Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gag-worthy perfumes/colognes

Let me get this straight: because some slob doesn't comb his hair regularly, which as a well-groomed individual I do frequently, he stinks?

Trust me, if I smelled, my husband/friends would tell me, of that I have no doubt. I always think there's a bit of a Macbeth factor when anybody is so obsessed with cleanliness.

And here's a thought: sometimes people shower daily or every other day, but put on clothes that haven't been washed. I wear something different every day, and I would never put on anything that smelled, or wasn't spotlessly clean. I have a reputation for being fastidious, and I am. I do it for me, however, not to please anybody else.

A*O

I absolutely agree that it's only polite, especially if you are working in close proximity to other people, that you don't stink. And of course if you naturally sweat a lot, or work out daily, or have an occupation that iinvolves physical exertion then having a daily shower and/or hairwash is more or less essential. But to make sweeping generalisations that European women don't wash and cover up the smell with perfume is ill-informed and incorrect. I'm sure if you took your Sniff-O-Meter to any random American mall you'd find a few pongy people there too. That does not mean that all Americans ignore personal hygiene.

And I have worked with some really stinky people. One was a 'confirmed batchelor' so I was surprised that he clearly didn't wash more than once a week because the other gay men I know are almost OCD about these things. His clothes were equally unwashed and he'd wear the same BO-infused shirt for days and days on end. He insisted in keeping his office sealed up like a tomb so no open windows, heat up High and the door closed at all times. We used to absolutely DREAD going in there and people would emerge after only a couple of minutes reeling and gagging. He remained totally oblivious. I think there are some people, particularly some men, who either don't realise they stink or think it's somehow 'natural' or 'manly' to smell like a skunk.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I've worked with people like that, too, and it is not pleasant. I guess I'm lucky that I don't sweat very much, and that I use an effective deoderant. I've also been known to do quick washes occasionally if I even suspect that I am not 100 per cent fresh.

Elite Member

I think a lot of people who smell don't realize they smell...and usually because people are too afraid or embarrassed to tell them. So, I can totally see what you're saying about that man...and yes, a lot of people don't wash their clothes for a long time, so that contributes to the their scent also. Let's not be blind here....a lot of people don't bathe every day, right? And a lot of people do have horrible hygiene habits. I didn't say ALL people do so please re-read my posts. I didn't say ALL FRENCH PEOPLE or ALL EUROPEANS. I didn't mean it that way if it sounded like that. But, I think we're all in agreement that, yeah, unfortunately, there are some people who do stink and it can be really disgusting...and most are totally unaware of it.

To each their own, but for me, I bathe every day. I'm not going to apologize for that...not meant to offend anyone here, but for me, I need a shower every 24 hrs. The only tme I haven't is when I'm really sick, pneumonia or bronchitis and I just couldn't muster up the strength to get in the shower. So, it has happened...and when it does, I don't want anyone around me...lol

I think it's fine to bathe/shower every day if you want to. My husband is the same way, and he washes his hair every day as well. I guess it was just the inference that anybody who didn't was unhygienic. God knows, I wish more people would look in the mirror, change their clothes more often, and brush their teeth more frequently. I am SO glad I don't have to take public transit any more for that reason alone, but as a teacher, I am appalled by some of the poor hygiene I see.

A*O

It's kinda ironic that so many Americans are baffled/repulsed by that most excellent Europen innovation, the bidet which is one of the most useful and effective piece of plumbing you will ever need.
    Dame Edna Everage

I would LOVE to have a bidet. If I ever get to design my own bathroom, that is one of the first items I'm getting.

Elite Member

Oh, I think bidets are GREAT! They should be customary in the States. And I don't know about being repulsed by them, but I do think you're right that a lot of Americans are not used to seeing them.

You know, during the menstrual period, the blood down there smells too. I mean, come on, you can't deny that...sometimes it is a strong odor. That's another factor that we need to take into account too--the 'female' body. Break out that FDS!! lol!

A*O

We have one (our house was designed by a German LOL) and it's absolutely indispensible. Once you have a bidet you will never be able to live without one. Edit: They are excellent during your period too.
    Dame Edna Everage

Elite Member

My brother-in-law (he's funny), buys those 'Cottonelle towelettes' by the case. Those baby wipies for adults (that's what I call them). One time I seen them in my sister's bathroom and we were teasing him about them. My sister said "He buys them! Now he has to have them in all the bathrooms!" My brother-in-law was like "Hey, we don't leave no streak marks in this house. That mandatory!!" hahaha!!

My brother-in-law is definitely one man who would be happy with a bidet!

^^My husband uses those, too. His daughter was freaking out once when she stayed here because I didn't have any in my bathroom. She couldn't believe it when I said that a good wipe with toilet paper worked just as well.

Elite Member

^haha!! My brother-in-law says you end up with 'toilet paper lint' if you don't use the towelettes. God, we were laughing so hard, I think we almost died of laughter that night. Some people are REALLY bad--totally fanatical about cleanliness.

I rather have a husband like yours though than the opposite! I think that's a good thing! You are LUCKY.

^^Yes, mine is very clean. It's a bit eerie at times, believe me, but I always know exactly what I am getting. I dated a guy with bad BO once who refused to do anything about it, and I wasn't the only person mentioning it. He didn't last long.

A*O

MrAO isn't a great fan of cologne or aftershave - he says it stings but I think he has a hangup about smelling 'like a girlie'. I've given up buying it for him because I know he won't wear it. However, thank the Lord he's not a naturally 'sweaty' person and he does take a shower most days, especially if he thinks he's going to get lucky LOL.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

And I have to just chime in right now about that "FDS" remark. FDS being a Vajayjay (term coined by my teen for vagina) odor spray that's not very good for the health of your girly parts. People who use that stuff are more prone to various infections and irritations. A good washing with soap and water every 12 to 48 hours does wonders for holding the very natural smell that some find objectional down to socially acceptable.

Did you know that your vagina is supposed to smell like that not like flowers or meadows or Lysol? It harkens back to caveman pre evolutionary days when that smell was the best way to say to all the cavemen, "Hey, I'm as fertile as the Nile River Valley so come boff me"

Americans are way too obsessed with good smells for various natural body functions. Reminds me of my dad who would always buy lots of cans of bathroom deodorizer when he visited because I never kept that stuff around. I used to give him grieve about it, point out that now it smelled like he'd taken a shit in a petunia patch, and he'd help make the hole in the ozone layer bigger.

Never tried not washing my hair as long as six weeks but I could see that. It was actually thought to be unhealthy to bathe or wash your hair too often in olden days. I only wash mine every third or fourth day when I'm not working out and only then to get the build up of styling products out of my hair. I have dry hair that doesn't stand up to a daily washing if it's not sweaty and greasy from strenuious activity.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information