Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eczema and other skin conditions (warning: icky pictures)

I suppose it's possible but they aren't really grouped together. It looks more like I went camping in the woods and was eaten alive by mosquitoes.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

Stress.

You said you're getting married, right? Stress. If there is any time that my psoriasis will break out, it's around exam time or some other hectic period of sustained tension.

Also... did you take Naprogesic (I think it's called Aleve in the US - the non-trademarked name for the drug is naproxen sodium and is generally used for period pain) at any point in the days before you went sunbathing?

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I have exzema,too. It's on my elbows and i usually forget about it until I see myself in the mirror, usually during exercise class. I'm very fair like you, so my patches look more pinkish.

I've found that products with AHAs and salicylic acid reallt help to deflake and smooth the skin. Acne topical over the counter meds usually contain SA. I especially like this skin mattifying lotion I have that is supposed to go on under your makeup. I've found it really helps with some psoriasis patches I have on my scalp without making my hair oily. Skin lotions with AHA are great,too (such as AlphaHydrox). I scrub in the shower and use a jojoba oil mixture I made to coat my skin before I dry off. It's amazing how it helps. I can't even see my elbow patches at all now.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elite Member

Default re

Here are some things that should help. I have (had) eczema, too, and I have those annoying red bumps on arms and thighs (keratosis pilaris).

Anyway:

-Take fish oil and/or flaxseed oil (omega-3s) taken internally--this helps with most skin problems

-Use goat's milk soap

-Avoid using soaps, body washes, etc. with SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate)--these are found in most drugstore body washes, shower gels, etc.

-Get a shower filter

-Triceram cream by Osmotics is really great--it helps rebuild the skin's natural barrier function. It is non-chemical and while it is expensive it is worth it.

I've had eczema since I was a kid. It comes and goes, but it's flared up at the moment. I get it on my legs, arms, back. I use a cream called Betnovate which I get on prescription from the doctor. I hope you find something that works for you.

I vote for allergy testing.

I am allergic to corn and used to have HORRIBLE skin issues. Rashes and hives and eczema looking stuffs all the time - until I discovered my allergy. Now they are gone - completely. Food allergies are powerful and sneaky things.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do take flaxseed oil and a multivitamin every day but I definitely don't get enough water so I think that might be part of the problem. My insurance still hasn't come through yet but I got another tube of clobetisol and I've been using that for the past week. I also bought special dust mite reducing pillow and mattress covers for my bed and I have been taking benadryl at night. My itching has decreased quite a bit and my hand looks a lot better. It still feels incredibly dry and has a lot of pinkness to it (I think some of it might be scarring) but it doesn't itch (THANK GOD!!) and the swelling has gone down.

This is what my hand looks like today (ignore the fact that I haven't changed my chipped polish in almost two weeks)

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    ick, i have that around both my elbows.. i think my computer chair arms need to be disinfected or something.

I've got cortisone ointment im slathering on.. seems to be working, but it's damn annoying. I wish i knew what triggered it.
    Grim, you may have to unscrew and remove the arms from your chair and go without. I was constantly plagued by my eczema flaring up in a five inch patch just below my elbow. I scrubbed the arms of my chair several times and even used some antibacterial facial wipes on them to try and solve it but it still persisted. Taking them off was the only thing that worked in the end. I still get the odd flareup on other parts of my body, but only when I am very run down, stressed or using a product I haven't tried before (its like russian roulette whenever I try a new brand of mascara - eczema around your eyes is a bitch!). The last time I had a really bad outbreak was when the laundry detergent I used changed the formula slightly and I had outbreaks anywhere my clothing was pressed closely to the skin, like my waist and bra line. The insanely itchy nips were the killer for that little escapade.

As irritating as it is, though, I'm glad I don't have psoriasis like my mum does. It has gradually got worse as the years have gone by and now they say that it's severe plaque psoriasis. She gave up smoking as that was supposed to ease it, and stayed off the smokes for year but it went into serious overdrive to the point where there was more psoriasis than healthy skin on her body. Now she's smoking again, limiting herself to five cigarettes a day, and it has cleared up a hell of a lot. It's still bad, though, and its very rare that she is able to wear a skirt or a short sleeved top. She's also started having the odd herbal smoke for her arthritis (right hip/shoulder and spine) and says that seems to be helping, too. She does have a steroid cream that she can use as well but it warns on the packaging that it should only be used for short periods at a time as it can thin your skin.

