Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had braces?

well I had braces for two years from seventh to eighth grade. It was no big deal since all my friends had them as well. I had to wear head gear (luckily only at night) towards the end. I am so glad I did it b/c even today people comment on my teeth. It may suck for a short time but sooooo worth it.

I had braces for about 3 and a half years and i had all kinds of appliances before and during the braces phase. My teeth were very crowded because I have a small jaw. It was a pretty horrible few years esp. when I had to wear the appliance that breaks the palate (you turn it with a key - some orthos do it w a removable appliance but mine was cemented in - I can't even explain how many times the key was dropped half way down my throat.) Anyways, it was worth it, I've got a million dollar smile.

Edit: As well, I have permanent retainers on the front top and bottom teeth. My teeth are as perfect as when the braces came off.

I had braces for 3 years. I despised going to see the orthodontist because i could barely tolerate the alcoholic stench of his breath.

my orthodontist was nice enough but he wasnt exactly a good role model for dental hygiene - his own teeth we stained yellow and horribly crooked. He was very forgetful and his assistant had to keep reminding him what wire he used and whether or not he has tightened them up or not. So it was quite frightening but he was very experienced and knew what he was doing.

I just had my braces removed last year(never had them as a kid). I wear my retainer only at night now and can definitely tell if I miss a night of wearing them. Not only do I now have an excellent smile but my daily headaches left as soon as my teeth were straight.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Had braces as a teen, wore my retainer and a couple of teeth went back a little bit but only enough to give my smile 'character'. I kind of like that I have two teeth slightly out of line...when they were perfectly straight they didn't look human.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Eli

i had braces from 2000 to 2003- what was the big freakin' deal!! They didn't hurt once, and I had to have 4 teeth yanked out beforehand.
    Then I got a retainer and I had to wear it all the time and i shounded like dish, plus it made me gag so i stopped wearing it ALL the time. now one of my side teeth it poking out a bit, but you can't tell unless you get up real close.
    then i actually lost it for about 4 months earlier this year and my front teeth separated a little (3 years on! can you believe!) but once again it was so minimal you couldn't see unless you got up close with a magnifying glass. now i've found my plate and wear it most nights.
    not that big a deal!
    fun story eh?

I have a new type of braces. My brackets are smaller, and they don't get "tightened". I get a new arch wire put in. Each bracket has a hinge. So they open like little doors, the wire slides out, then new one is put it, then the hinges snap close. I do have pain for about a week, but hey since I can't eat normal, its also my diet plan. ha!!

Nope. I was also a thumb-sucker as a child but my teeth turned out fine. I have an overbite but it's nothing horrible, and 4 of my bottom teeth are a little crooked but it's barely visible. I've been told repeatedly that I have perfect teeth, naturally, and I like them that way. I don't like that whole "fake perfect" look.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have a perfect bite... according to 2 orthodontists "the most perfect they've ever seen" (wow, I deserve like a medal, a star or something). Never needed braces (thank God)... I couldn't afford them anyway.

Bronze Member

I had severe TMJ as an adult, so I had 4 teeth removed, and braces applied at age 28. My braces were removed when I ws 31, and my teeth were beautiful. I wore the retainers for several years after. However, I lost the retainers at some point (during a move), and gradually my teeth started to move back. I recently saw an orthodontist, who told me my front teeth were actually moving, and that to correct it, I would have to wear braces for another 22 months - well, I am now 44 and have 2 children who need braces - so I opted for new retainers to at least keep my teeth from moving further. Both orthodonists explained to me that adult teeth are much harder to move and keep in place vs a younger person.

I just got them off yesterday!!! YAY

"Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I had them from age 14-16. Wear the retainer. Years later, every time I felt my teeth pulling back to their squished-up state, I'd wear the retainer in my sleep for a week, and they'd be fine again.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    I just got them off yesterday!!! YAY

They look great, Pinkbunny!

Dixie- I need to do that this week to get them back to where they need to be.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    They look great, Pinkbunny!

Dixie- I need to do that this week to get them back to where they need to be.
    ^pop a tylenol (or other pain killer) 1/2 hr before bed, THEN put them in, trust me. Moving your teeth around is a wee bit painful the first few nights.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information