Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Matted Hair :(

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Unrelated to your hair, but if you can be that ill and your mom didn't get you any help, for your own peace of mind, you need some sort of emergency plan in place in case you ever get sick again. A friend or neighbour your kids can call who can come check on you maybe?
    Also,go over this with your son. If you are so sick and out of it, could he call 911 and let the paramedics decide? Has West Nile virus been in your area? It takes 2-3 weeks to get over, sometimes longer.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Unrelated to your hair, but if you can be that ill and your mom didn't get you any help, for your own peace of mind, you need some sort of emergency plan in place in case you ever get sick again. A friend or neighbour your kids can call who can come check on you maybe?

You are 100% right. This was a REAL eyeopener!! My mom took 2 semesters in Nursing school about 10 years ago so that was her excuse. That she knew what was wrong & what to do. She said all I needed was a little food and little water and I'd be good in no time. I don't know if after the 2nd or 3rd day she didn't call a doctor because of pride or embarrassment or what, but she insists they would of done nothing that she didn't do.
    I am grateful for her watching my kids, but very angry that they had to even go through that for so many days. When my oldest son came home from school the day I woke up, omg.....he was so happy and I thought he was gonna cry. She is or was my emergency contact. she lives a few miles away. Thats why he called her right away. Damn straight I'm finding someone else. It boggles my mind what happened and what could of happened.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

gardenwitch, I hope you're feeling better and I hope you got checked out by a doctor. I've only been sick from a bug like that about 3 times in my life and I never want to relive it. I'm glad your kids are OK and you're doing better. If at all possible, I'd still get checked out by a doctor. I agree with Twitchy and McJag about an emergency plan and calling 911 and letting paramedics decide. There are so many nasty things out there, you just don't want to take a chance.

As for the hair issue, I got here kind of late, but my 2 cents would be mayonnaise and what everyone else has been saying about combing at the ends and working your way up. If there is any residue, use club soda, 7-Up, ginger ale or something like that to clean through it. Actually, anything carbonated should work I think.

ETA - you could even combine mayo with a detangler.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Alot (suck it, grammar nazis) of good advice. Don't be stingy with the conditioner. Divide that hair up into quarters and conquer it bit by bit. Just use your fingers to comb it through with the conditioner and then work your way up to a wide tooth comb. You'll lose a handful of hair (probably) but you won't have to cut it.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenwitch View Post
    Ohhh!!! I never thought about olive oil!!! I have A LOT of that. Extra Virgin don't ya know.... I'm doing that tonight!!!!! Thank you!
    I hope it works for you. Be patient and generous with the oil and hopefully it'll start slicking up the strands enough to loosen the knots. It's gotten some real snarls out that I didn't think would come out without scissors, and I hope it comes through for you too.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

You are 100% right. This was a REAL eyeopener!! My mom took 2 semesters in Nursing school about 10 years ago so that was her excuse. That she knew what was wrong & what to do. She said all I needed was a little food and little water and I'd be good in no time. I don't know if after the 2nd or 3rd day she didn't call a doctor because of pride or embarrassment or what, but she insists they would of done nothing that she didn't do.
    I am grateful for her watching my kids, but very angry that they had to even go through that for so many days. When my oldest son came home from school the day I woke up, omg.....he was so happy and I thought he was gonna cry. She is or was my emergency contact. she lives a few miles away. Thats why he called her right away. Damn straight I'm finding someone else. It boggles my mind what happened and what could of happened.
    You are lucky a doctor didn't have to promounce you dead! She needs more classes.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I hope you're feeling better! Sounds like a nasty bug you got there. I've never been that sick, but did have a horrible case of the flu several years ago. My fever was 103 and I was a bit delirious. The doctor told me the importance of gatorade or something that replenishes your electrolytes. You need more than water for sure.

As for the hair, if I don't sleep with my hair up I will get a small mat at the nape of my neck. I use a leave in conditioner/detangling spray and just work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    Get a jar of Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream ,you can get this brand or another brand in most drug stores or Target ,Walmart or what ever super store where you live , it's sometimes in the ethnic hair section , if you can't find that then get a jar of deep conditioner , it's really thick like pudding and put handfuls of it on your hair until it completely covered , put a plastic shower cap on and let is soak overnight and start from the bottom and use really wide tooth comb
    I have long curly hair and this worked when I was younger and got my hair really tangled

Vouch, coming from a black lady. My mom used that stuff on my hair. I use other stuff now, because I like trying new products.

