Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had braces?

I've sported the "tin grin" at 2 separate times in my life. The first time from age 11-14. But I did'nt wear my retainer, so my teeth kind of shifted over the years and I ended up having to get them again at age 33. Luckily, I only had to wear them for a year. I decided to go with a permanent retainer this time, since I've already proved that I can screw it up if left to do it on my own.

Pinkbunny, it causes bone loss for everyone but what degree you lose it is up to different things that happen. In my case, I didn't get the cleanings that I should have had while I had the braces on so it cause inflammation of the gums that causes bacteria to actually eat away at the bone that keeps your teeth in your skull. By the time they figured it out, I had lost so much bone that I had to have bone regrafting surgeries. So everyone with braces, clean, clean, clean! Mouthwash. Floss. Dental cleanings.

The new bone is regrowing well. I just wonder who is now in my body. I got human bone and you know there is only one way to get that! I guess that is why I am having the strange dreams that I have been having for the past 3 years since I got the new bone.
    Last edited by darksithbunny; September 8th, 2006 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

i had braces when i was like 12/13 i think i had them on for around 2 years...and i always said i would wear my retainer too when they were finally off...i only had to wear mine at night...i think maybe i wore it for the first year after..and then just stopped...my top teeth are still perfect...but my bottom went back to being a lil bit crooked..no biggie, im not worried about it...and really..no one can tell unless i point it out..ive actually tried to wear it a few times in the past year or so..and it doesnt fit so good anymore..so when i do put it in..my teeth hurt like hell the next day..and if i do wear it for a couple days...i definitely notice a difference in my teeth

goodluck!!

o and clean them well!!!! the bracket around my back tooth caused me to get a huge hole in my tooth..i guess food got wedged down between my tooth and the bracket around it and obviously you cant get down into the bracket..so it ate my tooth away..and now half of my tooth is a filling!!

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    I had an open bite. and a tongue thrust. !
    I bet that comes in useful
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I had braces between the ages of 12 and 15, and it wasn't the most pleasant experience. I had the smallest jaw my dentist had ever operated on, so had lots of teeth removed, under both local and general anisthetic. My first extraction was in the dentist's chair and I screamed and cried so much, the nurses had to comfort those sitting outside in the waiting room.

The end result has been gone but I definately wouldn't want to go through the whole brace thing again.

You could maybe ask for what I have to keep your teeth straight after the braces are removed and the retainer has been worn, and that is a hidden metal bar which is glued permanently to the back of your lower teeth. I assume it can also be glued to your upper teeth. It is glued at either end to a tooth and helps to maintain their new improved position. I've felt next to no shifts in the last six years so it definately works.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

no i wish i did though; i didnt want to get them b/c i was already ugly enough as it was which was stoopid of me cause i woulda been the first to get them on and first off...how silly i'll get some someday...

I agree with the above, get a permanent retainer, especially if it's your front teeth (upper or lower) were significantly out of line. The permanent retainer will keep them from shifting. Also, are your wisdom teeth out? If they grow in they can mess up your smile again.

I had to wear a weird pink plastic thing in front of my lower front teeth to push them into a straight line. A couple of times a teacher would think it was gum and at least once I had to do 20 push-ups in class for "chewing gum." I also had a bar across the roof of my mouth to widen my teeth--it would always catch food. But the end result is so worth it, it's amazing! Good luck!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Im 33 and Im sporting a "tin grin" as mom calls it . I have had them on for two years, and have about a year to go. I will also wear my retainer as long as my ortho tells me.
    Hey, I'm 33 and have braces right now too! Ain't it fun? I've had mine on for about a year and a half and I get them off before the end of the year, YAY! I have clear ceramic ones so they're not TOO noticeable. Most people think I'm wearing a retainer. The worst part is wearing the elastics. Talk about embarrasing. Unfortunately, I've suffered some gum recession due to the way my teeth were positioned so I'll have to visit a periodontist when I'm done. I cannot wait to get these things off. And yeah, I will wear a fixed retainer forever.

shame on you A*O for making that comment (...smacking your hand)

I don't have my wisdom teeth removed. I have noticed some pain, and when I put my finger back there, I feel pointy bits poking though...here they come.!

I clean my teeth very well. Some people may call it obsession brace cleaning becasue of how I take care of them. I have a tiny brush that cleans around each bracket. I have a threader, to thread dental floss.

Here is a picture of me about 2 weeks after getting them on. You can't really tell I have them on, or that I needed them. I hid my gapped smile well...

especially the way I tilted my head. I practiced that for years so my gap or open bite wouldn't show.

Such a cute picture, you're really pretty!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ damn that is a cute pic! where ever did u find that sucker?!

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    ^ damn that is a cute pic! where ever did u find that sucker?!

Thanks!
    I made it. The lollipop was a prop made out of styrofoam. I painted, then sprayed adhesive on it, sprinkled glitter on it and let it dry. Then I added the plastic wrap. I'm a crafty person.

Quote Originally Posted by fahQ View Post
    I've sported the "tin grin" at 2 separate times in my life. The first time from age 11-14. But I did'nt wear my retainer, so my teeth kind of shifted over the years and I ended up having to get them again at age 33. Luckily, I only had to wear them for a year. I decided to go with a permanent retainer this time, since I've already proved that I can screw it up if left to do it on my own.
    fahQ!! Good to see you again! Where've you been?
    2 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Butterfly, thanks for the heads-up! I really want to get in and talk to someone, but I don't know who to call. There are so many orthos around here I wouldn't begin to know who is good or who to trust. My orthodontist is retired.

I need to start talking to people about who they go to and their experiences.

No problem ! You also should pull out the good old yellow pages and call some orthos and see if any have a free consultation.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Yes, I had braces put on when I was 26, and got them off this last March. I had them on for 18 months total. So far, yes, I wear my retainer only at night now, and I have a permanent retainer on the bottom. I don't notice any movement on the bottom, but my top retainer feels tight if I don't wear it even for one night!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information