Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fashion's invisible woman. Fashion for size 14 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    An American 14, though, which is a British 18 by most accounts. Here a 14 is generally considered the very beginning of the plus sizes, and I think it's reasonable. I barely need a 14 now, and I'm nowhere near what I consider slim or in my best shape, not to mention five months pregnant. I'd have to consider it a plus size, if just.
    i agree.

most of h&m clothing go up to a size 44 or even 46. (on the charts it says 44 is equivalent to a US size 14 but i think euro sizes are generally a bit smaller so i'd say a 44 is a generous US 12, 36 is equivalent to a 4 or a very small 6, etc).

i do agree that clothing stores should carry more plus-size lines. my mother used to be very overweight and i'd go shopping with her and it was very frustrating for her because 99% of the clothes were ugly, unflattering and unfashionable. this may have changed in recent years but i doubt it's changed all that much. she pretty much had to go high end because they were the only ones whose clothing weren't totally ugly and were well tailored enough to be flattering on a large woman.

at the same time, if i were a designer, i wouldn't just make the same designs for smaller women into larger sizes. no offence, but leggings don't look good on most 'thin' girls, much less on someone who's overweight. the same goes for anything really tight, spandex, strapless, spaghetti straps, etc... maybe most companies don't design and make plus size clothing because they know it's more difficult and takes better tailoring to make clothes that are flattering? and since most fashionable, affordable clothes are made in sweatshops and are crap quality, that wouldn't translate well into plus sizes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

maybe most companies don't design and make plus size clothing because they know it's more difficult and takes better tailoring to make clothes that are flattering?
    I think that's the biggest reason, it's difficult and tricky to do well. That and many designers/companies have the Lagerfeld attitude of not wanting to be associated with fat people or plus size anything.

I clicked on that LeeLee link and I have to agree with Diva, those clothes seem way expensive for what they are. If I'm gonna spend $600 on a dress I'm going to Neiman Marcus.

I recently discovered that IGIGI site and their clothes seem well made. I haven't bought anything from them but I liked this "origami dress."

Looks pretty genius, or at least like a lot of thought went into making it fit and flatter a wide (pun!) variety of shapes and sizes.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

David Meister does plus size.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

is $300 reasonable for a day dress?

I know I wouldn't pay it.
    Free Charmed.

The article says "she has money"

so do I but I still wouldn't pay $300 for a day dress. And they're not even that nice.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    so do I but I still wouldn't pay $300 for a day dress. And they're not even that nice.
    I will say the quality of the David Meister dress I purchased was great; the lining, fabric and stitching were flawless. The only issue I had with the David Meister dress was with the size; never again will I order from Neiman Marcus only Nordstrom for me. It's truly a matter of personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The fact that a size 14 is even considered a "plus size" is the root of the problem.
    you know that US size 14 is an Australian 18?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerorchid View Post
    you know that US size 14 is an Australian 18?
    Yes, and not only that a US size 14 is what a US 18 used to be...just like how I was a 5/6 in high school and 15-20 lbs. heavier and 20 years later, I still wear a size 6 (or 4 depending on the brand). I was very small in high school.

What pisses me off about vanity sizing is that now in the US we have 0 and 00. So even though I wear a 6 or 4, I feel inadequate and yes, fat, because I don't wear that 0. At least the 12/14 women are termed "curvy", people my size just get called "thick", as in, she's not fat, she's just thick. Which, where I live, means you have a little tummy and your thighs touch. In other words, if you have a little meat on your bones, you're considered thick or flabby.

^^In what world do you live where a size 4 or 6 is considered thick? That's absolutely ridiculous. No wonder women have body image disorders. At a size 4 even a 6, I am considered thin with a nice hourglass shape. People compliment my figure not bash it. For context, I have always lived in urban centers v. Middle America.

Outside of the fashion world and Hollywood, those are small sizes at almost any height.

Unless it's your natural build, size 00 or 0 is for celebrities who starve themselves for the sake of their art or for women who have severe body image issues. Love yourself as you are I'm sure you look great to everybody (but yourself of course). You'll look back in 10-20 years with greater wisdom and self esteem and be upset that you gave yourself such a hard time about your weight when it was in fact probably fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Yes, and not only that a US size 14 is what a US 18 used to be...just like how I was a 5/6 in high school and 15-20 lbs. heavier and 20 years later, I still wear a size 6 (or 4 depending on the brand). I was very small in high school.

What pisses me off about vanity sizing is that now in the US we have 0 and 00. So even though I wear a 6 or 4, I feel inadequate and yes, fat, because I don't wear that 0. At least the 12/14 women are termed "curvy", people my size just get called "thick", as in, she's not fat, she's just thick. Which, where I live, means you have a little tummy and your thighs touch. In other words, if you have a little meat on your bones, you're considered thick or flabby.
    Aw! You can come & live in my world if you like? I'm a US 12/14 and yes, I'm loosing weight but people around here aren't US 4/6s. I live in a rural area where one is expected to have a "normal" amount of muscle mass for doing manual tasks with.
    I don't normally go into the city, but have a couple of times in the last few weeks and its amazing all the different shapes and sizes of women out there, all attractive in their own ways.

