Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Haircuts That Take Off 10 Years

I suppose expense was a factor. At my beauty school I think it was $5.50 for the shampoo set. I can't remember how much a perm plus a set was. Had to have been like $12. I've no idea how much it was in a real salon. I made sure to never work in a salon that catered to the shampoo set crowd.
    I loved most of my old ladies in school. I had one awesome old gal named Olga. She would let me do whatever I wanted. Then let me know the next week how it went over with her pals. I suppose most of them are no longer with us by now.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I always wondered at what point you give up and go with the old lady hair. It's got to be a generational thing because my mom and her friends in their mid 60s haven't done it but the ladies just a few years older have done it for years.
    My MIL gave up in her late 30s. Not sure what happened but she went from young and fresh to "old lady" in a minute. It was the thing to do in the late 80s in a small Midwestern town I guess.

A*O

My mother (82) has always been very vain/obsessed about her hair and she would rather go bald than go down the Old Lady route. It's getting a bit thin these days - it was always very fine - but she has it properly coloured and pixie cut and she looks decades younger than her actual age. I've inherited the crap hair gene from her so I know what to expect. My sister on the other hand has the thickest, glossiest hair I've ever seen. Bitch.
    Novice likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

My mom's hair right now is longer than I've ever seen it. She had the super long hippie hair when I was born, but I guess that lasted about 30 seconds with a little kid pulling on it. It's well past shoulder length and I can't say I love it, but she pulls it up in a bun a lot and that actually looks pretty cool. Very "retired teacher", which is what she is.

Both my grandmothers had that 'old ladies' hairstyle for as long as I can remember. I believe all my maternal grandmother's sisters had it too.

If you are a 40+ woman with the same hair as a 25 year old but you have more wrinkles than a shar-pei.. You may need a haircut!! At least 10in!
    A*O likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Surely the requirements have changed by now. We even had to do finger waves. Those went out in the 1920's!
    I know in NJ they still have to do finger waves on the licencing exam. About 2 years ago my stylist's daughter was taking the test and my stylist couldn't believe that they were still required.
    sprynkles and holly like this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

Most are improvements, but this style is terrible. Frump city. She had good hair, they could have done something much better.
    I totally agree, poor Morgan looks 45 now!
    Clubber Lang likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'll hold my hands up and admit that my hair is past my waist and touching my arse. I've never had it more than trimmed straight. Yes, the Bloke loves my long hair but he's not the reason why I keep it so long; that's all down to me. I'm not trying to hold on to my teens or twenties (which quite frankly sucked), I'm just being me. Every so often I do toy with the idea of getting it cut but that's as far as I get, mostly because I realise that I'm wondering if I should be more 'conventional'. I can't be someone I'm not to fit some generalised societal ideal, whether that's with my hair, my clothes or my make up.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I wish I understood hair. Makeup I always know, and clothes I often know, but hair always escapes me. I love the feeling I have with long hair (and mine is naturally curly, like AnnaLynne McCord's, plus when I straighten it, it still reverts to a nice wave), but with a long face, I look better with shorter hair. The only time I cut it short and loved it was when I had it done like Cybill's in Last Picture Show (while I'm young enough to pull off something cutesy), but even then I missed my long hair a bit. At least I'll never just perm it into those unwashable domes, I never knew ladies didn't wash those.
    sprynkles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Women desperately cling to the misguided idea that long hair = youth. After a certain age the opposite applies. My hairdresser has a few clients who've had the same hair for years and won't let him take even half an inch off without a major drama. He also reckons that a lot of women are simply too timid to consider an updated hairstyle and prefer to stick with boring and predictable. Mind you, he's a fab cutter and I trust his opinion and skill 100%. I recently had a fairly major overhaul because I was bored with my old style and it wasn't in great condition so I let him loose and he's done a great job. It's a slightly longer Judi Dench messy crop. No pouting selfies, sorry.
    I'm finally, FINALLY at 33, thrilled with my hair nearly every day. I've done short choppy punky cuts in the past, but always get too cheap/lazy to go back to the salon and would let it grow out - and promptly be unhappy with it. I have asstons of thick, coarse hair and never really knew how to style it when it was long (and even blow-drying took like an hour - ain't nobody got time for that), so I had no business having long hair. I would feel rebellious at times and promptly cut it all off whenever MIL would say something like, "Look how long your hair's getting, now you're a REAL member of our family!" (bitch please) but then would always revert. I wanted it to get long and stay that way basically until I figured out what to do with it - pointless! I was constantly just throwing it in a ponytail.

So it was finally down to my ass and I said, "fuck it" and found a new salon in town, and did this, complete with the blond:

and learned how to get those loose blunt-ended waves with a skinny flat iron and fucking love it. AND I let her schedule me for my next appointment as soon as I'm done with the current one. I've never been apprehensive about cutting my hair and it causes me zero pain to see it all fall to the floor (I would happily do a pixie if I had the face for it), but was either complacent or too caught up in trying to reach some "goal". I've never been happier with my hair, I like looking like the 16-year-old trapped in a 33-year-old's body that I really am, and I like looking like myself instead of an extension of my husband's family with their weird hair issues.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^^ How fab! So many things you can do with the layered cut. So glad you love it.

For years I've been collecting pictures of silvery blonde highlights over dark hair. I would love to do that Bronde look one day but the maintenance would kill me. My eyebrows are black and one day when I feel it's the right time - even if I don't keep it - I'm going to do Mrs. Robinson silver blonde streaks and give myself a wild look. I have these pictures of Daphne Guinness and wonder, could I?

I'm all about the good cut. My hair is always a variation on a theme. Shoulder length with layers cut into the bottom. What works best for me is a soft and tousled look. I switch my part from side to side too.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

^^^ LOVE that! As soon as my top layers get another inch or two longer, I bet mine could do that.

Tati,i totally adore haircut and color,i bet you look fabulous in your new look.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I don't think just because you're over 40 or whatever the age is, you should not have long hair. For years since hitting a certain age I wore shoulder length hair. I liked it alright. But I noticed that practically every woman I knew was doing the same thing. Screw it. I let mine go. It's down by my bra strap now. It makes it easier to put up in a bun or french roll. I can put it in a ponytail without little whispies flying in my face while driving with the windows down. I love it. I have had short hair styles before and never liked them. I don't have a face suited for it.
    Same here. Don't have the face for it at all. My hair is quite long and I love it like that. I look like some bored aging soccer mom with short hair.
    sprynkles and Kittylady like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information