Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gag-worthy perfumes/colognes

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I hat hate hate...Lempika Lolita is it? Gah, I know a lot of people like it (and I apologize to those here who do, maybe it smells better on you?) but my coworker wears it occasionally and I want to vomit on her everytime I pass and get a whiff of it
    i agree. it smells so sweet i get nauseous if i'm around anyone wearing it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Yeah, but there are some scents that are just plain overpowing period, not because people slather themselves in perfume. No wonder they say to put two tabs of Chanel Number 5 on! That shit is potent.

A*O*, you have to remember that in Europe and other parts of the world, smoking is BIG. It's perfectly acceptable and people do it all the time. Hell, even pregnant women smoke. It's not like in the United States where it's almost practically banned now. So you think these women who smoke in France, Germany, Italy, (or other parts of the world).... don't have cigarette breath or don't have the lingering scent of cigarrettes in their hair and clothing? Uh, yeah, they do. Even in France, the women are known to not wash their hair for 4 or 5 days, then blow it out and relish the oils in their hair--it's considered so chic. Whatever! Body odor isn't exactly that looked down upon as it is here. Anyway, that's why Chanel No. 5 is a top seller IMO--it's a very, very strong scent that masks almost anything else--even with 'two dabs'! lol! It's always been associated with the elite, because that's what they used. But, in all actuality, it's a horrible scent that is much too heavy for the average American woman...unless you smoke, drink, live with 10 cats, don't wash your hair for days and then throw on a fur, dark glasses and wear your 'Chanel no. 5' and think you have it going on. If ever there was an overrated perfume, I think it was that one. For it's time, it did the trick, it made Coco Chanel famous, but it's outdated. There are a lot of nicer perfumes out in the market now.

Chanel number 19 I don't think I've smelled. I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the mall.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Even in France, the women are known to not wash their hair for 4 or 5 days, then blow it out and relish the oils in their hair--it's considered so chic. Whatever! Body odor isn't exactly that looked down upon as it is here. Anyway, that's why Chanel No. 5 is a top seller IMO--it's a very, very strong scent that masks almost anything else--even with 'two dabs'! lol! It's always been associated with the elite, because that's what they used. .
    I can't decide whether you are joking, but fear you are probably not. Of course you may be making this truly bizarre assertion based on your experiences whilst visiting France in which case I demur, but I have to say that during my frequent visits there I have always found the standards of personal hygiene to be exemplary.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^^^
    i actually smell a lot more chanel no.5 in the states than i do in france. i don't think it's all that popular. and the hygiene thing is quite a sweeping generalisation. the french may have been somewhat challenged in that department decades ago and maybe they are not as anal as the americans in that department but i know loads of french people and not a single one ever smells...

eta: message addressed to pretty girl btw. a*o i think we posted at the same time
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I don't know what parts of Europe you've been living in but let me assure you as someone who lived over there for years I haven't noticed this wholesale lack of general hygiene you're referring to expect in remote German villages in mid August during the heavy work of farming. An elevator filled with unwashed German farmers in mid August is not for the faint of heart. Europeans are a lot less hung up about their bodies and sundry natural functions of the body than we Americans are. I think they have it right and we're the screwed up ones.

I never noticed one woman in Europe wearing Chanel #5, it was more popular among my mother's 'ladies who lunch and don't do much else' crowd in New Orleans. I think you got it right with this -

"It's always been associated with the elite, because that's what they used."

and that explains why it was so popular with the society and social climbing set for some years. I don't think it's that strong and I'm reminded of my poor mother every time I smell it.

I find these modern 'is it for a guy or gal' harsh scents far more distasteful but most distasteful of all is any perfume poured on like water. A little is plenty.

Thank Gawd the Mr doesn't wear scents. He smells of soap, good clean skin and that manly man odor I find so intoxicating.

Elite Member

Not just the French...believe it or not, a lot of people all over the world do not bathe or wash their hair every single day. For people who are poor and I can't, that's something different, but for those who aren't poor and just choose not to, I find that disgusting.

And yes, a lot of women in France do NOT wash their hair...that's why scarves are really fashionable. Even this month's Elle magazine discusses that...it's not considered bad to them. I just read it a few days ago on my lunch break--one page article. Personally, I couldn't even imagine that...my hair is oily and I need to wash my hair every day...and I have a brother and a cousin who are both stationed in Europe, have lived there for over 10 years and they say that body odor isn't a bad thing there. It's very common. They are much more open to that than most Americans are: smoking (even for pregnant women), nudity, going topless on beaches, sex, body odor, even not bathing every day...it's no big thing to them, they're very open to that sort of thing. The other stuff I could handle, but not bathing or washing my hair, I couldn't. Sorry, but that's me.

A*O

Oh that's OK then. If it says so in Elle magazine then it must be true I ask again, when did you visit France or other stinky European countries?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    I find these modern 'is it for a guy or gal' harsh scents far more distasteful but most distasteful of all is any perfume poured on like water. A little is plenty.
    Ditto. CK One and its ilk are the scents that make me want to .

