Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Laser Hair Removal: My Log

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default Re: Laser Hair Removal: My Log

Anyways, can you post some pics if you don't mind? I want to see how your skin looks after the treatment etc.
    omg seriously? or r u some kind of perv?! its the bikini area u know and it ain't pretty...yet!

but its getting theres.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

oh i had forgotten about that, thought maybe you were getting your pits done...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

hahaha ^ no thats next for sure! mine look like a damn black rainforest i don't even kno why i bother shaving!

So I waxed my pits last week and the hair is already growing back. I'm sick of my unwanted hair and I'm considering either laser or electrolysis.

For those who have done either, can you give me some idea as to how much it cost for which area?

I'm looking into some laser hair removal clinics in Vancouver...Here's something I found though....

Many clinics that have advertised "guaranteed permanent hair removal" have gone out of business, or change their corporate names when they become unable to honor their guarantees of "permanent hair removal." Many of these "guarantees" are simply assurances that you hair will be finer for a short period of time. Age, ethnicity, weight, metabolism, medication, and hormones all play a role in the location, resilience, and thickness of hair. It is difficult, if not impossible, to predict how many treatments each individual will require to achieve the best long term benefits. Experience to date with laser hair reduction suggests that the hair reduction achieved may be permanent, but an honest, reputable physician cannot guarantee this fact.
    http://www.vancouverlaser.com/laser_hair_removal.htm

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

If I had tons of disposable $$$ & felt comfortable that I would alway have it, I would go with laser. It's less painful & time-consuming than electrolysis.

Otherwise, if I had a fixed amount of $$$ for hair removal, & the more permanent the better, I'd go with electrolysis.

Lasering was great for a while, but now, it's as if I never had it done.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I do not have a lot of disposable $$$. It's just that the laser clinics I see around look all nice and new while places that do electrolysis (at least the ones I've seen) look like some dingy hair salons that do it on the side type of thing...
    I'll do some further research.

I heard that electrolysis can make your pores/hair folicle look larger? Is this true?

Ooh, now that I do not know (about the pores).

I don't know why the places would look so different. I guess because laser machines are probably hugely expensive, so if you can afford one, you probably have either a nice large new business loan, or you are piggybacking the lasering business onto an already profitable business (like my plastic surgeon did.)

Electrolysis has been around forever. I dunno how expensive the equipment is. Surely not too much. Lasering is just trendy right now.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I think I'll go to this place, sounds pretty good since it's affliated with our local university. I've been to their dermatology centre b4, too.
    http://www.dermatology.org/hairlaser/
    (warning, disturbing photo of bikini line on the site )

I'm glad that I did it, only because I can go much longer without shaving....and what does grow back is not the stubbly stuff.

KD
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    I think I'll go to this place, sounds pretty good since it's affliated with our local university. I've been to their dermatology centre b4, too.
    http://www.dermatology.org/hairlaser/
    (warning, disturbing photo of bikini line on the site )
    Be sure to post before and after pictures!!

KIDDING!

damn i'm having my 5th treatment tomorrow and i still have hair down there! I'm willing to buy 6 more treatments; but no more than that!

OMG THIS IS SCARY! GOOD THING I ONLY USE A SMALL AMOUNT AND EVEN FORGET SOMETIMES!!!

Overuse of skin numbing creams can cause death, FDA says
    Story Highlights

• Overuse of skin-numbing creams can cause irregular heartbeats and even death
    • Creams and lotions often used in conjunction with cosmetic procedures
    • Use in large amounts can cause a lethal dose of chemicals to enter bloodstream

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- People who use large amounts of skin-numbing creams and lotions, often in conjunction with cosmetic procedures, are at risk of irregular heartbeats, seizures and even death, U.S. health officials warned Tuesday.

The Food and Drug Administration, citing two deaths, said such topical anesthetics can be applied in amounts so large that a lethal dose of the chemicals can enter the bloodstream.

A 22-year-old woman and a 25-year-old woman who applied numbing creams after laser hair removal on their legs later died, the agency said

After the procedure, "these women then wrapped their legs in plastic wrap, as they were instructed, to increase the creams' numbing effect. Both women had seizures, fell into comas, and subsequently died from the toxic effects of the anesthetic drugs," the FDA said.

Numbing creams and lotions, available both by prescription and over the counter, are approved to soothe burning or itching skin as well as pain before, during and after various procedures. They contain numbing drugs that can include lidocaine, tetracaine, benzocaine and prilocaine.

But the FDA said consumers should be cautious about using them without medical supervision.

Leaving the creams on the skin for long periods of time or on large portions of their bodies can increase the risk, officials have said. Small children and people with heart or severe liver disease are also at higher risk.

People considering skin-related cosmetic or medical procedures should talk to their doctors about whether they need numbing creams, the agency said. If so, they should use one that is FDA-approved and contains the lowest amount of anesthetic possible.

"You should also discuss with your doctor whether there are other ways to reduce the pain you may feel during the procedure," it added.

In December, the FDA also warned five pharmacies that mixed their own versions of topical anesthetics.

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    Overuse of skin numbing creams can cause death, FDA says - CNN.com
    BUT I followed instructions which for me was just to put on up to 45 minutes before and then wipe off with water and a washclothe right before the procedure and not to rub it in! *phew*

lidocaine, benzocaine

I think these two may be in regular OTC anti-itch creams as numbing agents... I use some OTC creams if I get a rash (I get heat rash in summer). Maybe they come in lower dosage than what's used for cosmetic procedures though.

If you didn't use such creams, how much would laser hurt? If I were getting it done, I might consider doing it without...

Scary...

its really not that bad; as a woman; I'm sure you're very tolerant of pain once the initial shock wares off right?! No its not all that bad once you get used to it really. There's a couple times that it painful, but its short and goes away. try it once and remember you don't have to all the way through with it if you don't want to!

The pain really depends on where it is. I bet I could get my legs done without the cream at all (but my legs are pretty tolerant to pain, I pluck out my hairs) and my underarms as well. But my bikini area - different story. Even WITH the cream I was in pain. But it is short and goes away quickly (i.e. it feels like a burn but the pain doesn't linger like a real burn does).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information