Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Facekini? Absolutely hideous!

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    I don't think it's always to "not become darker". Both my parents were born and raised in Indonesia (my dad would be 100 this year if he still were alive, my mom recently turned 90), and it was just considered common sense to not stay out in the sun, especially in the middle of the day (hence the afternoon naps) and carry or sit under a parasol, wear a hat or sit under a tree in the shade.
    True, but I'm only giving an explanation why my aunts carried their umbrellas around. They used products to lighten their skin and they wanted to keep it that way.
    Rock the fuck on!

These things look sweltering hot. Your head retains a lot of heat, and this looks like an oven for your head. I get not wanting to burn and wanting to protect yourself from skin cancer - if that's what it's about - but I would pass out in one of these.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    These things look sweltering hot. Your head retains a lot of heat, and this looks like an oven for your head. I get not wanting to burn and wanting to protect yourself from skin cancer - if that's what it's about - but I would pass out in one of these.
    I was recently reminded (due to sunburn) that the sun doesn't need to be hot to burn you though. I'm not saying that I would wear one of these, but I understand why people do. That said I'm seriously considering getting some anti-UV gloves, especially for when I'm driving.....
    darksithbunny and Waterslide like this.
    Free Charmed.

I might be buying mom one of these next summer; she had skin cancer three times on her face
    heart_leigh and Waterslide like this.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I might be buying mom one of these next summer; she had skin cancer three times on her face
    Wow. Was she out in the sun a lot, with no sunscreen, during most of her life?

I have actually used umbrellas when the sun is too hot and I've gotten strange looks, but I don't care. Hats, UV gloves, sunscreen all sound like good ideas to me. I don't want to wear one of these creepy things on my face, but I see the idea behind it.
    Laurent and Novice like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Wow. Was she out in the sun a lot, with no sunscreen, during most of her life?
    My Granny had skin cancer on her leg. She never sunbathed & always wore skirts that covered that part of her (I never remember her wearing trousers).
    My pa has had a lot of early stage removed from his forehead - he always wears a hat in the sun, so this must've been from "everyday" stuff in northern Europe.
    Free Charmed.

I so wish I could take back the time in my younger days when I willingly tanned, and worse, burned. I even went to the tanning bed for a while in high school. I haven't done any of that in 15 years, but maybe too little too late. You all that had the sense to cover up have it all over me.

I hope your mom is okay, darksith.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    My Granny had skin cancer on her leg. She never sunbathed & always wore skirts that covered that part of her (I never remember her wearing trousers).
    My pa has had a lot of early stage removed from his forehead - he always wears a hat in the sun, so this must've been from "everyday" stuff in northern Europe.
    I thought I read somewhere that you could develop skin cancer in a different place than where you had received most of your UV exposure. Which seems a little strange to me because I always thought that the cancer was kicked off by mutations in the genes by direct and prolonged UV ray contact.

The very first picture shows a woman with that silly hood, but her arms and chest are bare ... how does that make sense?

Dunno about that Mo?
    Laurent - My sister is the same, tan tan tan when I burn at the drop of a hat. Now she looks much older than I do due to sun damage (& I used to smoke!!!)
    I do occasionally have 3 mins (1 token) on a sunbed, which doesn't tan me but helps with the Vit D since we have very little sun here (other than the 20 mins in which I burn) and I'm more concerned with my bone health at the moment.

Sith, my best for your mom too.
    Free Charmed.

You will see me carrying an umbrella a lot here, but only because the air is so thin here you can get nasty sunburns in less than half the time. A lot of people do. We'll be at the kids' football game, and by halftime, half the crowd has shades or umbrellas up.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    You will see me carrying an umbrella a lot here, but only because the air is so thin here you can get nasty sunburns in less than half the time. A lot of people do. We'll be at the kids' football game, and by halftime, half the crowd has shades or umbrellas up.
    I used one in Gatlinburg, TN a few weeks ago. Which is up in the Smoky Mountains. Initially, I had it for the rain, but then the sun came out and it was about as intense as what I've felt in the Carribean.

Cultural thing. Being out in the sun/darker means you labor in the fields. The lighter your complexion, the less manual labor you do and more wealthy you appear.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Is sunscreen not effective enough protection? This is a genuine question, we don't really have sun here
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information