Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hair smoothing serums?

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    wow that is work. you don't like it natural? looks fine on the model in the pic you posted.
    The model has a pretty version of my hair. Think of a child's hair when they wake up. Mine has all these straight pieces in the front and wavy in the back. It's not pretty, even my poor hair stylist said so. He always forgets how tangled my hair gets too. It's just a mess. No one believes me when they see it done.

czb

so now you need to get used to humidity as well. i'm assuming that makes your hair harder to style? plus you need to pick a new stylist. i remember when i first moved to the bay area. the thing i missed most was my former hairdresser.

Czb- a devacut is the cut from the people behind devacurl. Some people swear by them, but I think they probably work better on hair that's curlier than mine.

Kris-im with you on the blow dryer. I have an old elchim, and its still kicking after 10 years too.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

so now you need to get used to humidity as well. i'm assuming that makes your hair harder to style? plus you need to pick a new stylist. i remember when i first moved to the bay area. the thing i missed most was my former hairdresser.
    It's funny because a little bit of humidity can help if I don't want to wear it straight, but yes, it does make it more challenging to style and keep smooth and straight. Picking a new stylist is harder than picking a new gyn! The guy I went to was great and he knew my hair. I went to a salon in Newport and the salons here are way more expensive. I was pretty shocked. I guess I could keep going to my guy every time we visit SoCal.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Czb- a devacut is the cut from the people behind devacurl. Some people swear by them, but I think they probably work better on hair that's curlier than mine.

Kris-im with you on the blow dryer. I have an old elchim, and its still kicking after 10 years too.
    I love the elchim. They are great. My hair stylist lent me one of his when my Solano was getting repaired.

That's the thing I like about the Solano. I dropped it and cracked the little plastic thing on the lint screen. I sent it to Solano with a $30 check and they did a tune up, cleaned it, and replaced the lint screen.

czb

wcg - i looked up the deva cut and it seems that only a few salons in SF even do them. and i'm not familiar with any of the salons so i will stay put.

kris - seattle is more expensive than newport? that's crazy!

The two places I've looked at are quite a bit more. I always get a cut and partial highlights and typically spent about $210, including tip. He would always throw in a few highlights underneath so it would look good when I put it up. Here, the decent places are charging about $230-245 for partial and cut. Not including tip. So, I guess not really that much more, but I was surprised that it was more in general. The higher end salons are around $300.

czb

*faints*

that sounds like a LOT. wow. i'm sure it's not as high as NY but still. i pay 175 (including tip) for semi-perm color + cut. i don't go to a shi shi place like di pietro todd but a moderate place. if i went there, it would probably be 250+.

is your hair as long as that pic you posted?

*faints*

that sounds like a LOT. wow. i'm sure it's not as high as NY but still. i pay 175 (including tip) for semi-perm color + cut. i don't go to a shi shi place like di pietro todd but a moderate place. if i went there, it would probably be 250+.

is your hair as long as that pic you posted?
    yeah, my hair is that long. I should chop it off but I find the length actually helps with the straightening process.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    The model has a pretty version of my hair. Think of a child's hair when they wake up. Mine has all these straight pieces in the front and wavy in the back. It's not pretty, even my poor hair stylist said so. He always forgets how tangled my hair gets too. It's just a mess. No one believes me when they see it done.
    Your hair sounds like mine. It's super curly in parts, wavy in others, & straight in other parts, so wearing in "natural" isn't really an option, so I either curl it (rare) or flatiron it.
    Years ago I had lovely curls, then something happened in my 30's that made my hair go bonkers & have 3 different textures growing out of it. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusMoon View Post
    I googled the best ones but I decided to ask you guys here instead before I decide on one.

My hair is kind of fine. It's naturally curly/wavy but I flat iron it a lot and would love to find something that won't weigh it down or make it sticky and goopy. It frizzes easily too.

Any recommendations?
    My hair is fine & has various textures going on all over it. (see above post)

I wash with Aquage Sea Extend Strengthening Shampoo (it's sulfate free)
    Condition with Joico K-Pak Moisture Intense Hydrator
    The after towel drying & combing with a wide tooth comb, I either use a small amount of "It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Lite" OR I'll use "Biolage Exquisite Oil" (like a pea size for my length & thickness)
    Then I put in "Sebastian Thickefy Foam"
    Blow dry
    Then spray "Aquage Beyond Shine" heat protectant spray before flat ironing
    Then after I'm finished flat iroing, I spray a shot of "Sebastian Trilliant" on it for loads of shine that doesn't weigh it down.

I used to use Biosilk's Silk Therapy Oil before I started flipping back & forth between the It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Lite & the Biolage Exquisite Oil, but it was so heavy on my hair, that literally, more than half a pea size would weigh it down.
    AquariusMoon likes this.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm going to see what combo I can come up with that works best for me. Right now my hair is about halfway down my back. It's pretty long. I usually don't go any shorter than shoulder length though if I get the urge for a dramatic change and whack it all off. I like the length though, especially when I flat iron. I just don't like the frizzies!! I know it's this damn humidity in the South but I'm willing to try several products if I have to. You all have given some really great recommendations though so now I'm off to buy some products!

Let us know what you end up buying & what works / doesn't work!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information