Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help wanted, for more "mature" skin?

Qwerty, yes you are right - a retinoid is what I meant. I'm on Tretinoin which is also very drying but definitely worth it because of the results.

How flattering that people think you are that much younger. Obviously you have found a skin care routine that works.

Zee

My favorite to even skin texture is a honey aspirin mask weekly. The honey helps to moisturize while the aspirin sloughs off skin.

Want to get some "age" spots zapped off of my cheekbones next year. Until then, I just slap on some concealer

My skin needs a bit more coverage now but I haven't found a foundation that I'm really happy with using.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    NGL, I too am concerned how the coming hormonal changes will affect my skin. You're doing preventative things now with your skincare. Unless you want to get things like botox and chemical peels, it seems like you and I are ahead of the game. My dermatologist thinks that thanks to my diligence with sunscreen especially, my skin will continue to age well despite the hormonal changes. I can't expect to look like I'm in my 20s forever but if I can look 35/40 (more 35 I hope) when I'm 50 (without extraordinary measures) I guess I should be happy.
    Thanks Qwerty, unfort my hormonal changes are rather more imminent....

I've spoken to my hair dressers and she's been great - the collegen-thing sounds good; but I rather think that my Dr isn't going to be good for a perscription*. My condition excludes HRT which they (a number of different GPs/doctors) have suggested. I have to tell them each time, no, I can't have that.... it gets a little old!

*doesn't mean I'm not going to try!

My rosacea has improved dramatically, but as I normally have dry & sensitive skin I'm a little worried about aggrivating it.
    Free Charmed.

^Novice, don't know if I am remembering this correctly but aren't you undergoing fertility treatments? If so, then no doctor will prescribe you a retinoid while you are trying to get/are pregnant. Vitamin A in large doses can cause birth defects. Otherwise, can you get a GP referral to a dermatologist for the rosacea and then hit him/her up for a Rx? Is the NHS that bad? A dermatologist would not deny you a retinoid prescription.

For the rosacea, still look into the topical alpha lipoic acid. It's an antioxidant that's 400 times stronger than Vitamin C. There's lots of good stuff about it on the internet. Again, my friend's rosacea went away with the ALA. Nothing else worked.

^Novice, don't know if I am remembering this correctly but aren't you undergoing fertility treatments? If so, then no doctor will prescribe you a retinoid while you are trying to get/are pregnant. Vitamin A in large doses can cause birth defects.

For the rosacea, still look into the topical alpha lipoic acid. It's an antioxidant that's 400 times stronger than Vitamin C. There's lots of good stuff about it on the internet. Again, my friend's rosacea went away with the ALA. Nothing else worked.
    Erm.. yeah.. well, we've moved on from that.... and lets just put it this way... my hormonal changes are happening earlier rather than later. Oh, and I'll never be having biological kids (which is probably a blessing, I'm just one of a kind I guess!)
    Free Charmed.

A*O

Your skins's propensity to wrinkles and lines is, I'm afraid, largely genetic or bad luck. You can minimise the damage but without botox or other PS you get what you're given to a large extent. However, the Enemy #1 for your skin is the sun, closely followed by tobacco.

Don't waste money on expensive 'miracle' face creams. Anything with added vitamins is fine, eg, Olay and it MUST have a sunscreen (SPF +15) summer AND winter.

I have 'mature' skin and bless the fact that I've never been a sun worshipper and I still have fairly oily skin which is a curse when you are a teen but a real blessing when you get older. So far I have a forehead Nicole K would be proud of and no crows feet around my eyes. The only potential problem is the beginnings of a "puppet mouth" - those deep lines down from the corners of my mouth and cream won't fix them. If they get too bad I will get them fixed.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Erm.. yeah.. well, we've moved on from that.... and lets just put it this way... my hormonal changes are happening earlier rather than later. Oh, and I'll never be having biological kids (which is probably a blessing, I'm just one of a kind I guess!)
    It's OK Novice. I'm seeing the start of some (minor) changes too. What can you do?

Thanks A*O.

My gran swore by Sunlight soap and a flannel & I know that I take after her skin wise - but I have to admit that I've worn a sunscreen for most of my life, even in a poor english summer it takes about 20 mins for me to burn.
    I stopped smoking a few years ago so hopefully it hasn't taken too much of a battering recently....

I never thought I'd be envious of oily skin!