Start combing from the ends, then upwards towards the scalp. Wide tooth comb of couse.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

BULLFUCKING SHIT. Unless she popped an IV in your vein and obtained and administered fluids herself.

2 semesters. Christ on a motherfucking cracker.

Yes, please get a good trusted friend you can rely on. There was absolutely no reason you had to go through this shit.

Oh yeah, and we wanna know what happens to your hair too.

Mohandas knowing exactly what to do because he's got a daughter just gave even my crusty, hard-shelled ass an "aww" moment.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Vouch, coming from a black lady. My mom used that stuff on my hair. I use other stuff now, because I like trying new products.

Start combing from the ends, then upwards towards the scalp. Wide tooth comb of couse.
    My mom used this on my sister and I's hair when we were younger( we are multi-culti ) and my sister uses it on my nephews hair which is crazy thick and curly and gets so tangled you could lose toys in it (true story I found a tiny Lego part in it before)

To the original poster I'm glad you are feeling better .

fgg

i wish my hair was thick enough to lose things in!
    Jazzy and sputnik like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

This! Glad you're going to seek a better emergency contact option, Gardenwitch. And tell your oldest that if you're so sick that he can't rouse you or get you to respond at all, then to call 911 no matter what his Grandma says.

Do see a doctor when you're strong enough. A friend of mine's wife almost died of West Nile a couple of years ago; she was in the hospital for a week or two and her symptoms were similar to what you've described. I think you're probably lucky you've got that cast iron immune system! It may've served you better than you think.

I love that Queen Helene stuff. I've had good results with it now and then in recent years, and it seems to me it's what my Mom used on me long ago when my hair got matted--I'm not black but I have very thick, frizzy waves and I went through this phase of HATING having my hair brushed. She had to use special products to fix it on a couple of occasions. I'm sure the olive oil will be great too. Don't even worry about getting it all rinsed out the first time; when you've got it detangled enough, leave the oil on a bit and put on a shower cap, even sleep with it before you wash your hair. It could probably use a deep condition after your ordeal. Good luck!
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I hope you're feeling better! Sounds like a nasty bug you got there. I've never been that sick, but did have a horrible case of the flu several years ago. My fever was 103 and I was a bit delirious. The doctor told me the importance of gatorade or something that replenishes your electrolytes. You need more than water for sure.

As for the hair, if I don't sleep with my hair up I will get a small mat at the nape of my neck. I use a leave in conditioner/detangling spray and just work it out.
    Isn't that little bastard knot just THE damn worst?!! Mine does that and it is THE most sensitive part of my hair! My mom always called that kind of a mat a "rat nest"... I can still hear that woman complaining about the damn rat's nests in my hair!

OP - another good product is "One and Only Argan Oil" products.... Amazon.com: one and only argan oil: Beauty

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Sorry I'm late to this - hope you are still recovering well and that you've managed to get your hair detangled. Mine is arse length too and I've had a few tangle terrors in my time. I always fall back on washing or at least soaking it and then dousing it in conditioner before spending time gently teasing out the knots with my favourite hairbrush (a Denman). After that I give it a damn good rinse through again and then shampoo to make sure all the conditioner is out. You can always do things the right way around (shampoo then condition) another day - this is just about getting rid of the rats nest.

I always try and make sure that I have put my hair in a braid before bed, even if I'm tipsy. It's as important a part of my routine as making sure I take my makeup off. The one time I have been as ill as you have been I was lucky in that I still had enough of my wits about me to drag my hair into some bastardized version of a braid before collapsing for the best part of a week. Trying to untangle a mat of hair at the back of my head was so much better than having to do the whole lot.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Isn't that little bastard knot just THE damn worst?!! Mine does that and it is THE most sensitive part of my hair! My mom always called that kind of a mat a "rat nest"... I can still hear that woman complaining about the damn rat's nests in my hair!

OP - another good product is "One and Only Argan Oil" products.... Amazon.com: one and only argan oil: Beauty
    My mom called it a rat's nest, too!! She would always tell me she was going to cut it out!! We used Johnson and Johnson No More Tangles when I was little to get that mess out!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information