Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Layering your own hair

My stylist does her own hair, and she has a really short hair with a ton of layers. She positions a lot of stand-alone mirrors around her and just whacks into it.

It does look good, but I wouldn't try it unless you're a trained stylist, or prepared to spend whatever it takes in money and/or hair to fix it if you screw it up.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'd not to it, sure hair grows back -- but it takes months and then still a trip to the stylist to undo a homemade cut gone wrong.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Bronze Member

Why not go to one of those beauty colleges, they are way cheaper then a salon, and you can ask for a student about to graduate, not nearly as risky as attempting yourself, and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by andyfan View Post
    Why not go to one of those beauty colleges, they are way cheaper then a salon, and you can ask for a student about to graduate, not nearly as risky as attempting yourself, and cheaper.
    bingo! Good answer!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by andyfan View Post
    I looked into them. Most don't want to do trims and layers. Thanks for the concern, I know that it sounds like a horrible thing to do, but I have plenty to work with. My freakin horse hair is long and grows really fast. I plan on only cutting maybe an inch, nothing to drastic. I am going to try the ponytail method. It's all over the internet, so it can't be that bad. Jeez, after reading all these comments, I find myself trying to convince myself that this is a good thing. The reason for all this is that I broke up with my hair stylist. So, finding a new one just doesn't sound like fun.

i wouldn't do it
    there are plenty of high end salons that have days of the week where their jr. stylists offer discounts on cuts...they may not be cutting to their full potential because they are new, but its better than doing it yourself and potentially messing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I wouldn't go near my hair with a pair of scissors.
    me neither.
    a good haircut is worth it. i'd find something else to cut in order to save money on.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I couldn't do it.

I often cut my own hair. But then: it's curly, so mistakes are less noticable than with straight hair. I don't know if I'd dare cut my own hair if it were straight.....
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

dont cut your own hair!

go to either .... a less posh place (kinda getto like) they'll be cheaper
    or try a beauty school they let the stdents cut ur hair for wayy cheap and they do a good job

Silver Member

I did this freshman year in college, drunk in my dorm room. Not recommended lol. Everytime I've even colored my own hair, I end up in the hair chair $250 lighter.

For a long time a girl we really liked...who had been cutting my husband's hair since before we were married...had been doing all of our hair, but then she quit the biz altogether and we just haven't found anyone else. So I've been cutting my own hair for awhile now. I always get my husband to check the back just to make sure, but he's given the thumbs up for a long time now so I figure I have it down. I also do his and our son's, but that's much much easier for me because I used to do both my brothers' when we were younger and all still lived at home.

I have to section mine off and all, but I have it down to a science now. It's long, of course, so that's probably why I can do this. Actually, I haven't even done it much lately (layering) because I am trying to grow it out to cut off and donate. So I've only been trimming ends. It's actually driving me nuts now cause it's thick too, and gets heavy when it gets past a certain point in length or when it's not at least somewhat long-layered. But I'm gonna try and hold out til the end of this year.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    I often cut my own hair. But then: it's curly, so mistakes are less noticable than with straight hair. I don't know if I'd dare cut my own hair if it were straight.....
    One of my brothers had thick, coarse curly hair that was good practice when I first started doing it for him because it was hard to mess up!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I haven't cut my own hair since I cut my bangs halfway up my forehead when I was a teenager. But that was the 80's, so I just teased the hell out of it and no one noticed.

I cut my own hair particularly bangs. I don't have any qualms about it. I get a really good hair cut about 3 times a year and then I cut it myself in between. Layering is super easy if you just get up the confidence. I don't use the pony tail method.

I section my hair off and you only need to do a few sections at a time. I take a section (I separate at the back in horizontal pieces, and then obviously similarly on the sides). I take a medium sized section and twist it up. I then take the scissors and lightly run them down the chunk of hair so that hair is being cut from wherever you want the layer to begin (I usually start 4 inches below the bottom when my hair is v long). So basically i do that and then I release the hair from the twist, hold the section straight and take the scissors and cut vertically into the ends just to make sure you don't get super defined layers (bc then you'll be really regretting cutting it yourself). I hope this explanation has been helpful.

And I get frequent compliments on hair cuts so they don't look DIY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information