Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hair advice / suggestions

Bronze Member

Yeah it is really good and it doesn't take long at all to do it since you don't have to go through your whole hair with it (your hair will be ridiculously huge otherwise.) They send a dvd with the package that shows you how to do it properly.

^^ I searched the Internet for it and didn't find any easy way to purchase it from the United States.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by coolios5o View Post
    I have very fine hair as well. I do have alot of it but it is very, very fine so it's limp as well. I know one product that really works, but I don't know if they sell it in the states. It's called Volumaster by Björn Axen.

It really does wonders for your hair and lasts a long time. But my hair gets greasy looking after a day or two so, after shower you'll have to redo it.

One thing that also work a little bit is when I but some kind of volume mousse on my hair after shower and then dry it head upside down.

Ohh, ohh, I want it too! If you find someone who sales to the States, please share. I'll see what I can find as well.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    I'm hoping to get some ideas for my hair. I am so sick of it. My hair is very fine and it is just past my shoulders. It is very limp and lacks volume. So I get a really light perm to give it volume. I am sick of this and ready for a change. I have a heart shaped face. I was thinking I need layers to give me volume. Does anyone have any hair suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!
    Same hair/face type.

I have fine hair, but lots of it. My stylist says I have more hair per square inch than she's seen on anyone. But, that doesn't make it full. The trick is the right kind of layering with face shape. My stylist added blended layers to give it more volume. I use a little bit of gel at the roots to help lift it while blow drying. I part my hair on the left hand side of my scalp, but when drying naturally, I part it on the opposite side to give it more volume. Then, when my hair is damp, I blow dry it back to the left side. Man, does that work!

The key is, find a stylist who you can work with. It makes all the difference in the world. Oh, and product is HUGE! Since switching to Redken products four years ago, my hair is in great shape.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey Normal View Post
    Ohh, ohh, I want it too! If you find someone who sales to the States, please share. I'll see what I can find as well.
    I don't think you can find it from the states but from here you can order it to states:

OBH Nordica Björn Axén Volumaster - eleven.se

You might get the same results with a normal hair crimper tho, if you just find one that's small enough.

Here's pretty good directions in english how to use volumaster and you could try this with a normal crimper as well. There's also a few pictures so you can see how it comes out after the "treatment" for a normal person, since advertisements are always a bit of a fluff. You can alter how big you want your hair to become by either "crimping" all of the roots or just a few, I myself usually go with a bit of a smaller hairstyle.

» Blog Archive » Review: The OBH Nordica Volumaster

Here's a few pictures from a finnish site:
    THE REAL LUXURY LIFE: OBH Nordica Volumaster

Thank you, coolios.

Coolios rocks!!! Thanks bunches!!
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    I agree with Lalique and Sputnik about texturizing. I've had the best luck with (1) someone who does mostly dry cutting, then washes the hair and evens things out a bit, and (2) my current stylist, who uses a razor and nothing else on my hair. She does a lot of slicing.
    I don't know if this would be an issue with your type of hair, every other cut might need to be scissor trimmed to avoid getting fuzzy ends from the razor. That's what happens to my mother, I never noticed it on my hair.

Another trick to try is baby shampoo, I've heard that it's great for really fine hair since it has no residue to weight the hair down. Another thing, there is this product called Wash and Curl. It's a shampoo that my grandmother has used and sworn by for years. My hair became HUGE after using it just once and my hair is big to start with so I won't do that every again.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

^^ So far I haven't noticed fuzzy ends. I think maybe if razoring is done right, that doesn't happen. But you're right, it definitely can.

I use clearing shampoos and rotate shampoo frequently to keep the residue out. Haven't tried baby shampoo.

Along similar lines, I use almost no conditioner. Sometimes I use none but use a really light leave-in spray conditioner instead. That helps.

Wash 'n' Curl ... found it on Amazon. Hmmm.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Can any one advise me on how to curl/wave my waist length hair on a temporary basis (no perming!). I've tried rollers and heated rollers and all that happens is the bottom five or six inches gets a nice wave and curl and all the rest stays straight. It takes forever to get a head full of rollers in, and the thought of having to go over each section again with curling tongs is not only heart breaking but would mean setting aside a whole afternoon to do my hair just for a few hours out on an evening. I also figure that it wouldn't do my hair much good, either!

Suggestions, anyone?

Kittylady, I'm waiting to see if anyone has good advice for you. I'm pretty sure that it will be hard to get waist-length hair to hold a curl higher up the hair shaft. The weight of the hair itself will pull the curls straight. And if your hair has no layers, or is thick/coarse, that'll make it even harder to curl it.

Even though my hair is naturally wavy, the longer I wear my hair, the more the wave concentrates at the bottom and flattens out on top.

That said, I'd try this ...

Start with the hair somewhat damp and use a light mousse on it, and set it in rollers (plastic salon kind), then let the hair dry completely with the rollers still in. The best way to dry it would be some sort of bonnet, but no one seems to ever buy them:

Bonnet Hair Dryers, Chair Hair Dryer

Once the hair was totally dry, I'd take out the rollers and use a little hairspray on the liberated ringlets. I'd let those hang for a while without touching them. Then I'd gently blend and fluff the curls with my fingers and use hairspray again. Do not use a hairbrush. Brushing will destroy the curls.

Even with this approach, I'm not sure you'll get as much curl as you're hoping for, but you might get more than just the last few inches.

Anyone else have a plan?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Thanks!

I have fine hair, and would be happy with waves even if I couldn't have curls. It's just a pain in the arse trying to do something a little different with it for going out. Pinning it up can be a bloody nightmare, too. I had a friend fasten it into a french pleat (I think thats what they call it) for me once, but the effect was rather too Patsy from Ab Fab! Another time I tried plaiting it while damp to get a little wave into it, but as soon as I brushed it I turned into a cross between Art Garfunkle and Sideshow Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Blunt cut! Not layers!
    I completely disagree. I have the exact same hair/face type as you (thin, limp hair with heart shape) and the best thing I ever did was trade my blunt hair cut for a layered cut. The layers help add body to the crown of your head giving the illusion of fuller hair. I also recommend teasing the crap out of your hair and buy a bumpit. I bought one and I love it.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Can any one advise me on how to curl/wave my waist length hair on a temporary basis (no perming!). I've tried rollers and heated rollers and all that happens is the bottom five or six inches gets a nice wave and curl and all the rest stays straight. It takes forever to get a head full of rollers in, and the thought of having to go over each section again with curling tongs is not only heart breaking but would mean setting aside a whole afternoon to do my hair just for a few hours out on an evening. I also figure that it wouldn't do my hair much good, either!

Suggestions, anyone?
    I suggest trying a curling mousse. Apply a medium amount, rub it with palms, and scrunch it on ends. Make sure to put a balanced amount on hair, don't just scrunch on one place (otherwise, it will be hard and crunchy). Use it when your hair is damp. I recommend using this this.
    A woman has the age she deserves.
    -Coco Chanel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information