Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Have you ever worn a wig?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    llama, i see orthodox jewish women in new york with wigs all the time. some look good, others look obviously fake. but i have a question: do orthodox women shave their own hair or do they just cover it up with wigs? i've always wondered.
    Only some Hasidic groups shave their heads. All of the women I know stick their hair in a ponytail and stuff it under the wig.
    sputnik likes this.

Thanks for answering, llama! I always wondered. of course this only makes me think of more questions to ask, like why do some groups shave and others don't? and also, when do orthodox women start wearing a wig? is it when they get married or when they hit puberty?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Orthodox women wear wigs when they get married. Some do it the day of the ceremony, most (like me) the next day. We do this because we believe that married women are supposed to cover their hair. Hat, scarf, wig, different groups have different customs, some won't wear wigs, some won't wear hats, some only cover it partly, but most cover their hair.

I have heard different reasons why Hasidic women shave their heads, (mainly they are emulating one particular pious woman), but then again I heard that's not the reason. I think it's based on custom. Their mothers do it, their grandmothers, their sisters, they all just do it and it's accepted (to them). I have Hasidic friends (I am not) and I've asked and never really got a good answer, mainly because they don't know (like I said, it's a custom at this point.) I'm sure the first woman who did it did it for a reason. It is not a requirement to be an Orthodox person.
    sputnik likes this.

thanks, llama! do you only wear the wig outside or do you wear it at home as well? doesn't it get hot in the summer? and do you ever miss your hair?

sorry so many questions, don't feel like you have to answer all of them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I usually take it off the second I go in the house. It is comfortable, but not as comfortable as my scarves. I don't miss my hair because I still have it, a lot of it, and it's still thick and curly, shoulder length. I am lucky, I've been married 12 years and it still looks good, and only a handful of grays. My husband and kids see my hair all the time, but I usually keep it covered at home as well. It's hot in the summer, but everybody's hot in the summer. I think I might be a tad bit cooler actually (since I wasn't always Orthodox so I can compare). The sun beating down on the bare scalp and bare arms is scorching. I don't think I am imagining it that my cotton long sleeved white shirt keeps me a bit cooler, maybe I am, but I don't suffer. I live in Pennsylvania, the summers get hot.

I don't mind answering the questions.
    sputnik likes this.

thanks, llama!
    llamamama likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information