Plaque psoriasis:

Silver Member

I used to work at a beauty store and there was this lotion with dead sea salt in it that worked well for this. (many customers would return and stock up on $80 of the stuff) it was called AHAVA, they have hand lotion, foot lotion, scrubs, all that good crap.

Even if you don't have skin problems it's still pretty amazing. I used to get free samples of the hand lotion and would end up with baby soft hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey Normal View Post
    I may have your answer. You may have hand psoriasis instead of hand eczema. If you are treating psoriasis with eczema cures, it won't get better...I personally know! Please get yourself to a dermatologist ASAP, there is really nothing over the counter that will help. Topical steroids were the miracle cream sent from the heavens for me (specifically Halobetazol). Once you've gotten it under control, you can go to milder versions. They may need to do a biopsy to confirm exactly what it is. My hands looked EXACTLY like yours! I never had any problems until I got pregnant for some reason. My hands would itch like crazy, I felt like I was going mad, then I'd get these little cuts (like big paper cuts) on my fingers and sometime little teeny tiny clusters of blisters that would itch even more. Yeah, that was a fun ol' time. Sometimes I also get itchy spots on my lower legs/ankles, it's psoriasis too. The same med for the hands usually clears it up. My hands aren't perfect now, but way better. Also, I've used the steroid cream for months on end until I got things under control. The derms prefer you use it for shorter amounts, but mine was a really stubborn case. I now can switch to Cutivate, which is less potent. Good luck, give me updates!

One other thing...ONLY wash your hands with Cetaphil, mine will flare up if I use anything else. I even keep Cetaphil in my purse.
    That's very interesting. I have the same problem but for some reason it's only limited to my little finger on one hand. Ever since having my youngest I've had it come and go. It was away for a while but has come back these last few days. So itchy and irritating. I'm currently using something containing a fatty substance which makes a huge difference. I feel so bad for those of you who have it on a larger scale, must be torture.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

If the dust is setting you off get a HEPA filtered vacuum and also vacuum your mattress when you change out the sheets.

I get keratosis pilaris which seems like a cakewalk compared to eczema.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Bronze Member

My mom's hands used to flare up with sores just like that. She said it was her "nerves."

She used some kind of white cream in a tube and Xanax lol.

Despite the fact that this thread is almost 3 months old I have FINALLY made an appointment to see a doctor. I'm going on Thursday. We'll see if this sheds any light on my condition.

Despite the fact that this thread is almost 3 months old I have FINALLY made an appointment to see a doctor. I'm going on Thursday. We'll see if this sheds any light on my condition.

I work in healthcare and all I am going to say is that your Doctor will be able to tend to you with no troubles at all.

Please do not worry, dear.