The way you describe how you are at a 6 is how I feel about me at a 12/14.

Also I dug out an old pair of jeans the other day and what used to be a 10 is now a 6/8....
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post

I wear a 00/0 or a 24 waist in Lucky Jeans (very true to size) and you know what my thighs touch a bit and I've got a bit of a tummy but I swim in a 00 at Abercrombie and Fitch. Am I some kind of freak??? In junior dress sizes I actually have a real number for a size. There is nothing wrong with me or my size/weight/muscle mass/body fat index. Just stop paying attention to the stupid fucking number on the tag.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    ^^In what world do you live where a size 4 or 6 is considered thick? That's absolutely ridiculous. No wonder women have body image disorders. At a size 4 even a 6, I am considered thin with a nice hourglass shape. People compliment my figure not bash it. For context, I have always lived in urban centers v. Middle America.

Outside of the fashion world and Hollywood, those are small sizes at almost any height.

Unless it's your natural build, size 00 or 0 is for celebrities who starve themselves for the sake of their art or for women who have severe body image issues. Love yourself as you are I'm sure you look great to everybody (but yourself of course). You'll look back in 10-20 years with greater wisdom and self esteem and be upset that you gave yourself such a hard time about your weight when it was in fact probably fine.

For whatever reason in the area I live, most women are either plus size or very small and tight. These are women I see every day at preschool, church, the mall, etc. So I guess I am comparing myself to them. When I am in the dressing room trying on a size 4 and feeling pretty good, I hear another woman ask the sales person to please bring her a 00 because this 0 is "so big". Happens all the time.

I know I'm at a healthy weight and size for my height. But from about age 25 on, I started to feel very self conscious in a bathing suit. I think the reason is because of my teeny tiny SIL. She's a bit shorter than me but she's always had this really toned body without hardly trying. 25 is about the age I started going to the beach with DH and his family every year. Next to my SIL I look fat. She has a totally flat stomach, mine looks like Britney Spears'. I feel pretty good in clothes, I have the know-how to dress well and accentuate the positive, but when it comes to being nearly naked I just want to crawl in a hole. Maybe this is just an incorrect perception, but I feel like when you are "almost" there your flaws are more noticeable...like if a woman is just bigger all over she is kind of invisible when it comes to picking her apart. When a woman is mostly thin, people focus on her flaws. Like, oh, she'd be perfect if it wasn't for those saddlebags. Or, she'd be perfect except for that muffin top.

My family doesn't help. For whatever reason they always notice my weight. If I have lost weight they say something. It's a compliment, but yet I feel like I am being monitored or watched. If I have gained weight and they are silent I am thinking they noticed I gained and don't want to be mean.

It would be nice if they can just tell me I look good without saying, oh, you look so skinny or making it tied to my weight. I work pretty hard to dress nice and I'd like to be complimented for my fashion Unfortunately, my family knows nothing about style. My SIL just figured out boot cut jeans! It would make my day if they'd notice my gladiator heels and say "cute shoes"!

They even commented on my weight when I was pregnant. Saying things like "you look just right for a pregnant woman" meaning I hadn't pigged out and gotten too fat. Or saying things like "you can't even tell you're pregnant from behind".

So I do have a complex. I feel like my figure flaws are noticed. I know deep down inside most people could give a shit if I have a gut, but I'm still self conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I wear a 00/0 or a 24 waist in Lucky Jeans (very true to size) and you know what my thighs touch a bit and I've got a bit of a tummy but I swim in a 00 at Abercrombie and Fitch. Am I some kind of freak??? In junior dress sizes I actually have a real number for a size. There is nothing wrong with me or my size/weight/muscle mass/body fat index. Just stop paying attention to the stupid fucking number on the tag.
    How tall are you? My stepsister is the smallest person I know, I mean she's 5 ft. tall and probably 95 lbs. I asked her once what size she wears, because I thought for sure she'd be a 0. She said she wears a 4. I couldn't believe it...I mean, she is practically child size. I think it depends on where you shop honestly. There are some old school department store brands that don't vanity size.
    Last edited by Tati; April 10th, 2009 at 12:28 PM.

you were more correct when you said "plus size women are invisible" and they get critisised from unhealthy eating habits and the strain that they place on the healthcare system.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    on a sidenote, when are fat chicks EVER invisible?
    When they're on the internets? Seriously, can you see me???

Try being short and solid. Options are limited. There's always that fun oxymoron, petite plus sizes. Bastards.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information