Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hairdressing - a career?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    OK, as always I'll be the dissenting opinion. Yes some hairdressers make a bundle. Plenty more don't. You have to work standing up all the time. You get carpal tunnel from doing the same repetitive movements all the time. Most hairdressers don't get good health benefits, sick time, vacation days etc. None of which matter when you're young but believe me as you age they sure will. My hairdresser has breast cancer now, had to go to county hospital for her surgery and treatment, doesn't get paid when she's not working - so she's forced to go in after chemo and radiation. It's not always a fabulous idea.

My mom's a hairdresser and owns her business. It's true about standing on their feet all day except this is a very old school method, new school stylists (esp posh ones) sit on stools to style your hair or some use these soft rubber rugs on the floor just for that so that they won't be hurting as bad at the end of the day. This will prolly depend on how/who you get trained by and who you end up working for.

My mom was very successful during her height (30's ~ 40's) and I think her family life suffered as a result. Just something to think about. Cuz like others pointed out, you'd prolly have to work weekends (usually you get way busier on weekends understandably). I grew up missing out on family outings on weekends unlike all my other friends. Even on her day off, if a customer called she wouldn't refuse to work.

There are also occupational hazards cuz you do deal with chemicals i.e. hair dyes, perm solutions (despite using gloves). Hair dressers are prone to certain ailments, I think I read studies that reported the chemicals affect your livers and certain other organs. Yeppers on carpol tunnel and things like wrist cysts and arthritis, too.

My mom had uterian cancer 5 years ago and she only took 2 weeks off for her operation and hospital stay! Business was back to normal after that. It is tough if you operate your own salon cuz just like Palermo said, you don't get paid if you don't work.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I would have trained as one or seriously considered it, but I am not a very chatty person, and shy.

See how you feel when the colleges reply with info, and see what you think.

I knew a woman who gave up hairdressing because she was sick of having to chat all the time. She'd end up saying to some women 'You want me to talk, or do you want your hair to look good? Because I can't do both.

Lol yeah that's kind of my problem, but most people i talk to say they'd rather their stylist was quiet and did a good job, if it puts people off then whatever but I'd rather be professional than chatty. Thanks so much for all the help guys, my application form arrived and I'm going to fill it in and hope for an interview I'm really excited hehe. I'm really hoping that by the time I'm in my thirties/forties I'll own my own place and be making a comfortable income .
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

When you get used to dealing with all sorts of clients, you'll quickly figure out which ones would rather enjoy peace and quite and which ones like to chat and gossip

Another thing to consider, after you finish your hairdressing school, you could do some kinda apprenticeship. My mom went and worked in Tokyo for quite a few years(cuz it is one of the fashion capitals), saved up enough money and came back to her hometown to open up her own shop.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Right, I forgot to say that about the chemicals. Sue is convinced all the hairdyes and various chemicals brought on her breast cancer. Who knows, but it probably doesn't help the body to inhale all that crap and have it come through your skin etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    Right, I forgot to say that about the chemicals. Sue is convinced all the hairdyes and various chemicals brought on her breast cancer. Who knows, but it probably doesn't help the body to inhale all that crap and have it come through your skin etc.
    Yea same with my mom and her cancer, that shit stays in your system. And people my mom knows from the hairdresser union all say they have other medical issues (like I mentioned in my previous posts) with livers, kidneys etc.

One of my best friends is a colorist and she makes 60,000+ per year. That's with tips and everything included. She works at a pretty pish posh salon...when she started out she moved around from place to place until she found her current salon...even then she only got hired at $8 an hour and now, 6 years later....she's making the big bucks. She just had to prove how talented she was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information