Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My hair is turning white and I'm only 27

My 28 year old hubby has been getting more and more gray hair by the year. He says it's being married to me, I said it is being in the Army. Either way, it is what it is.

My best friend started going white at seventeen actually. She's 28 now, and I have no idea what percentage of her hair is white, because her dye jobs are that good-her hair looks fantastic.

What other people said-find a good colorist.

Silver Member

I had an aunt that was platinum white naturally, and two of her kids turned white in their early 20's. I think they look stunning and it can be so cute in the right style. If it's gray, I would say color it, but if its a platinum white, I would say leave it alone.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My friend (in her 20's) had some white hair but it was evenly distributed so she'd colour her hair and it would look highlighted, it was pretty neat.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I've been growing white hair since I was about 14 (I'm 21). It was really noticeable at times and some of my teachers couldn't resist pulling it out in the middle of class which was just..lots of fun .
    I've been using henna regularly though for about 3 yrs now so it looks like I have dark red highlights (my hair's auburn). My mother and grandmother were both the same way.My mom didn't really cover it up as regularly as I do though and although it was pretty noticeable it didn't progress until she was in her 40's.

I think if you go white slowly, there can be many years, even decades, when you hair appears "grey", the white and dark hairs seen together appear grey to the eyes. When you hair turns white quickly, the transitional grey period is swift, especially with short hair.
    I am too lazy to dye my hair, but the mirror tells me that I really should...

Yeah, I hear you, Reptillycus. It isn't fun... I think that my hair will probably take about 5-7 years to change to a solid white. I'm 27 now, so I'd say probably 35 will be totally white. What I am going to do until then, have no idea. Right now, I am using a black box color to "touch" up the hair. Most likely in the next 2+ years, I'll hopefully spend a lot of money to have it bleached to the plantinum and then the monthy costs might be worth it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

My grandma had a mysterious fever at 21/22, she lost all of her teeth and her hair went completely white. Using dentures at that age had to be tough, but she ended up with gorgeous hair.

Gosh, that must have been awful for her!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

premature graying is in my family. I have A LOT of gray hair and I'm 34, but it started way back in my twenties. So you're not alone.

I'm used to coloring it, so it really doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    premature graying is in my family. I have A LOT of gray hair and I'm 34, but it started way back in my twenties. So you're not alone.

I'm used to coloring it, so it really doesn't bother me.
    Do you plan on ever letting it go white plantinum? Do you think that is look that you could even do Olivia? I mean talk about extremes... I am very dark haired right now, and then for it to go to plantihum, well, it's like night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    My grandma had a mysterious fever at 21/22, she lost all of her teeth and her hair went completely white. Using dentures at that age had to be tough, but she ended up with gorgeous hair.
    Oh, that must have been horrible on someone. It definately seems that it was stress- induced from the fever. That is for sure. Did it have any other side effects? Did she live a healthy long life from there on?
    I think that what I am experiencing is genetic because I don't have fever that caused this.
    And am pretty sure that it just runs in the family on the dad's side.

I discovered my first white hair after my last post, and this thread helped me from having a full-blown spaz attack over it.

I think the combination of white hair with young skin is gorgeous. A lot of women would kill for that look.

I'm 52 but still don't have to dye my hair. I have some grays in front of the ears but that's it.

^ That is amazing to be 52 with very little greying. I guess aging is different for all of us. I have pretty bad acne right now too, along with the greying. So, I don't know if that's what you'd consider as *young skin*

It seems to be that my skin wants to clear up with my hair going white. I'm not sure if it is the texture of the skin changing, it is pretty oily.

I think that I put a link to a photo at the beginning of the post to show how young I am, but with the white hair happening, it is a very different, and that you wouldn't expect it so early.

I feel like the main problem for women is that almost ALL women dye their hair, so that when grays start popping in, its looks a lot more aging than it should and than it does for men. I mean, Clinton literally had to dye all his hair gray so as to look older and more distinguished for God's sake when he was running as a young 46 year old. The only time you ever see women with gray or white hair that isn't colored is if their in their 60's or 70's. We should all embrace the grays together! Although, my friend's Chinese father dyed his hair black so maybe Asian men aren't as ok with graying as Western men (with the exception of men like Donald Trump of course).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information