Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet the woman who spends $47k a year on her hair

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Yes, that really bothers me too. I remember seeing video of the poor Indian women when they were told how much those asshole middlemen got paid for their hair they'd given for free because they considered it a religious offering. I hated seeing their disappointment at how they'd been duped and taken advantage of.

I saw a programme a few years ago made some disturbing speculations, one of which was that sometimes hair was just taken from temples as more often there is no barriar to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Yes, that really bothers me too. I remember seeing video of the poor Indian women when they were told how much those asshole middlemen got paid for their hair they'd given for free because they considered it a religious offering. I hated seeing their disappointment at how they'd been duped and taken advantage of.
    I've always wondered- do the women know that their religious sacrifice is then being turned around and sold so pampered Western woman can have hair extensions? And do they at least pay for it and put some money back into the temple?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I've always wondered- do the women know that their religious sacrifice is then being turned around and sold so pampered Western woman can have hair extensions? And do they at least pay for it and put some money back into the temple?
    From what I gather some temples get money, and consider it a way to make regular money. I read one article that talked about getting 10% more at an auction for the hair. Not all temples are ignorant to the practice of selling hair and they know it goes towards making wigs and extensions. It should be pointed out that they don't make nearly the same figures as the companies that sell them but some do profit. If the report I watched is to be believed there are some places where hair is just taken/stolen. As for how much the women know, there is purported to be growing awareness but generally most of these women don't know a thing.

I watched Chris Rock's documentary "Good Hair" & there was a segment about the Indian women who sacrifice their hair, which then gets sold...for big bucks. It made me wonder why these women don't just sell their hair themselves. They could live quite comfortably for a while!

As for the woman in this article ~ the hair is too long & you can tell it's not all hers. Maybe if it wasn't so long, it wouldn't be so obvious. I also thought it was funny that the woman who does her hair also does Miley Cyrus' hair, because hers is too long & you can tell it's not hers, either. This hairdresser ain't the hot sh!t that she thinks she is!

I guess if they sold it, it would lose its significance as a sacrifice. Like paying someone to give up chocolate for Lent so you don't have to!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I guess if they sold it, it would lose its significance as a sacrifice. Like paying someone to give up chocolate for Lent so you don't have to!

I meant sell it instead of sacrificing it.

The documentary said that almost all Indian women who are Hindu would shave their hair to sacrifice it at least once in their lifetime. One of the women on there said that hair is viewed as vanity. So I was wondering why not just sacrifice it that one time & any other times, sell it?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

28 years old my ass! and what a moron but to each their own and she's keeping many people employed w/ her idiocy so thats a plus too

but on second thought after reading the whole article, her hair does look like crap, not at all worth that kind of money, sorry to say.
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; April 28th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.

Buy a wig moron, it's cheaper and would look far better
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

They look nasty - for what she's paying I was expecting something much better

Give me a call lady, I'll do just as crappy a job for half the price!!!

This woman is insane. She needs to spend that 47k on a shrink to work out her deeply rooted selfesteem issues.

I was briefly friends with a girl who was so extremely insecure and had issues for all of Africa. She would dye her hair every week from blonde to brunette and back again, and get haircuts every week, fake nails, fake tan, more cakey makeup, etc. Her crazy was the reason we're not friends anymore. But she got some busted ass extensions down to her butt when she had hair that didn't even reach her shoulders. You could see her natural hair so it was kind of like a mullet. The hair was just so long and dead straight and tacky, it looked like shit much like this woman's extensions. I forgot what my point was with this story, but basically both this girl and the woman in the article look better without all the artificial looking crap.

lol - one of the comments from the NY Post site:

Ginseng1
    04/06/2010 3:19 PM
    This Trick. Really, I mean, REALLY?

This hatchet, horse faced, self involved woman is wasting her money. Lady, I can see why you have narrowed your modeling down to just your feet because, well, your head needs to be examined, your a ss is as wide as a truck and your tattoo's look like something a prisoner would wear.

Instead of your parents investing in stock, they should have invested in a good drill sargeant who would ride you like Sea Biscuit.

Oh, and while you are wearing the hair of some poor Indian woman, you might consider working in an Indian village to help kids who are much more disadvantaged that that tired
    a ss weave that your are wearing so proudly.

You must be so proud of yourself.

Read more: NYC women who pay $10,000 and more for hair extensions - NYPOST.com
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I don't get everyone's obsession with hair extensions - I've basically never seen them look good or even remotely natural. A hairstyle that suits your face and is a medium/short/normal length is much more flattering than extensions hanging down to your butt. I just don't get it. Even natural hair that is extremely long looks better than extensions, but it still doesn't look as a good as hair that's styled and cut well because hair that's so long just hangs and drags down your face ugh.

They can look pretty natural if done correctly. I don't know where these celebs get them done...the women I know that get them done, or do them..well they don't look like this shit.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

my mom had good ones done, but the problem is that they show if your hair moves in the slightest which it always does! but they looked good though generally speaking and she kept good care of them but they're costly and annoying to keep up so she lasted about a year only w/ them

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information