Bronze Member

Default The answer is here you lucky people

What you have is not eczema. It's fungal, like athlete's foot. I am 100% positive. You need to buy generic Terbinafine hydrochloride 1%. You don't need a prescription. Don't buy fancy stuff, brand name stuff like Lotrimin. I don't know what else is in it, but it would probably work too, since it has the Terbinafine hydrochloride you need. I bought Athlete's Foot Cream made by Top Care for about $7 at Wegmann's grocery store. It sounds gross, but the cream is good, and it doesn't smell. What it will do is inhibit the enzyme the fungus needs to make another substance to make it's cell walls. Supposedly, the cream, and buy the cream, doesn't work right away, but OHHHH it does. You actually have a pretty controlled case, even though I'm sure it has been worse. Either way, this cream worked right away for me. It will knock off any scales, and your hand will just feel amazingly better. Supposedly, the directions say to only administer the cream once in the morning and once at night, but forget that. You will want to put it on a lot. I just kept putting on a little by a little. Massage it in and keep adding it. There are no bad side effects of adding more. I think it helps. Don't wash it off unless you have too. It is also a good idea to scrap off any hard areas, and wipe the stuff you scrap off on a paper towel, and throw it away, and wash your clean hand. Don't touch any of the scraped area or residue from it on anything, because you will contaminate anything you or it touches. Don't even bother spending the money on a doctor, he probably won't get it right anyway, and I'm right. I figured it out myself. I had the exact same thing on my right hand. It wasn't on my left at all. I would love to see a better quality photo with good lighting of your open right palm. I already know I'm right, but I would like to see it, and it will be good to see the improvement after you get the cream. I had the same marks in the same places. If you close your right middle finger in your palm, you see how there is like a patch of something there? I have the same thing. I just started using the Terbinafine hydrocloride about 4 days ago. All those mosturizers you mentioned will not help you. Don't use them. It's a fungal thing, so you want to keep it dry except for the Terbinafine Hydrochloride cream which will make your hand feel way better. You are better off just adding more Terbinafine if your hand feels hard. I don't think you will have to judging from your photos.
    I went to my general doctor 3 times over the last year, and he offered no solutions, prescribed the wrong medicine, and was just useless. Steroids are definitely not the answer at all. Don't use them. Don't use Clobetisol or whatever. It's a powerful steroid with negative side effects. It just basically powers over the problem that you have instead of treating it. I was prescribed a mild steroid by my general doctor at first, and it didn't really help. Then I went to a dermatologist. I knew for a year that something was on my hand like a fungus thing, but I had about 7 different people from doctor's offices tell me it was not, and even psorisis. All women, except for my general doctor who is just an idiot. When I first went to the dermatologist they had me see this girl who was a physician's assissant. She was obviously dumb, and I asked if she had a medical degree, and of course she didn't, so I told her I came to see a doctor, and I want to see one. It is actually a good thing, because she would have just said something stupid, and I would have been back to square one, and I was there because it was important to me to get these things cured. I play hockey, and one time I got ring worm in my shin pad, and I knew that I just got a patch of ring worm on my foot from wearing these awesome van shoes I like that got a hole in the bottom and from walking all over NYC all the time, and then dirty NYC water got on my foot. This girl couldn't even identify that. So basically whatever, it is important to add because there are certain standards of care, and I was going to pay the same amount either way. So I saw the dermatologist and she actually prescribed clobetsol, the same thing you used. I bought it, but I never even opened it up, because I didn't want to use it. I knew it wasn't the answer. I also really grilled her about other information about skin. I asked her very good questions, and I went back to see her after she quickly escaped, after not telling me basic things a doctor should do. She was just going to prescibe stuff and leave. She didn't even tell how long it would take to heal. Fortunately, she also prescribed Lotriman for the ringworm, which I had to point out to her and convince her of, but I didn't buy that, and got the generic stuff instead, and then thought that it would work on my hand, and if anything wouldn't hurt, and bing-o. The dermatologist didn't even make the connection with the stuff on my hand being a fungus. And that is what she does everyday!!!! Terrible. How did your case first start? I also have been doing some reading online about this kind of thing.
    I'm 28, and I actually have blond hair too. I also am into making delicious food stuff. I looked at your left hand again, and my hand looks exactly like your hand except mine's a guys. I have the same moles in the same spots. I am not joking. I am totally freaked out. I have goosebumps all over me and it gave me the chills. I also looked at your post real quick about Naniamo bars, and that's funny. My family has a summer place on an island out there, and I grew up with Naniamo bars. You can even buy them on the B.C. ferries. I also love Eugene. One time I played hockey for WWU and we played the ducks at Eugene. I bought an awesome cowboy hat there. Pretty much my whole team had cowboy hats and we wore them to the game, and I had so much fun.
    I am absolutely delighted to be able to help you and other people that have exactly what you have, because I know how absolutely miserable it is. I still have this other thing on the top of my right thumb and just got the same thing on the top of my right pinky, but I think it is clearing up too, but I was thinking that maybe it is something else. I had the same thing on my right three nails. I think I am at a stage in it getting cleared up. I think you only absorb 5% of the active ingredient. It takes some time for the medicine to completely work. Probably, 2 weeks. Though you won't have to put on nearly as much as you did at first. It's an indirect curve when it comes to the benefits of the medicine.
    With the red bumps you described, I think you have mites living in your sebaceous glands. In animals, it's called mange. Your infested with mites. I read about it, and I can let you know what to do. You might actually wash your sheets too much. Sorry, I wrote this way after I read your post, which I didn't even need to do since I saw the picture, but forgot to tell you that your laundry detergent probably has nothing to do with anything. Maybe, if you don't wash out the laundry detergent out of the laundry, but even then, I don't think so. It's mites, I think. I just read about it. Oh yeah, it's probably definitely not bed bugs. Just so you know, you can see bed bugs. They are a problem in NYC. I'll let you know about the red bumps, but get the generic Terbinafine hydrochloride 1% and start putting it on. Oh yeah, I loved the House reference. hahaha It's never lupus. haha I'm so happy I'm able to help you. Hope to talk to you later,
    John McIntosh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information