Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hair smoothing serums?

czb

well, i'm sure howard has a personal curl twirler.

i heard he uses ouidad. not sure if that is true, though.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    wcg - i did not know what you meant by 3b so i looked it up. i think i have similar hair (kind of like howard stern's). so does the kerastase control the frizz and help with curls? i currently use l'anza kb2 (don't laugh, i know the product has been out there for a zillion years....)
    I haven't used that term in ages, but sort of like Howard. Kind of like SJP. Fat curls, not too frizzy, blows out straight pretty easily.

This kerastase is just for blow outs/ironing. It's like half leave in, half heat protection. It would be terrible for wearing it curly.

For curls I use John Sahag Zero Weight Sculpting Lotion. It's incredible. Its a thin gel, almost like water. I'm using it for about 20 years. If it ain't broke...

I've heard Howard uses ouidad too which is probably right, he always has that sort of ouidad haircut and wet look that their products give. I used to get my haircuts there in the early 90s.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; July 16th, 2015 at 04:59 PM.
    AquariusMoon likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

czb

ah. thanks for the info. i rarely blow out my hair - i am too lazy and it takes a LOT of work. i have fat-ish curls, too. if i use no product, i do get frizzy pieces but mostly ringlets. i will look for that sahag product, sounds interesting. but the kb2 stuff seems to work ok. like you, i've been using it for 20+ years. ...

You've got to stick with what works. Especially with curls. What works on one doesn't on another. Everyone's curls like something different. It's weird, but no one I know with curls uses the same stuff

I'll give the kb a shot. Never hurts to find a back up.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

czb

yeah, i agree with you about using the same product over time. i've tried tons of other things, but none have worked as well as the kb. but i went to a diff hairdresser a few months ago since my regular stylist was sick, and the newbie kinda mocked what i was using. she suggested some other products by unite, they were pretty expensive and had no samples. so i never tried them. but given that when i came home, mr czb said my hair color looked like edward scissorhands, not sure i should listen to what she says.

sorry to highjack the OP's thread, but i almost never meet someone with natural curls similar to mine. do you have breakage? split ends?

I don't really get much breakage or lots of splits. My hair is pretty strong. It's colored, natch, for greys now. Medium texture, but loads of hair and its pretty long for a broad my age I get a trim about every 3 months.

I don't wash it everyday, but in the summer I often will. It's hot here, as you know, and I'm at the beach a lot on the weekends, so no choice. I wear it curly more in this kind of weather.

czb

you are lucky. i have breakage and split ends. more so now than prior to kids so not sure if it is due to age or something else. anyhoo, my hair never grew more than a few inches past my shoulders, even when i was in high school. now it is just shoulder length. but still have lots of hair. i color my hair to cover the grey, but given i only have a tiny bit, so maybe i should stop. but it's an inch patch right in front and i don't want to look like bonnie raitt (or a skunk).

^^ do you cut wet or dry?

czb

my regular stylist cuts it while dry. just to tidy up splits. why?

Just curious. I get cut dry too, but straight and dry because I wear it both ways. I had gotten some devacuts a few years ago, cut dry but curly. They didn't really work for me.

czb

well, i don't wash my hair for a few days before going to the hairdresser, so it is not so curly by then. it is not straight like it would be if it were flat-ironed, but not ringlets, either. wetting my hair and washing it or just putting in product gives me back my ringlets.

i live in the land of the straight-haired wasps and straight-haired asians, so not all people know how to deal with curlies. my hairdresser gets it, though.

I have half wavy, half straight, sort of frizzy hair. I can't wash and go at all. My hair requires lots of work, but it looks good once I'm done with it. My natural hair is similar to this.

I'm more blonde, more ashy, and a bit straighter through the roots, but the general appearance is the same. Just a bit worse.
    AquariusMoon likes this.

czb

so you blow dry or flat iron? lots of products?

after i wash my hair, i put in leave-in, shake it out and go.

wcg - what is a devacut? i use deva curl shampoo and conditioner, but not sure if that is the same?

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    so you blow dry or flat iron? lots of products?

after i wash my hair, i put in leave-in, shake it out and go.

wcg - what is a devacut? i use deva curl shampoo and conditioner, but not sure if that is the same?
    I blow dry with a professional blow dryer and a large round brush. I find the blow dryer to be key here. I use an old school Super Solano. $150 and it's lasted for over a decade. Not one of those tourmaline dryers. I find those dry fast but there isn't enough heat to straighten and smooth. I follow with a really quick run through with a flat iron. I wash and condition with a good shampoo and conditioner, I use a leave in detangler (Rene Furterer), a little root boost (KMS Add Volume), and a bit of whatever serum I'm using at the time.

So, this is why I wash every third day. Day one and two are a nice blow out, day three ponytail or bun

czb

wow that is work. you don't like it natural? looks fine on the model in the pic you posted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information