Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Gag-worthy perfumes/colognes

^^ Dear me...!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

I like both Chancel No. 5 and Coco in small / moderate doses. And I wash my body and hair every day. I also don't think that Obsession is that cringe-worthy.

I don't really like any of the Dior poison perfumes, neither Yves Saint Laurent's Opium. I'm not really keen on the Gaultier one with the female torso either, there was a time when that smell seemed to haunt me everywhere. Ah well, the flacon is nice I guess.

I agree that perfume shouldn't overpower you, or remain after you've exited. I like sophisticated scents, I have no use at all for musky or fruity scents. In fact, anything with vanilla in it makes me want to barf.

As far as the hygiene thing goes, when I was younger my mom (who had very oily hair) made me wash my hair every day because of her obsession with cleanliness. My hair is not oily like hers, in the least. I went to a hairdresser back when I was 16 who asked me how often I washed my hair because it was so dry. I told her every day, and she scolded me. Now I never wash my hair every day, or even every two days. I let my hair tell me when it needs to be washed, I'm very keen at checking for any kinds of odor, I'm exceptionally paranoid of smelling bad. But it never smells after a few days, and it looks better and healthier than ever because I'm not stripping my hair of its natural oils. I use the bidet and wash with a washrag to take care of my body, but my skin and hair is so sensitive and dry there's no way in hell that I would be comfortable taking a shower every day.

For those who have oily hair, I've always heard that daily shampooing actually increases oil production.
    When you wash away all the oils the scalp goes into overdrive to replace them.

It may be yucky for a few weeks, but the scalp will gradually adjust if you stretch out the time between washes.

I guess it can depend on your particular hair texture and length though. My hair is long, thick and wavy and tends to be dry.
    It only needs to be washed two times a week at most. I mainly only do it that often to condition it and give it moisture.
    Maybe if I washed it every day it would become oily?

As for baths, every day unless I'm sick or something.

Elite Member

Don't laugh - but I still wear my Loves Baby Soft from when I was a teenager. It's pretty, fresh and subtle. My other two favorite perfumes are old ones, but I've always loved them - Halston and Anne Klein.

I love Channel Sport and Channel Allure for men. One of the best mens' colognes out there in a long time. Azzaro is nice too.

I used to love Samsara and wore it as my signature scent for years. It reminded me of little old ladies, but when applied lightly it smelled great on me. However, in the last year or so I've had to stop wearing it because it makes me gag now. Maybe my body chemistry changed or the perfume just got too old in its bottle, but it's time to hit the perfume counter and try something new.

Yopu should only kee perfume for 2 years max

After that it starts to turn..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

True - but helps if you keep it in the box and away from direct sunlight.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

That Britney Spears 'Fantasy' (I think thats the name) perfume is horrible. It's so sweet...it seems like a cheap whore perfume to me. This girl I worked with used to wear it..it was horrible!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    What perfumes or colognes do you think are the worst of all time?

The worst colognes to me are Ralph Lauren Polo and Calvin Klein Obsession. Both make me want to vomit.

Worst perfume to me is probably some of the vile ones from the 1980s like Exclamation (anyone remember that nastiness?) or one of Elizabeth Taylor's. I love Liz, but Passions was horrible.
    A long time ago I liked White Diamonds for a while, and I even liked Obsession, but I had to put on only the tiniest drop or it was overpowering. I like Devon Violets (English), Shalimar, Tresor and Bal a Versailles, but they are all really overpowering and should be used in moderation. Devon Violets has to be fresh, too or it doesn't smell like it should. All of these I use in extreme moderation.

My preference is to use essential and other oils. Sandalwood oil, jasmine oil, orange oil, amber, etc. Right now I use an amber sandalwood resin that is a bit exotic.

Elite Member

oh I HATE sandalwood. I HATE chanel no 5!! By the way, love your avatar, Mira

Hit By Ban Bus!

^thanks.

Re sandalwood, that's interesting. I feel the same way about Patchouli. Patchouli makes me go ballistic because I lived in SF for many years a long time ago and there were too many unwashed stoned hippies running around using too much Patchouli. I can't stand the smell of it! Chanel No. 5 on the right person is exquisite. On me, it's just OK.

Vanilla is one that many companies go overboard with, and it has to be used very sparingly if at all - otherwise, gag.

A*O

I have NO idea why Chanel No.5 is still the world's #1 selling perfume. It's horrible. I suspect it's down to skillful marketing and advertising and the fact that it was supposedly Marilyn Monroe's favourite and therefore conveys some kind of 'sexiness' - if cat's pee can ever be sexy.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah, I used to feel that way until I had a friend on whom it smelled fantastic - go figure. On me, meh. I like fresh flowery scents in spring and summer, and dark exotic ones the rest of the year, and on dates.

A*O

Well I've tried 'em all and still end up with Chanel No.19 which I love and I know it suits me because people often comment how nice I smell. And after x years I'm still not bored with it (or the compliments!).
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information