Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair coloring: from brown to blonde. What are your stories, tips or general thoughts?

you do have a nice natural color. go for highlites and get them to foil it, don't use the cap! I usually pay $65-$100 depending on how much I get done and if I get them to do two-tones of lites.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah its a shit load to color your hair blonde the right way. and u hardly ever want to lighten your eyebrows b/c they are the frame of your face and ppl just look wierd when they mess with their eyebrow color so show us pics when u do it ok!!!

$300 sounds right... be prepared to have to cut some off too. it's most likely going to be pretty dry/damaged after.

get a reeeeeally good conditioner and a weekly treatment.

I just wanted to say, and i hate to be a downer, but if you're bleaching, prepare for possible hair loss. It definetly kills it.

Silver Member

You don't need to bleach overall to get to blonde from medium dark brown.

You can use a level 7 or level 6 green based dark blonde (clairol moonhaze or moongold at Sally's) with 40 volume peroxide by yourself at home.

Then get highlights on top of that.

You will get a blonde look without the tremendous damage.

You can redo your roots yourself every 6 weeks, redo the highlights professionally every 12 weeks.

Shell out the big bucks and let a professional do it. I have naturally blonde hair, and got it into my head to do my own slightly-blonder job on it two weeks ago. Oh. My. It went orange on me. I've been shampooing with a purple, brass-reducing shampoo that has taken out the orange, but now I smell like a blue-haired old lady. Cheeto-colored hair is not attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    I just wanted to say, and i hate to be a downer, but if you're bleaching, prepare for possible hair loss. It definetly kills it.
    um yeah, unfort. thats a given. thats part of the reason i stopped. thats why you always see fake blondes w/ lacking amounts of hair and/or they have to keep a shorter hairstyle.

but let us know what happens already i wanna see!!! i mean if you're young, u should definetly try it at least!

Hi all! Sorry for being so tardy in my reply. I have lent my camera out to my girlfriend and haven't got it back yet so I have no pictures.

Unfortunately I was not impressed. It started off well, she cut my hair beautifully and got rid of all my fly aways and split ends. We decided we'd do a whole head of foils and then I'd come back in a couple weeks for her to do more to lighten it all up. I picked my color which was a gorgeous light brown/medium blond and she did my whole head in foils. I knew something was up when she checked the hair in the foils and scrunched her nose up after the timer went off and said '15 more minutes'.

Well, long story and a lot of tears short, the color didn't really take to my hair and it only took to my roots and very lightly on the rest, which means I look like a brunette with patchy blond regrowth.

I told her it wasn't what I expected, but acknowledged that it had lightened my hair slightly, I was trying not to breakdown crying in the salon so wasn't as forward as I should have been. She also acknowledged it didn't take well, but I was still slugged with the whole $100 + bill.

I had believed we were using bleach, but she then told me next time she would use bleach instead of a tint? WTF.

I really want this fixed and funnily enough, I do have a degree of confidence in this woman. She did my sister's hair blond and it looks fantastic. Do you have any suggestions on what I should say when I book my next appointment: 'Hi, it's XXXXXX, I'm not happy with the way the color took to my hair and was wondering whether I could rebook this week instead of next week?'

Or should I just book a new appointment and they should get the point I didn't like the result?
    ssabmud

^
    CS, definitely call the stylist and explain your problems. Tell her you're not happy, be straight up! If she's a good stylist, she will work with you until you are satisfied. True stylists are artists at heart and a good one will NOT be happy unless you're happy. If your stylist gives you any guff, I would suggest going elsewhere. It already bugs me that she took your money without you being happy! She SHOULD fix you for free.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

awwwww babe, thats not what i expected to hear either!!!!! im so sorry at least u know she was being cautious with you; it could have been the opposite where she bleached your hair and you lost a bunch! but i understand whole-heartedly your disapointment, im glad u like your hair cut though and maybe u should try a different colorist? I dont know, but one thing i do know for sure from experience and knowing ppl in the salon business, YOU SHOULD GET YOUR HAIR FIXED FOR "FREE" B/C U PAID FOR A ITEM THAT YOU DIDN'T RECIEVE IN THE TRANSACTION, just like cherry said. and thanks for the update though!!!!

I am sorry to hear your bad experience! I think it's hard to find a good colorist. Mine moved and now I have to drive 45 min to her, but I'm afraid to let anyone else do my highlites!

I had a horrible experience too. My hair is dark like yours and was a bit longer. I went in told her I wanted a lighter brown with lighter highlights. My hair ended up the colour of piss. When I got home my bf was traumatized. On top of that she fried my hair so bad that I had to wait 3 months before I had another guy dye it back to brown with blond highlights which looked great.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

that sucks/
    call back right away, tell her that you want a redo b/c it didn't turn out and you aren't happy. this should be free... to be prefectly honest, she should have offered to redo it for free anyway.

the fact that she didn't use bleach straight away tells ms that she isn't that comfortable with colour corrections, which is what this is. Unfortunately, you paid for it, so in order to get it done properly without forking over more money, you are going to have to stick with her. I would ask that maybe she consult the owner or another colourist for another opinion.

good luck. don't wait until your next appt to get it fixed or she may just charge you.

Thank you all for your kind words! Mariesoleil, you have my commiserations! Is your hair OK now?

I couldn't call her the last several days because it was the weekend and she wasn't working today (Monday), but I will call her tomorrow and be very firm with what I want. I think I'm going to ask she bleaches the lot, and then if it goes a yellowy orange, she either color corrects it with a dye, or we bleach again and then when it gets to the right color we do highlights. It may seem like a lot, but I don't want to go through the BS of paying $100 + each time I go there in order to gradually lighten up via highlights when the last time was a waste of money and the base can be lightened.

My hair is surprisingly tough and I've been taking extra care of it this weekend to show her that my hair could resist bleaching!

Ahhh!!! I will update again soon with the pictures of the disaster, and then hopefully of the results
    ssabmud

never be afraid to ask for you money dear. its yours and yours alone and u worked hard for that shit!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information