Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help wanted, for more "mature" skin?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Hot men keep you youthful?
    They sure do..lol,but you gotta be hot yourself to get them..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    OK, hormone treatments of any kind are out.

Please bear in mind that
    A) I'm in the UK (with extremely limited access to dermatologists & US perscription drugs)
    B) my skin is very delicate (today anything other than Clinque's "exceptionally smoothing cream for upset skin" will "hurt like a m*th*rf*cker"), so don't want these corrective peels, etc.
    C) today I'm allergic, because, well, because it wants to be.....

I'm more interested in keeping the collagen in my skin and would be interested in help on how to do this.

The good news is that we all agree on sun & sun damage - and I've spent 20 yrs sunblocked & in the shade...
    Retinoids will help with the collagen. Prescription are best, but there are now many skin care products with nice doses of retinoids- even in the drugstores, like ROC, etc. They can be eased into for sensitive skin.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

['m more interested in keeping the collagen in my skin and would be interested in help on how to do this.]

Aside from UV protection, nothing designed for regular topical use will be more effective in preserving healthy collagen levels than a prescription retinoid. I mean nothing. I can assure you your derm will agree with me 100%.

These rx medications can make a significant difference, not only in collagen production but also inhibition of the enzymes that break down collagen.

The difference between drugstore and rx retinoids is going to be something like a factor of 10 or more in efficacy. So don't waste your money. Real changes take about six months of aggressive use.

like this.
    http://images.the-scientist.com/cont...fore_after.jpg

You don't have to be severely damaged to get a benefit. Kligman recommends rx retinoids for preteen celtic types, the ones with freckles and red hair that are so prone to sun damage.

But you don't have to take my word for it. It would be best to see a derm and work with him or her to find an effective formulation and frequency of application that you can tolerate. The doctor might give adjuncts that will help you through the first two or three weeks, which is when most of the irritation takes place.

If you must always stay at the zero irritation level, you will probably not get more than minimal results. Unfortunately, efficacy is proportional to irritation.

Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2006 Jan 21;150(3):140-2

[From the Cochrane Library: Improvement of photodamaged skin with retinoid creams and not with other local treatments]

[Article in Dutch]

Hamerlynck JV, Middeldorp S, Scholten RJ.
    Academisch Medisch Centrum/Universiteit van Amsterdam, Dutch Cochrane Centre, Amsterdam. j.v.hamerlynck@amc.uva.nl

A Cochrane systematic review of 30 randomised clinical trials assessed the effects of current treatments for adults with mild-to-severe changes in facial and forearm skin that occurred as a result of prolonged exposure to the sun ('photodamage'). Topical tretinoin > or = 0.02% improved the appearance of mild-to-severe photodamage. Tazarotene 0.01-0.1% and isotretinoin 0.1% provided benefit to patients with moderate photodamage. The treatment duration was 4-11 months. Adverse effects were pain and redness. Both the efficacy and adverse effects were dose-dependent. Other treatments, such as polysaccharides, hydroxy acids, surgical procedures and laser, cannot be recommended.
    PMID: 16463616 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

My fav and it doesn't cost too much is buying jojoba lotion and adding gotu kola to it....you can buy online pretty inexpensively online....but if you put the two together it makes for a good wrinkle killer. The two ingredients help to plump the skin. No SPF tho.

I still swear by retin A, religious use of sunblock, and lots of fruits (berries, peaches) and veggies. Omega 3 though is something I need in my diet if I really want to max out what I know works (fish oil and walnuts).

If I am not getting adequate rest and exercise, my skin shows it.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Quote Originally Posted by marina View Post
    ['m more interested in keeping the collagen in my skin and would be interested in help on how to do this.]

Aside from UV protection, nothing designed for regular topical use will be more effective in preserving healthy collagen levels than a prescription retinoid. I mean nothing. I can assure you your derm will agree with me 100%.

These rx medications can make a significant difference, not only in collagen production but also inhibition of the enzymes that break down collagen.

The difference between drugstore and rx retinoids is going to be something like a factor of 10 or more in efficacy. So don't waste your money. Real changes take about six months of aggressive use.
    So where do you suggest that I get these from since I'm outside the US system?

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    I still swear by retin A, religious use of sunblock, and lots of fruits (berries, peaches) and veggies. Omega 3 though is something I need in my diet if I really want to max out what I know works (fish oil and walnuts).

