Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57

Thread: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

  1. #46
    Elite Member Moongirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cal-i-for-nigh-ay!
    Posts
    7,921

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by dakodas
    The flakes and the inability to moisturize adequately point to the need to exfoliate. This must be done gently since it sounds like you are already irritated. Do it biochemicaly rather than with a scrub. Try AHAs and/or BHAs to find out which one you can use without irritation.
    Actually, I cleanse my face with a washcloth or scrubber gently
    every day, otherwise the pores around my nose and on my chin look clogged. I'm almost afraid to try a chemical exfoliator; since my regular moisturizer "burns" after I apply it, I would think and AHA or BHA would burn even more.

  2. #47
    Elite Member dakodas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,588

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl
    Actually, I cleanse my face with a washcloth or scrubber gently
    every day, otherwise the pores around my nose and on my chin look clogged. I'm almost afraid to try a chemical exfoliator; since my regular moisturizer "burns" after I apply it, I would think and AHA or BHA would burn even more.
    Well, the fact that you have FLAKES tell us there is dead skin hanging around. Your skin sounds irritated and sensitive. There are many A/BHAs mixtures which are not too strong. The concentration in many brands you can read on the label. All that an AHA will do is loosen the "glue" that is holding all that dead skin to your face. It will help them slough off naturally. What moisturizer are you using that burns? I think you are over scrubbing.

    I re-read your original post and think you should see a dermatologist. It seems you may have a hormonal issue and your skin is already irritated and dry. I wouldn't start doing other stuff to it, without medical advice. YOou are using sunscreen, right?

  3. #48
    Elite Member Moongirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cal-i-for-nigh-ay!
    Posts
    7,921

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by dakodas
    Well, the fact that you have FLAKES tell us there is dead skin hanging around. Your skin sounds irritated and sensitive. There are many A/BHAs mixtures which are not too strong. The concentration in many brands you can read on the label. All that an AHA will do is loosen the "glue" that is holding all that dead skin to your face. It will help them slough off naturally. What moisturizer are you using that burns? I think you are over scrubbing.

    I re-read your original post and think you should see a dermatologist. It seems you may have a hormonal issue and your skin is already irritated and dry. I wouldn't start doing other stuff to it, without medical advice. YOou are using sunscreen, right?
    The moisturizer I have been using has an SPF of 15; I'm not out in the sun a lot, but I know that's not a good excuse. BUT, I had not been using it for the past few days because it made the skin in my t-zone "burn" upon application. It may be hormonal, as you say, because it only occurs around the time of my menses. Also, it only started happening about 3 years ago, when I had my tubes tied and stopped using birth control pills, though prior to using them I didn't have this problem.

  4. #49
    Elite Member dakodas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,588

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl
    The moisturizer I have been using has an SPF of 15; I'm not out in the sun a lot, but I know that's not a good excuse. BUT, I had not been using it for the past few days because it made the skin in my t-zone "burn" upon application. It may be hormonal, as you say, because it only occurs around the time of my menses. Also, it only started happening about 3 years ago, when I had my tubes tied and stopped using birth control pills, though prior to using them I didn't have this problem.
    Poor thing. I am out of advice because (for once, ha!) I realized I am talking out of my ass because I have experienced flaky irritated skin, but with an obvious cause and cure. (Usually winter weather and heating, poor exfoliation) Before you bother with the doctor have you tried Makeup Alley boards? They have a skincare board with women who have tried every product on the market, especially for problem skin. Make sure you give details. They also have great reviews. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

  5. #50
    Elite Member Moongirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cal-i-for-nigh-ay!
    Posts
    7,921

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by dakodas
    Poor thing. I am out of advice because (for once, ha!) I realized I am talking out of my ass because I have experienced flaky irritated skin, but with an obvious cause and cure. (Usually winter weather and heating, poor exfoliation) Before you bother with the doctor have you tried Makeup Alley boards? They have a skincare board with women who have tried every product on the market, especially for problem skin. Make sure you give details. They also have great reviews. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

    Thanks for your help and suggestions!

  6. #51
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    Actually, a dermatologist told me that the rough (white side) of orange peel is good to rub on your skin because it lessens red marks, blemishes and age spots. I've tried it, and it works.
    I can't wait to try this!!!

    I've read on a few boards that washing your face with any type of anti-dandruff shampoo keeps acne at bay. I've never tried it, but my sister swears by it.

    I swear allegiance to aspirin masks. My skin looks clear (when normally it looks very dull), and no more breakouts even during that time o' the month.

    Adding a little baking soda or sugar to a gentle scrub like Cetaphil works as nice exfoliator.

    This might sound wacky, but I got this tip from makeupalley: use Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel Powder as a face primer before applying makeup (use it over moistuizer, under makeup). It dries to a silky, dry finish and your makeup stays in place all day, even during hot/humid weather. I've tried it and it works wonders.

  7. #52
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    19,837

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    My son's gf is off Proactive now. Her secret...she does not wash her face very often. And never uses any kind of soap. She cleans it with a warm washcloth, but not hot. My son does this too now and no more break outs on his chin area. He has oily skin too.

    "A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

  8. #53
    SVZ
    SVZ is offline
    Do fish have boogers? SVZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    1,000,003,609

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    I've read on a few boards that washing your face with any type of anti-dandruff shampoo keeps acne at bay. I've never tried it, but my sister swears by it.
    it's probably because of the zinc and in some cases salicyclic acid. i'd be careful about the fragrance

  9. #54
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    how often do you suggest doing the aspirin masks?

  10. #55
    Elite Member Moongirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cal-i-for-nigh-ay!
    Posts
    7,921

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by dakodas
    Poor thing. I am out of advice because (for once, ha!) I realized I am talking out of my ass because I have experienced flaky irritated skin, but with an obvious cause and cure. (Usually winter weather and heating, poor exfoliation) Before you bother with the doctor have you tried Makeup Alley boards? They have a skincare board with women who have tried every product on the market, especially for problem skin. Make sure you give details. They also have great reviews. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
    Just to follow-up, I *tried* going on the Makeup Alley boards, but of course had to sign up; as of today, I am [B]still[B]waiting for them to send me a password that allows me to log-on to their boards. I've re-requested it a couple of times, but nothing was sent. I think what I'm going to do is look for a daily cleanser that has and AHA or BHA, and maybe that will allow me to exfoliate more thoroughly and avoid flaking.

  11. #56
    Bronze Member Elabars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Turkistan
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    If you have an oily skin you can apply this mask twice a week or more.It helps to reduce the pimples and oil of the skin.

    You should mix some Green clay with a little bit yoghurt and lemon juice and apply it.My niece tried it and she says it works.

  12. #57
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,983

    Default Re: Home Remedies (SKIN CARE!!!)

    Some talcum powder on a zit overnight does wonders. It sounded dodgy to me when I first heard it but it actually works.

    Getting plenty of fluids is also important for your skin. I'm on a diet now and I eat a lot of vegetables (cucumbers and stuff) and make sure to drink 6-8 glasses of water per day. I've seen a huge difference on my skin, it's positively glowing and I'm not really doing much in the way of skincare products

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone use philosophy skin care?
    By heather.rn in forum Products and Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 30th, 2006, 05:02 AM
  2. Appropriate Skin Care Products for African-American Skin
    By NoDayButToday in forum Beauty and Skincare
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM
  3. Anybody try Dr Wexler skin care line?
    By Zee in forum Products and Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM
  4. Vitamin E - The Skin Care Scoop - By Paula Begoun
    By SVZ in forum Beauty and Skincare
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2005, 05:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •