been a couple of months and they are finally getting better.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

i have crap nails too and the gel actually has helped them because they are protected so i don't have breakage. i've done it consistently for a couple years now. i don't even want to know how much i've spent on it...
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

That's what I thought would happen to but then they started splitting on the sides, and I don't even let them grow out. I guess mine are even shittier than yours. Sucks, because I loved how they looked and it was awesome having pretty nails and not having the polish chip after half a day which is what usually happens.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think gel would be ok on occasion, but not on a regular basis. My manicurist says they're very drying.

My current pedi is Lippmann's Brown Eyed Girl. Loving it with my fall shoes.

Rusalka likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I think it's fine unless you have shit nails to begin with, like I do. My boss gets them every 2 weeks and hasn't had any problems. I got it done twice and my nails are still recovering. They were already flimsy and shitty before but after the gel manicures they just started breaking like crazy and splitting off into layers. It's been a couple of months and they are finally getting better.
    I have nails that are exactly like that. They crack and peel if you look at them, when they get remotely long they break. I tried everything to strengthen them and they don't improve much. Reading this thread, I'm going to say no on a gel manicure, not even going to risk it even though it sounds nice.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I think gel would be ok on occasion, but not on a regular basis. My manicurist says they're very drying.

That is the prettiest shade of brown I've ever seen. I love that!
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

PSA of the day. Do NOT waste your money on Nutra Nail Gel Perfect.
    I bought it in a pinch because I had a sales presentation and not enough time to get a "real" gel manicure at the salon.

It costs $12.00 and is supposed to last up to two weeks. WRONG. It started chipping the next day and it's a pain in the ass to remove. You need 100% acetone.

Spend your money on the real thing. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, WCG, that is a gorgeous brown I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    you are forbidden from wearing nail polish at work? can people wear acrylics? what about getting a french gel polish? that wouldn't stand out.
    It's a food safety thing. No polish b/c it can chip off into food or drinks (which I understand, how often do you not know WHEN you got that chip), no acrylics either (which I DON'T understand b/c there is no way I would have missed a chip/crack/break in my nails when I had acrylics. That shit hurt when you would mess them up. I go every few months and get a manicure minus nail painting, I just wish they would charge less for it since I'm not using any polish whatsoever, but its still the same price no matter where I go.

I'm really into the skin toned nail polish. I know, it's weird but I'm experimenting with a more minimalist look. I can't seem to find a shade light enough, but I'm getting there!
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

Exquisite colour! I'm coveting it.

I am in love with this Deborah Lippman glitter polish called Across the Universe. It's so jelly-like and incredibly glittery, beautiful blues and greens--I've been staring and admiring my hands ever since yesterday when I put this on. I'm mesmerized, it's so pretty in person.

*Damn that's a huge picture, sorry.

Thread Information