Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had braces?

i got my first set of braces when i was 7 and then i had to get them again when i was 13... it was horrible... besides the braces i had a retainer, night brace( which i was so embarrassed to wear even to sleep), and of course those rubberbands that hurt like hell! I swear i couldn't keep them in my mouth more than two hours.

I forgot about the rubber bands. I HATED them, so ugly and they hurt too.

Had them, hated them.

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda View Post
    Remember all the stuff you wanted to eat when you got your braces off? Oh I wanted a candy apple and corn on the cob!
    i was so excited to no longer need to cut my corn off the cob before eating it. i was also happy to be able to eat apples & popcorn again once i got them off.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

^ ooo, I haven't had popcorn or corn on the cob yet. That's next on my grocery list.
    I did have pasta. Which I did hate at times, because I was forever sucking it out. I had peanuts too, although I wasn't supposed to, I went on a hunt to get those buggers out.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I have thin wire bar glued behind 4 front teeth, and one on the bottom teeth - it's a permanent retainer, and it guarantees teeth stay in place - unless it breaks. I preferred this option to removable retainers but i have those too. I pop them in at night every now and again but I feel safe enough with the permanent retainers. When it was glued, right after my braces were taken off, it felt weird at first and my tongue wanted to keep playing with it, but now i don't even notice it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    I have thin wire bar glued behind 4 front teeth, and one on the bottom teeth - it's a permanent retainer, and it guarantees teeth stay in place - unless it breaks. I preferred this option to removable retainers but i have those too. I pop them in at night every now and again but I feel safe enough with the permanent retainers. When it was glued, right after my braces were taken off, it felt weird at first and my tongue wanted to keep playing with it, but now i don't even notice it's there.
    I have that too on the lower. How long has yours been on for? On the top, I just have the regular wire retainer.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I also have the top and bottom wires on the back of my teeth. The only real pain is in flossing. I've had them on since I got my braces off about 8 years ago.

pinkbunny, mine have been on for a year. It's no hassle so far, but it drove my tongue crazy at first

I agree about the flossing MissKris, but I love having them. I feel 'safe' with those on. My orthodontist used to give people the option but now he puts them on everyone he said. My friend wore hers for 10 years and only recently got her dentist to remove them. She's also lost her removable retainers but thinks after 10 years she's safe... but I hear that if you have removable's you should wear them at least one night a week for life.

My son gets his braces put on 6/2.

$5,750.00

I'm going to end up living in my minivan.

^ that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    I had this on my bottom teeth. Worked great. It broke after 10 years or so and I never went back to my orthodontist who was on the other coast. I was well into my adult years and couldn't be bothered either. Teeth jumbled a teeny bit thereafter but most people would say that they are fairly straight.

I had an absolutely awful overbite, I shudder when I look at my 4th grad school picture is it terrible! I got braces before 5th grade and had them all the way though 8th grade. I also had head gear, though I only wore it at night so no one but family saw me in it. My sisters still tease me, 15 years later! I had to wear those awful rubber bands as well, I hated them!

I had removable retainer for both top and bottom. My top teeth never moved but my bottom teeth did - basically because i was lazy and didn't like the retainer!

I hope that someday my kids don't have to have braces, but if their teeth are bad I'm shelling out the $$ to fix them - they have my genes in there somewhere!

I had braces from 9th grade to the beginning of 11th grade- about two years.

I have a permanent bottom retainer and I stopped wearing my top one after it broke. One tooth on top has moved slightly. I'm wondering if I can get a new retainer to just move it back into place.

I just got my brace off in July. I'm 19, had a horrible gap before (though some people said it 'suited me' but it was far too noticeable.)

My retainer is a clear cap over my teeth (that actually make them look better!) so you can't see it. I'm only supposed to wear it at night now after 2 weeks permanent wear but I appreciate my straight teeth so much I wear it around the house too.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information