Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Makeup issues

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I thought Accutane was sort of a last resort? I always heard it was for severe acne problems and might cause some serious side effects.
    I think it causes some liver damage over long period of use...
    Does anyone remember the pic Alice posted of an Acutane baby? So I assume it also causes birth defect.

I talked to hubby about Proactive since we are both acne prone, we are gonna order it.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Mooms, you're gonna love it. I swear, it works. You'll see the size of the bottles & wonder how that is supposed to last you, but just use tiny amounts - that's all you'll need. I never use up my bottles before the next batch arrives, except for the toner. That seems to go the quickest. I now just use it once a day, and use a different brand of toner at night.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Silver Member ChangingEventually's Avatar

Okay, I'm taking all these tips, except:

Powder doesn't work on my face. Most powder makeup is okay on my face at first, but then it gets flaky and you can actually see the powder on my face.

I don't really have regular acne, but I get pimples sometimes. They're not huge red things, really just small ones, but it looks bad when they're all in one area. I'm wearing makeup and keeping my hair around my face so it isn't that noticeable.

Okay, so I actually tried Proactive, and it didn't work for me. I only used it one month because I had a small pimple I needed to get rid of. Afterwards, it made my skin a little red around the cheeks, chin, and nose. Maybe it was an allergy or something.

Anyway, I've also noticed that my chin, nose, and sometimes forehead get oily, but the rest of my face is usually really dry. Why is everything so uneven?

You might need to use different products for the oily area and the dry area or use something that's for combination skin.

Keeping your hair around your face could actually worsen your acne cuz it will poke and irritate yout skin and/or bring bacteria and things onto it.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I thought Accutane was sort of a last resort? I always heard it was for severe acne problems and might cause some serious side effects.
    I didn't have serious problems, just a seriously anti-pimple derm - we tried other things before using the big guns - an hormonal treatment and vitamin A cream - but Accutane is the only drug that shrinks the sebaceous glands and it my case it was the right answer. They make it very clear that you cannot get pregnant while on the drug and you have to take regular bloodtests through the course to check that everything is ok so it is closely monitored. Some people have complained about depression while on Accutane and tests on mices have recently shown that they could get depressed with a form of retinoid (apparently a mouse is depressed when it doesn't bother to escape when given the chance to do so)...but for me it worked very well

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Keeping your hair around your face could actually worsen your acne cuz it will poke and irritate yout skin and/or bring bacteria and things onto it.
    This is SO true! Once I grew my hair long and started pulling it off my face almost daily, my skin changed entirely! I don't know if it was bacteria, irritation or maybe even a product allergy ... but my skin is almost perfect now. I get one pimple a month, usually near my 'ladies days'.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingEventually View Post
    Okay, I have a really big problem. I can't find ANY makeup that is my real color. So, I usually mix some. But even that isn't working. My face is somehow always the tiniest bit paler or darker than my neck.

Also, I have oily oily oily skin. When I wear makeup, I look shiny around my nose and on my chin. If I blot it out, the makeup comes off too. I have a bunch of pimples on my chin this week too (like, six in a row, it's scary, I've never had this much before), so I'm depending on makeup.

Any recommendations?
    Hmm. About the foundation, have you tried using a primer? Sometimes it really helps. Smashbox's color correcting ones are great; I swear by them. About the shine, avoid powder. I have very oily skin as well, so I'd be blotting it constantly and applying powder, which just leads to more breakouts. Instead, you could try a matte cream, like MAC's Matte or Smashbox's Anti-Shine. The MAC works best before makeup; the Smashbox works best after.
    2 years...

Silver Member ChangingEventually's Avatar

Okay, other problem:

Lighting.

Now, my makeup and face look better in the dark. But when it gets to really bright lighting, my face is lit up and it just looks weird and so many people have told me that you can really see my makeup at that time.

I'm making a list of all the products you guys are mentioning and taking it to my makeup person to see what works best on me.

