Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drugstore shampoos damaging?

Zee

Default Re: Drugstore shampoos damaging?

^^I work in this industry. Not for a hair care company. For a small company that was burned badly by this practice.

Chances are that you are buying either an expired product that has been adulterated, diluted or altered for lot number coding.

If you see the manufacturer's upc covered with another sticker- Pass it up.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Another salon shampoo user here. I gave up using supermarket brands years ago and have never looked back. I have also done the vinegar rinse and liked it. Great for buildup. I use white vinegar or the apple one. But not all the time, just once every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet
    ^^I work in this industry. Not for a hair care company. For a small company that was burned badly by this practice.

Chances are that you are buying either an expired product that has been adulterated, diluted or altered for lot number coding.

If you see the manufacturer's upc covered with another sticker- Pass it up.
    Crap!! I just spent like $100 getting a bunch of products from B & B from CVS and all there original tags are covered. I wish I had known this two days ago.

I wouldn't think CVS would sell fraudulent merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset
    Crap!! I just spent like $100 getting a bunch of products from B & B from CVS and all there original tags are covered. I wish I had known this two days ago.
    Did u keep the receipt to get a refund?

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet
    How would the product be adulterated?

Why would it be diluted, & who did it, & why would it still be sold in major stores?

And what does "altered for lot number coding" mean exactly?

This just sounds bad, & I can't imagine how/why people are getting away with it. My drugstore sells salon products. I'm going to look for stickers or whatever on the bottles next time I'm in there.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I've read about this type of thing. I think the brand that was in question was Bed Head.

Apparently the products sold at drugstores didn't have the trademark symbol and the buyer found them to have inferior quality.

e.g. read this
    http://www.cbc.ca/story/news/nationa...ll_030516.html

more on conterfeit salon products
    http://www.abc-7.com/articles/readne...icleid=626&z=2

"If you buy Paul Mitchell in any drugstore or supermarket, we didn't sell it to them. It is either counterfeit, or black or gray market, or extremely old or stolen," Dejoria said.
    Last edited by moomies; July 18th, 2006 at 02:38 AM.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Thanks a lot for the articles moomies. I am still so freaking pissed. I might as well have burned my money or flushed it down the toilet.

I tried pantene when I had hair, and i always liked it.. made it all soft.

Now i use head and shoulders, cuz i shave the head
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

When I was in the US, my hair accepted drugstore brands better than my mom's Paul Mitchell products. If I don't use anything too cheap (I mean the dishwasher detergent-like ones) nor anything too expensive, my hair is always shiny and soft. Once my mom bought this extremely expensive shampoo and conditioner and I my hair got completely dry. For mom, it worked well. I guess it all depends on the hair.

Oh, and what works well for me is brand rotation.

Hi! I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by South Lake View Post
    Hi Saima,

I used to be one who believed the salon brands were all gimmicks and that you got the same quality/results from the cheaper, drugstore brands.

NOW, I believe that like everything else, you get what you pay for. I have noticed a dramatic difference in my hair (over time, not immediately) from switching from drugstore to professional.

I first went to a professional salon a few years back, and my hair was so tangled after washing that it took my stylist forever to comb the rats nest out. Lots of split ends, breakage, more sun damage, etc. I continued to use the cheap stuff not believing her that the more $$ was better.

After awhile I started purchasing professional brands - Goldwell, Aveda, Redken, and now Bumble & Bumble are my favorites. There is a huge difference in my hair now! It combs out easily when wet, I have less split ends and breakage, more shine, pretty when blowdrying/straightening.

So take it from my experience and advice - spend a little extra money to get the professional products, it's well worth it!
    Agree with you

i rotate brands (usually whatever i can get on sale) and i mix apple cider vinegar with my shampoo when it loses its shine.

I do buy deep conditioners from the beauty supply store for a lot less and they work really well. I'm pretty sure stuff from Sally's is legit, right?

Nah, I buy the cheap stuff.

V05 Free Me Freesia is $1 a bottle and it works great on my hair. Smells good too.

Silver Member

I buy cheap stuff.

Shampoos do result in some protein loss, even the gentle ones. Almost all shampoos these days are pH neutral for hair which is the same as for skin, around 5.5. But even so some surfactants are harsher than others.

You can diminish protein loss by

a. shampooing less often
    b. using less per use, diluting well before applying to hair.
    c. adding some kind of fatty substance, this makes the surfactants less effective and also dilutes
    d. using gentler (read: less effective) surfactants

No need to spend a lot of money, you can make it as gentle as you want by diluting.

^^ That's exactly what I do. Dilute the shampoo, and use it mainly on just the scalp and roots. My shampoo lasts forever this way, but I do go through a lot of conditioner.

I like the cheaper brands because most do not contain any silicones.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information