Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dry hair sucks!

My hair was getting dry so I picked up some Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus from a local beauty supply.

Says: triple acting formula / shea butter+cholesterol+mango / treats & prevents heat & chemical damage,
    hydrates dry, over-processed & porous hair / no heat cap necessary.

After you shampoo, wring out the excess water and slather this stuff on, but try to keep it at least 2" from your roots or it'll make your scalp too oily. Comb it through with a wide-tooth comb and clip it up with a claw clip if your hair's long. Leave it on for about 3-5 minutes and rinse thoroughly with warm water. Follow up with a cold rinse.

Now, everyone's hair is different, what works for some won't work for others, and though I've used cholesterol in the past and didn't like it, this stuff works great (smells nice too)! My hair is sooo picky so I was pleasantly surprised at how silky and smooth it turned out. Even better, I only paid $2.49 for a 20 oz. tub!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

^Wow, I think I'll try that! I have this Silk Elements stuff with cholesterol in it. It's OK, nothing special, from Sally Beauty. Where did you buy it Sweetness?

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Dayum! I was going to post about this earlier today. My daughter got me a 5 oz. tub of this off of eBay for my birthday, and it came in the mail today. I left it on for an hour with a plastic bag and a turbie twist. Then I let my hair air dry.

Be sure to buy the right Kerastase conditioner for your particular hair. This one is good for me. I had another one a few months ago, and it was ok, but this is better.
    I used mine as an everyday conditioner. Slapped it on, rinsed out after maybe a minute of waiting (I'm impatient). Same results as if you had it on your hair for a longer period. I really can't go on enough about this stuff, seriously. It changed my mind about horrifically expensive conditioners being not worth the money. I even bought a tub for my MIL and she whined for days about how much it cost, then used it. Next thing I knew she was trying to convince all the ladies of her exceedinglysmalltown to mail-order the stuff in. She actually took it to work and showed it (and her hair) off like Avon, or something.

Anyhow, you're right about picking the right one. Others don't work so well for me; their Pink line did nothing for my constantly-colored hair. I always use the Green intensive conditioner/repair treatment crap after coloring just in case. A tub of that stuff lasted me well over a year, so the cost was minimal for the repair work it did after a drastic color change (and they were all drastic).

^^ Mira, I got it at a little independently run beauty supply store, but I bet Sally's carries it too.

Regular cholesterol never did much for me either, but I'm thinking it's the shea butter and mango that help make this mix work so well. I gave it a shot because it smelled really nice and the price was sweet-- I never expected such lovely results!

If you get to try it please let me know what you think.

ETA: To help you spot it a little easier, it's kind of a peach color.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wow I googled it and it looks like either a creme in a jar or more liquidy in a bottle. Both $2.49. It seems like a great deal. I've tried the other cholesterols too, but this with the shea butter, etc. looks good.

I have managed to get mine into a somewhat nicer condition using some Redken All Soft Heavy Cream. I have hardly any left though.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I meant to answer this and forgot Sounds great Voodoo. How's it doing since then? I used to use Redken a lot, about 30 yrs. ago when it first came it. It was really expensive then. I'm glad the price has come down. It seems to be making a resurgence lately too. Never heard of this particular product, I'll have to look for it. You can tell I'm a sucker for hair products

Bronze Member

Hi friend !
    i am using the biolage conditioner but it not suitable for me
    because my hair is oily so i want some suggestion about it .
    I love gossiprocks

Hi Mira

Well I bought more Redken yesterday. This time I got the Redken Deep Fuel which comes in a pack of 5 satchels only though.
    I decided it best not to bring my Mum in with me to the Salon so I worked up the courage to ring them today and I told them how bad it is and she had the gall to ask me what else I have done to it. (meaning other colours) She said that was strange that it went platinum. So looks like I am in for a fight to get my money back.

She did however tell me to come in tomorrow so she can look at it and maybe give me a treatment and a toner. So I don't know what will happen because she has got me pissed off already and I am not even back in there yet.

Hit By Ban Bus!

GOod luck with that. Make sure she tells you exactxly what she's using on your hair if you even go through with it. Toner should be ok but make sure...

I need to check for those Redken products! They sound good! And by the way, the 911 products can be bought in smaller sizes for around 14USD but maybe that's only here in the States.

Meanwhile, I thought you'd enjoy a pic of my hair - my daughter took this when I visited her in SF lt month and we walked the Golden Gate Bridge. I like this color, the latest coloring 2-3 weeks ago turned out a little too dark so I'm returning to this.

You've got beautiful hair, Mira! I love the color.

Your hair does look pretty, Mira. I love that color too. What is your normal color? I have such dark hair it's hard to go lighter. I hate the upkeep on it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Thank you! My hair was light brown that would get a lot of blonde highlights in the summer when I was younger. Now it's completely grey. I started going grey in my early 30's. My dad's mother was completely grey by age 20. It seems to affect the female members of our family for some reason though, because the men don't get it as early. Weird.

Your hair looks lovey Mira.

I'm still contemplating the 911 products but I am freaking out over the money I have spent already. Never ever again I will change salons/colourist.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm using the Kerastase Creme Richesse Reconstructive Conditioner. This is the third time. I have to say it's pretty damn good. More expensive than the 911 though. I think I will compromise and go with the Redken or the 911. I can't use cheap conditioners. They dry out colored hair even further.

So you're going back to your old colorist Voodoo?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information