Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Going from Dark Brown to Ash Blonde?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Knowing nothing about hair colour, is it worth it to try highlights first to see if the stylist can get the tone you want before taking the plunge and doing the whole head?
    Actually due to the stress & potential to damage the hair, a decent hairdresser will recommend this approach anyway.

Just a note though - I'm a dark brunette, pale skin, blue eyes and my hairdresser point black refuses to take me lighter than a toffee colour. She will NOT blond me because of the damage it could incur. Also there is the whole hair-tone/skin-tone thing.
    McJag likes this.
    Free Charmed.

I'm a carmel blonde with pale skin and blue eyes and Celia will ... hey, now that I think about it, she's opposite. She tells me DO NOT go dark. Of course, my hair is also indestructible...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Taylor's hair color is awful. I hate it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm with Laurent, depends on your undertones. Do you have cool or warm tones? If you're warm toned, don even get highlights, ash just isn't for you.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

1. DO NOTHING to your hair while preggo and for at least six months afterwards.
    2. Consult an expert colourist. This is not a DIY project.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Taylor's hair color is awful. I hate it.
    So glad I'm not the only one. When I think of "ash blonde," her hair color isn't what comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I'm with Laurent, depends on your undertones. Do you have cool or warm tones? If you're warm toned, don even get highlights, ash just isn't for you.
    I honestly don't know. I think I have warm tones, come to think of it. The makeup that looks good on me is bronze/golden tones, and my best clothing color is bright red. So maybe this color just wouldn't work on my coloring at all. I'm not sure. It's frustrating because I have wanted to go blonde my entire life. My stylist always refused to do it. My natural hair color is a dark brown but I also have red and gold strands that really pop in the sun. I just always wanted that very pale blonde hair, and I like Taylor Swift's because it doesn't have any yellow to it.

It's frustrating because I have wanted to go blonde my entire life.
    Why? I'm always curious as to why fellow brunettes/browns want to go blonde. Usually, it's not a good look for us.

I'd say just go for highlights if you are really craving lighter hair. Going for the full head will require lots of regular salon visits and money to deal with regrowth and possible damage. Plus brunettes have more fun.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

southernbelle, you sound like the same skin / hairtype as I am: I have dark brown hair, almost black, and a warm skin tone, altough a bit pale, at least during winter. I always dye my hair a few shades lighter though, at least in the winter. So my natural hair colour is like this:

During April and May I travelled through Costa Rica and Panama and my hair get lighter because of the sun / beach / bad shampoo. During the rest of the summer I was mostly outside, as much as I could, therefore my hair turned into something in between dark-blonde and light-brown. I decided to dye them even more blonde to see how it suits me - going back darker is never a problem.

I used a honey-blonde, which supposed to look like this:

I knew it wouldn't turn out the same though. So my hair colour right now is like this:

it goes well with my skin tone, I'm a bit olive and my eyes look brighter with that hair colour. But to be honest, I like myself better with my dark hair and will dye them back in a few months
    southernbelle likes this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    Why? I'm always curious as to why fellow brunettes/browns want to go blonde. Usually, it's not a good look for us.
    I think it's just curiosity and wanting to try something different. I do agree with you about it usually not being a good look, because I know very few brunettes who have done it successfully. I almost never like the way it looks when I see a brunette friend or celebrity do it, which is probably why I keep chickening out. I have one friend in particular who went from dark brown to a platinum blonde when she left for college, and she's never gone back to brunette. So, I guess she's satisfied with it, but IMO the blonde looks awful on her. It's obviously not her natural color, it takes on a yellowish tint, and there is a dark brown/black stripe down the middle of her head because she can't ever keep up with it fast enough to prevent roots from showing.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

If you are really that curious then why not go to a store that carries wigs and try a few on in your chosen colour. It doesn't matter if they aren't in a style you'd wear, just so long as you can get an idea of how the colour will suit you.
    McJag and Bluebonnet like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

OK. I didn't want to mention this but read it. All.

Is it normal to lose hair after giving birth? | BabyCenter
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    OK. I didn't want to mention this but read it. All.

Is it normal to lose hair after giving birth? | BabyCenter
    Oh my gosh. I wasn't aware of that... I already have pretty fine hair, so hopefully the hair loss isn't too bad. It has always been stick straight, though, to the point where it won't hold a curl even if I try, so it would be nice if the texture changes a bit and I get a few waves! I wonder if it would grow back a different color, too. I've noticed that sometimes when people get chemo and lose their hair, when it grows back it's a different color than it was before, but I'm not sure if that's due to the chemicals in the medication or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I honestly don't know. I think I have warm tones, come to think of it. The makeup that looks good on me is bronze/golden tones, and my best clothing color is bright red. So maybe this color just wouldn't work on my coloring at all. I'm not sure. It's frustrating because I have wanted to go blonde my entire life. My stylist always refused to do it. My natural hair color is a dark brown but I also have red and gold strands that really pop in the sun. I just always wanted that very pale blonde hair, and I like Taylor Swift's because it doesn't have any yellow to it.
    You know that there is a reason for that don't you? Hint: think about what you said about your college friend's hair....
    I agree with Kitty, go try on some wigs. You will be shocked by the results and it may change your mind.
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information