I agree with the poster saying Prescriptive foundation is good. It's too pricey for me. So now I use MAC Studio Fix Liquid. It is so much better than the Studio Fix powder.

But when it gets to really bright lighting, my face is lit up and it just looks weird and so many people have told me that you can really see my makeup at that time.
    I read that to make your makeup look natural, don't directly put any on the edges of your face, you start at the centre and then blend and blend outwards.

Silver Member Green-eyed-hottie's Avatar

I totally LOVE Proactiv.. I started using it like month ago and my skin never (NEVER) looked better/smoother... and it's just amazing to touch! Yay!
    Powders- I use that Maybelline dream matte mousse, and because of its texture (its not liquid) it doesn't look glossy on your skin,but rather very natural... So I think it works for oily skin...
    "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"

Bronze Member

proactive doesn't work for me at all nor any of my siblings but lately i've been using Obagi. it really works. it takes care of the acne, different skin pigmentation, and the oil. my face isn't oily like it use to be and i rarely get acne. it's so expensive tho so if you are going to try it you should really think about it before getting it. it's worth it's money tho.

if i ever use foundation i use bareminerals. altho i rarely ever use foundation tho.

^^ I'm looking at their website. Their products sound pretty good. I get pigmentation easily, too so I'd be interested in trying some of their stuff. Do you get it thru a dematologist?

Bronze Member

moomies
    i'm not sure if you are asking me or not but i'll answer newho.
    i don't think the dermatologists has obagi unless they have been "licensed" (note the qoutation mark because i'm not exaclty sure if license is the right word) to sell the product. if you go to obagi website, you can do a search for a place that sells obagi near you.

the place that i went to was a office that was owned by a docter but the person that "perscribed" the product was a nurse. the office was more of a place for waxing, botox, and such but i think they get most of their money from obagi product.

ok so my description (of the place where i get it) may make the product sound shady but really the product is very good. it's worth the money. altho if you don't have acne (i mean fairly bad acne), scars, or such then you shouldn't try it. if your skin is fairly ok then it'll be a waste for you.

FYI, i use the Nu Derm system. there are two system in the Obagi but Nu Derm is the stronger one of the two and works faster. prices range from $300-$500. if you are worried about the price then look for a place that sells if for lesser price. i bought mine for $500 but my cousin looked around and gets hers from a place that sells for $300. yea so i'm saving so i can get a another set.

also i wanted to say that when you use this, you'll peel so you won't look too pretty for a while but in the long run your face will be nice.

oh one last thing, there is a makeup line that is sold with the obagi too. well i mean you would have to buy it separetly from the obagi. my cousin buys the foundation and other stuff from that makeup line and she likes it. she says it doesn't make her break out as much (if ever). maybe you can try that line of makeup. (note: my obagi came with a free powder foundation).

so it helps with color pigmentation, oily skin (yes it truly works), and acne scars or scars in general. i have yet to find out if it works for pores. it shrinks my pores but have yet to find out if it'll go away completely.

sorry for such a long reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingEventually View Post
    My face is somehow always the tiniest bit paler or darker than my neck.
    I look shiny around my nose and on my chin. If
    I have a bunch of pimples on my chin .

Any recommendations?
    Hi, dear! I know exactly what is your problem!
    Right, you have to be careful with the foundation. Maybe it is the right nuance, but too much or too less might alterate your colour! Before you wear foundation, make sure to use some (almost) white non-fluid concealer. You'll look with white blotches, but it doesn't matter!! It helps you not to accentuate your pimps with the shadowing of the foundation!! I've one from Maybelline, called True Beige number 12: hot!!!
    Then, you finally wear your foundation and the colour will be much more balnced!!
    Then be sure to put a bit of powder on chin and around your nose (but not really too much oin the rest of your face, you don't wanna look like a drag queen!): it helps to stop the "oil effect".
    If the colour is not still balanced, put bit of blush on your neck. Do I help?????????????????????????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information