I don't think Chanel No 5 is overpowering at all, but probably because I like it and occasionally wear it. Like I said, I think any scent can be gross if over applied, but some are vile even if it's just a drop (I'm looking at you, Giorgio.)

any and all of britney's crap.

Not just the French...believe it or not, a lot of people all over the world do not bathe or wash their hair every single day. For people who are poor and I can't, that's something different, but for those who aren't poor and just choose not to, I find that disgusting.

And yes, a lot of women in France do NOT wash their hair...that's why scarves are really fashionable. Even this month's Elle magazine discusses that...it's not considered bad to them. I just read it a few days ago on my lunch break--one page article. Personally, I couldn't even imagine that...my hair is oily and I need to wash my hair every day...and I have a brother and a cousin who are both stationed in Europe, have lived there for over 10 years and they say that body odor isn't a bad thing there. It's very common. They are much more open to that than most Americans are: smoking (even for pregnant women), nudity, going topless on beaches, sex, body odor, even not bathing every day...it's no big thing to them, they're very open to that sort of thing. The other stuff I could handle, but not bathing or washing my hair, I couldn't. Sorry, but that's me.
    American Elle isn't the last word on French hygiene.

I know a lot of American women who don't wash their hair every single day. Not everyone has exceptionally oily hair and in fact, some people have hair that cannot handle everyday washing. Some people have skin that cannot handle everyday washing, either.

I'm sure this probably comes as a devastating surprise to a lot of Americans, but every culture isn't like American culture and that doesn't make those cultures or those people disgusting. And before this turns into an "us and them" argument - I'm American.

I don't wash my hair every day. According to many top-notch hair stylists and a dermatologist I've spoken to, it's actually bad to wash your every single day as it depletes the natural oils. I have oily hair and my hair looks just fine, and it does not smell. And FYI, I am not "disgusting."

I see no need to wash your hair or even shower every day unless you are doing heavy manual labour, work in an exceptionally dirty/dusty environment, or are working out hard.

One thing most people who aren't Americans notice right away about SOME Americans is how obsessed with they are with showering, and washing their hair, sometimes twice a day. As Laurent said, not everybody is like that. I shower and wash my hair every other day unless I have been doing something extraordinary. And when it's hot, I shower every day, and twice a day if I've been gardening. Sometimes I take a bath just to relax, but I feel no need to waste a precious resource like water on obsessive cleanliness.

Nobody has ever complained that I smell bad, and I am always impeccably groomed.

After reading an article about it (posted on this forum, no less), I tried not washing my hair for six weeks. The few people I told about it couldn't believe it, as my hair didn't smell at all, and it looked much nicer than usual.

Sorry to gross you out.
    2 years...

^^My hair would be dripping oil if I did that. Once in a while when I'm at home for 2 or 3 days without going out, or sick, I let my hair go. And I notice that when I do wash it, it is much nicer than usual.

Yeah, my hair is really dry and curly, that's probably it. When I do wash it frequently, it gets horribly frizzy and my scalp itches nonstop.
    2 years...

Elite Member

A*O*, since my brother has lived in Europe for almost 11 years, I've visited Europe 7 times...I've visited France 3 times, the last being 2 years ago. I also have relatives who live in Spain. My favorite country is Italy. The people, cuisine and culture are lovely there. I'd move to Italy in a hot second.

I work with a few people who don't bathe every day. You can tell they have 'bed hair' from the night before. I work with one Asian man and I don't know if it's the food he cooks, but on Mondays he's 'okay', no noticeable smell, but by Wednesday or Thursday I can't stand to be around him. Unfortunately, I can't really avoid him because we work in the same courtroom. We're within close proximity of each other every single day. During court we usually have to lean in towards each other to whisper instructions and even his breath stinks!

I'm paranoid about smelling bad--like I said, I don't want someone to have to lean over me, whisper into my ear or have to show me a case file, be inches within my body and think "God, she stinks" or "She never smells fresh", because believe me, people DO notice. I hear comments like that at work, people commenting about how certain individuals don't have the greatest hygiene. I don't have to do strenuous labor to take a shower every day. Pardon being so frank, but I use the restroom every day. I cook every day. I eat every day. Those smells linger on the body. I also work-out at least 4 or 5 times a week, so a shower is mandatory for me. It just makes me feel better. I brush my teeth, I floss, I even have mouthwash at work to use after lunch. It's not over obsessive cleanliness either. It's not like I'm scrubbing every other hour or walking around afraid of germs. One shower in a 24 hour period isn't unreasonable. I think it's just common courtesy. Not just for me, but my fellow co-workers too.

I remember my sister saying she worked with this lady who didn't shower every day and how she smelled like garlic. Her hair was oily and full of dandruff. My sister said someone actually complained to the supervisor about it. A few days later, personnel had to pass out reminders to employees about the dress code and personal hygiene in the work place. If it's someone you randomly see, no biggie, but if you have to interact closely or work intimately with people like that on a daily basis, believe me, it can be really upsetting.
    Last edited by PrettyGirl; October 7th, 2006 at 11:09 PM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information