Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Has anyone tried Clarisonic Mia Facial Brush or cheaper alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I use the deep pore brush and the highest speed. My skin loves it too.

And I'd totally be wary of a derm who advised me to stop using water, like in that blog post above. But that's just me and my skin.
    I would guess it's because of the minerals in water that can be drying, I had this advice given to me by a derm once too. I did not follow it, I was a teenager and my issue passed on it's own with a good cleansing routine and a better lotion. Water makes me feel clean, I was not going to give it up. It would have been nice if she had elaborated about the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Before I asked for the Clarisonic I debated with myself a little because of the price, but I think it was worth it for the difference it has made in my skin. I have a friend that just turned 40 and she never washes her face. She wears a shitton of make-up and goes to bed with it on and then bakes herself in the tanning bed regularly. Whatever comes off in the shower while she's washing her hair is what passes for washing her face. I'm wondering if her bad habits will ever catch up to her or if this facial skin stuff is just genetic lottery.
    I was a bit like your friend. I never, ever bought a facial cleanser until I was in my late 30's. I just used soap in the shower and removed my mascara with baby oil. If I got a bit dry in the winter, I would pick up a cheap moisturizer from the drugstore. Now that I'm in my early 40's, I'm starting to take an interest in my skin, mostly because it went to shit after I had the baby. It's super dry now and doesn't want to absorb anything.

So far, I'm loving the Clairsonic. I already notice that my skin is absorbing the moisturizer a lot better.

If I don't use the Clairsonic, I use the Shu Uemura Special Cleansing Oil. Makes a huge difference.

I decided to keep my Clarisonic and tried it for the first time today. How fast is the skin purging supposed to start because I've got red splotches on my chin already. Is that normal? I figured it would happen, but I didn't think it would be almost instantaneous. If that's what's supposed to happen, it's kind of cool because at least I know it's doing something...lol

Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if you use facial cleanser instead of soap, why you prefer it to soap? The only difference I can see between most cleansers and soap is there's a bigger water content which makes it less harsh I guess? I looked at the ingredients lists of some of them, and most still had many of the same ingredients of mass produced soap, like sodium laureth sulfate and things like that. Anytime I ever used cleansers, my face either broke out like I wasn't washing it at all, or gave me a horrible rash, so I usually don't even pay attention to them.
    choozen1ne likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I can't use regular soap on my face because it's so stripping. My face is oily, so I use an oil free cleanser, but I don't want everything stripped off so that it feels like all the moisture has been sucked out of it.

But use whatever works for you. If regular soap is all you can handle, then go with it.
    Waterslide likes this.
    What are you looking at, sugar-tits? - Mel Gibson

Thanks Laurent, I was just curious. I figured it was because soap is too harsh and drying. I think whatever the problem is for me is that maybe the cleanser isn't strong enough for my skin.

I do use bar soap, but honestly I can't use 99% of those either, because even my back and shoulders will start breaking out. It's so annoying. So no Dove, Irish Spring, Zest, etc. One of the ones that doesn't bother my skin is L'Occitane...and at $7-10 a bar, of course it wouldn't bother my skin...
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

You know, I've known women who only use Ivory bar soap and moisturize with Vaseline and they look fabulous, so I think you just have to go with what works. My skin is so finicky, but if I could get away with using Ponds and a tissue, I probably would.
    Waterslide likes this.

Yeah, me too about the Ponds and a tissue.

Like you said, everyone has to go with what works, it's just amazing how little works for some people. I've heard of people just using water and a washcloth. My face would rebel against that fast. lol
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    I'm at the same point as you, Manx. What kind of face wash are you using?
    Late response---I'm using Boscia's detoxifying black cleanser. I really like it. It's not drying and seems to work well on my combo skin. And I guess I'm past the purging stage of the clarisonic, yay.

I'm intrigued though with the doc saying the clarisonic is ultimately bad for your skin. I had a dermatologist also tell me before that exfoliating isn't a good idea. I swear though, if I didn't do anything, my face would be 3 feet thick by now!
    Lalique likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Has anyone tried the Clarisonic Opal? I just saw an ad for it over the weekend and apparently it's supposed to use sonic waves to help better deposit anti-aging potions and make better use of them.

I didn't have any purging that I could tell. Does that mean iz doing it wrong?
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

No I didn't have a lot of purging either

no, you're probably fine. it doesn't happen to everyone.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Been using mine for about 2 months now and still loving it. Skin purging definitely done and for the past month or so my skin has been pretty much flawless. even when I'm PMSing it mostly behaves.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bronze Member

I have the Clarisonic Mia (with just the regular brush) and honestly I didn't see any difference compared with using my microfiber cloths that I bought on ebay - I switched back to the microfiber cloths actually and gave my Clarisonic to my mom.

I have dry skin and my skin really likes physical exfoliation - mainly because I have fine almost invisible hair on my face that for some reason tends to get ingrown on my chin.

I have been using my clarisonic Mia for about 6 months now. I didn't really see a difference in my skin. I didn't really get the skin purging either; however, my friend did when she started using her clarisonic. i guess it's different for each person. I just use it with my cetaphil because it's a gentle cleanser. For some people clarisonic does wonders and for others there's really not much difference. It really depends on the person and their skin, I think.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information