Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: The Nail Polish/Anything to Do with Nails Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Recommendations for base and top coats

I use to have a problem with my nails chipping really bad within 24 hours, but I know I am hard on them- doing dishes like twice a day, chores, picking up after and playing with two small kids. I was using a real cheap top coat, an Avon base coat that I think is finally going bad and $4 nailpolish.

I ordered Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat from Amazon, ~$5. I just wanted to test it out, put on my bad base coat and my kid's $2 nail polish and only one coat of the Seche. I got my first tiny chip today, 4 days later. I have done dishes probably 8 times and my first chip was from ramming my finger into a metal rack. I am so impressed!! I just touched up the tiny chip and put another top coat on all my nails, looks good!

I order a bottle of Essie Protein Base Coat , ~$6.50 from Amazon. I haven't tried it yet, but I am hoping it helps my nails from getting weak like it did from my old base coat.

Anyone have any other recommendations? OH and also should I be using a nail strengthening treatment every once in a while, what should I do to keep my nails from breaking on the very tips and peeling a little at the tips?

SV Top Coat is the best top coat evah!! Ive never found anything that makes my mani's last like that stuff does!! I use Stickey Base Coat by Creative Nail Design. Before I started using this combo, my polish would chip in a day. Now it lasts anywhere from 5 to 7 days, depending on how hard I am on my hands.

^I should update and say the SV top coat is amazing. When I paint my 4 year old's toe nails the polish is gone within a day, she is rough. I painted her toes 5 days ago and it's still on, she was so surprised. I can't believe what a difference it makes.

I normally can't wear nail polish because I can't wear it for work. But, I took 5 days off of work this week so decided to try out the nail polish "appliques" from Incoco that I got in my birch box a couple months ago (another thing I love....$10 monthly for a box of 5 or 6 deluxe sized beauty product samples, there is always at least one thing I love in the box).

They look like stickers, but it's base coat, polish, and top coat all in one, and claim they last for 14 days. They come in solid colors and fun designs, I had zebra striped ones. Just peel, stick, file to your nail size, and they are set in a few minutes. I got them all on in about 5-10 minutes, you can stretch them slightly to fit your nail perfectly, and are repositionable if you don't get it straight the first time. I let them sit for about 20 minutes before really doing stuff, and they were fine. I didn't get my first chip until this morning, the 6th day I was wearing them, and they day I had to remove them anyway because back to work tomorrow. They were a little bit of a bitch to take off, lots of cotton balls and polish remover, but otherwise I loved them and would TOTALLY use them again.

They are available at Incoco

^ That sounds awesome because I SUCK at painting my own nails. I've just never mastered it... thanks, NoDay!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Noday! What a fun thing! I am going to try that!
    and how do you get that birch box thingy? That sounds great.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Just go to birchbox.com to sign up, $10 per month, no extra shipping, and they do it month to month so you can cancel any time.

They do a nice bonus where if you like anything in that month's birch box and buy a full size item from the site itself, then the item ships for free. You also earn 1 "point" per dollar you spend on full size items, 100 points gets you a $10 coupon.

Also, I'm just gonna throw my referral link here, feel free to use or not use, but as long as I'm chatting it up http://www.birchbox.com?raf=x0p55

Cool. Wonder if they ship out of country?
    "I don't want to see a ghost. It's the sight that I fear most. I'd rather have a piece of toast." Des'ree

I just checked and it's US & territories only right now. They are still pretty new, so maybe in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Just go to birchbox.com to sign up, $10 per month, no extra shipping, and they do it month to month so you can cancel any time.

They do a nice bonus where if you like anything in that month's birch box and buy a full size item from the site itself, then the item ships for free. You also earn 1 "point" per dollar you spend on full size items, 100 points gets you a $10 coupon.
    That would also make a fun birthday gift for my sissy. Thanks, I never heard of this place.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I normally can't wear nail polish because I can't wear it for work. But, I took 5 days off of work this week so decided to try out the nail polish "appliques" from Incoco that I got in my birch box a couple months ago (another thing I love....$10 monthly for a box of 5 or 6 deluxe sized beauty product samples, there is always at least one thing I love in the box).

They look like stickers, but it's base coat, polish, and top coat all in one, and claim they last for 14 days. They come in solid colors and fun designs, I had zebra striped ones. Just peel, stick, file to your nail size, and they are set in a few minutes. I got them all on in about 5-10 minutes, you can stretch them slightly to fit your nail perfectly, and are repositionable if you don't get it straight the first time. I let them sit for about 20 minutes before really doing stuff, and they were fine. I didn't get my first chip until this morning, the 6th day I was wearing them, and they day I had to remove them anyway because back to work tomorrow. They were a little bit of a bitch to take off, lots of cotton balls and polish remover, but otherwise I loved them and would TOTALLY use them again.

They are available at Incoco
    that is cool! I just went over to birchbox.com & got on their waiting list. thx for sharing this!!

Just got Essie Jamaica Me Crazy. It's a fun magenta color with a lot of shimmer. A nice summery color for my toes.

source: Polish or Perish: Some apparently retail-exclusive Essies: Jamaica Me Crazy and Dive Bar
    Karistiona likes this.

I am looking for a really dark blue, almost black nail polish that won't look ghetto/goth. Is there such a thing? I saw one in a magazine a few weeks back but now I don't remember.

I could read this whole thread to see if such a thing has been mentioned, but I am just too damn lazy.

Any suggestions?
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

fgg

what about opi ink? i've worn it before and it's very dark. i can't post pics so you'll have to go check it out.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Also, I'm just gonna throw my referral link here, feel free to use or not use, but as long as I'm chatting it up Discover the best beauty, grooming and lifestyle products | Birchbox
    My office is on the same floor as Birchbox in NYC :-) They're an awesome startup and their offices just have drawers and drawers of makeup stuff. The girls are always in the bathroom trying something new out and their offices are all Birchbox-pink. It's cool you mentioned them!
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    what about opi ink? i've worn it before and it's very dark. i can't post pics so you'll have to go check it out.
    I was thinking of that one or either OPI Russian Navy, which is a gorgeous color. It comes in a matte version that looks darker, but I prefer the original glossy version.

Thread Information