If I am not getting adequate rest and exercise, my skin shows it.
    You know - I have great hair (thick, dark, enough curl to give it loads of body) which I attribute to a great diet, but when I add a fish oil suppliment my hair, skin & nails get even better. I agree it makes a great difference.

I'm still warey of retin A as even OTC products containing it irritate my skin.

So... I've been using a decleor moisturising mask thats been working well, plus my clinique face cream (as mentioned before).
    As I'm post-surgical (with complications - typical!) I 'm getting 12 hours sleep at the moment and do need it. I can't wait to get back out to start exercising again Aries! You're right there, but I think it does my head better then my skin....
    Last edited by Novice; December 27th, 2008 at 08:28 AM.
    Free Charmed.

^^Novice, Retin A and Tazorac are rx retinoids. I don't believe there are other rx retinoids on the market currently. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks Qwerty, then they are something that I am unable to obtain.
    Free Charmed.

^^online Canadian pharmacies?

Zee

My skin also can't handle retinoids. I use topical vitamin c powder and blend it into my moisturizer. Skin looks brighter and it's worked better on my age spots than lighteners.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I'm still warey of retin A as even OTC products containing it irritate my skin.
    My first year of use often included me looking like a red zombie shedding a layer of skin. It's not a year I would like to repeat lol. I can't recall if I posted this here, but one time my mom was looking closely at my face and noticed the freckles across my nose and cheeks were gone - that's how good retin A has been to me after several years of regular use.

The downside now is that when my skin is dry, it's super dry, as in cracked.

As I'm post-surgical (with complications - typical!) I 'm getting 12 hours sleep at the moment and do need it. I can't wait to get back out to start exercising again Aries! You're right there, but I think it does my head better then my skin....
    oh no! I hope you're doing well soon. Poo on complications! Take your time and rest plenty. Sorry to hear about this.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

smf

i use retin a 0.025 ,in the generic ,and it just gives me a lil tingling on my skin after i put it on ,no peeling,redness nothin ,everyone else seems to have these symtoms at 1st ,am i wasting my money

Several years ago, I was able to use Retin A 4-5 x a week without much problem with extreme dryness. Tazorac has been a different story though. Maybe it's because I'm a little older, but my skin can only handle that stuff 3-4x a week. I still put up with skin peeling with that frequency of use. I just use a good natural moisturizer and use a wash cloth to slough off the excess skin.

I'm just not willing to give up retinoid use so I'm willing to endure the side effects.

SMF - There were long periods of time with my Retin A use where I had no issues with peeling or dryness even with the higher concentrations. It doesn't mean it's not working. However, .025% is the lowest dosage I believe.

If you're really keen on seeing some peeling or redness, get the .05 or .10 concentration. They're much stronger. Invest in a good moisturizer. I can't imagine .025 is doing much for your skin unless you're 20 years old with little sun exposure.

Ah!
    I'm lucky in that I have no freckles (nor age spots - yet...) Maybe this is due to generous use of SPFs?
    The dryness worries me, since my skin is very dry normally anyway, but I have ordered the smallest tube of Retin-A, with the least active ingredient (0.05%) that I could find.
    Sooooo..... what do I do with it when I have it????

I think that I'll use it on my decollage before I use it on my face as if I have sun damage - this is here it is....

Aries - thanks love! I'm much better, it was just unexpected!

N.B. I take a high dosage of oral VitC to specifically help with cell renewal to help recovery and due to my original diagnosis.
    Free Charmed.

Novice, is Retin A over the counter in the UK?

Per my experience, it is best to use it sparingly. A little bit goes a long way in terms of coverage. The skin on your decolletage is a lot hardier (I think that's a word) than your face so I'm not sure you'll see much in the way of redness or flaky skin. Results happen over time - you'll probably start seeing some changes in about 3 months and more so over the course of a year.

If you want to use on your face, I would not use it everyday - maybe every 2 or 3 days to start and every other day as your tolerance builds.

Everybody's skin is different, you'll have to figure out the right dosage based on trial and error.

Also, according to my dermatologist who was involved in the original Retin A clinical trials in the 80's, retin A must be applied on the skin alone. That is, do not combine with moisturizer or other skincare product because it will inactivate the Retin A.

And now's not the time to stop your diligent use of sunscreen! Retin A will make your skin photosensitive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information