It's OK Novice. I'm seeing the start of some (minor) changes too. What can you do?
    Hell, Qwerty, I'm going kicking and screaming! That's what I'm doing! LOL!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Your skins's propensity to wrinkles and lines is, I'm afraid, largely genetic or bad luck. You can minimise the damage but without botox or other PS you get what you're given to a large extent. However, the Enemy #1 for your skin is the sun, closely followed by tobacco.

Don't waste money on expensive 'miracle' face creams. Anything with added vitamins is fine, eg, Olay and it MUST have a sunscreen (SPF +15) summer AND winter.

I have 'mature' skin and bless the fact that I've never been a sun worshipper and I still have fairly oily skin which is a curse when you are a teen but a real blessing when you get older. So far I have a forehead Nicole K would be proud of and no crows feet around my eyes. The only potential problem is the beginnings of a "puppet mouth" - those deep lines down from the corners of my mouth and cream won't fix them. If they get too bad I will get them fixed.
    ^^I think you're right about genetics being involved. Black and asian skin do age better than white skin for example. And among Caucasians, Northern Europeans tend to age faster than Southern Europeans because the latter's skin is thinner and has less melanin. Northern Europeans have to think more about their preventative skincare. That said, I can't discount the benefits of being half Italian in this regard.

I forgot to add before and I don't think they were mentioned: it's very important to get enough sleep and don't drink alcohol!!

and that is what I am! A Northern European with thin, pale sensitive skin!

I'm a celt - pale skin, burn every time dark hair.... (and yes, I am part welsh, we just don't talk about it! LOL!)
    Free Charmed.

^^Novice, I'm also half Irish and very pale so I understand. Vitamin C and faithful sunscreen/ sun cream use and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    and that is what I am! A Northern European with thin, pale sensitive skin!

I'm a celt - pale skin, burn every time dark hair.... (and yes, I am part welsh, we just don't talk about it! LOL!)
    Hey, me too! Pale skin, dark hair and half Welsh (the Welsh are awesome, thank you very much ). I also have ridiculously dry skin.

Obviously, I can't give you any advice that stems from first-hand experience, but my mum (the Welsh parent) has the same skin as me so I tend to look to her when I'm wondering how my skin will look, and how I should take care of it. She's 50 next year but has great skin for her age... easily the skin of a woman 10 years younger. It'd probably look even more youthful if she hadn't been a smoker for decades and hadn't spent her teen years giving into peer pressure and attempting (unsuccessfully) to tan in the harsh Aussie sun.

She doesn't really do anything for it, either. Just wears sunscreen, avoids the sun, and applies some sort of inexpensive moisturiser... Olay, I think. She knows better than to waste loads of money on expensive "anti-aging" ripoff gunk that doesn't even do anything. She also drinks gallons of tea per day - so I wonder if that helps?

She's already had to have one nasty skin growth removed before it could become malignant. God knows what her skin might be like if she hadn't come to her senses after high school and had kept roasting herself into her twenties and thirties.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Υeah,like i ll share my tips..not..lol
    Hot men keep you youthful?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Silver Member

I agree with the previous posters who mentioned prescription retinoids and sun avoidance (especially with high, stable UVA protection but don't forget your vitamin D pill). Topical C, not so much, but can be helpful in the right dose and formulation.

If you don't want to take oral hormones, topical hormones will plump up your skin by making it produce more of the water binding glycosaminoglycans, there will be very little hormone to make it through the dermis into the systemic circulation compared to taking them orally. Skin damage due to environmental insult accelerates after menopause so this helps after a certain age. Ovariectomized rats get much more damage from the same dose of UV radiation compared to rats with their ovaries intact.

Aside from that you can do periodic peels, the more serious ones that require a physician will do more serious "correction." If it doesn't sting like a m*th*f*** it won't do much.

Basically anything that will give significant results is either a drug (and this includes UV filters) or a procedure.

OK, hormone treatments of any kind are out.

Please bear in mind that
    A) I'm in the UK (with extremely limited access to dermatologists & US perscription drugs)
    B) my skin is very delicate (today anything other than Clinque's "exceptionally smoothing cream for upset skin" will "hurt like a m*th*rf*cker"), so don't want these corrective peels, etc.
    C) today I'm allergic, because, well, because it wants to be.....

I'm more interested in keeping the collagen in my skin and would be interested in help on how to do this.

The good news is that we all agree on sun & sun damage - and I've spent 20 yrs sunblocked & in the shade...
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information