Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drugstore shampoos damaging?

Default Re: Drugstore shampoos damaging?

Interesting. I had no idea Pantene was the worst of them all. I had always assumed that all shampoos use the same basic ingredients. But it sounds like higher end is worth the price. And thanks for the vinegar tip. I might try that.

Herbal Essence is the worst shampoo ever! it is extremely harsh... listen to your stylist. she's not just trying to rope you into buying product.

mtlebay... ppl with fine hair will notice a negative effect of their hair a lot quicker than someone with thicker, coarser hair. it's just b/c coarse/thick hair can take a bit more abuse, but it will catch up with them eventually.

it's true, most drugstore brands use waxes or cheap ingredients that really aren't great for your hair & skin. stick to your salon brands, and you will notice a difference.

Hit By Ban Bus!

My stylist also told me Pantene coats your hair with waxy stuff that makes it difficult for moisture and color to penetrate. Honestly, I used that stuff for years and have used Paul Mitchell for the past few years and don't really notice a difference. I'll keep using the more expensive stuff though cause I like to think it's actually preventing more damage being done to my hair through coloring and styling.

I didn't know about the vinegar tip though. I will definitely try it sometime. I occasionally add vinegar to the water when I wash towels because it removes the buildup on them that makes them get kinda hard. It makes them nice and soft again, and also helps preserve the colors. I guess it makes sense that it would do the same to hair.

I love Aveda stuff.. god, it smells so good...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I am very interested in the vinegar tip, but have a question: this weekend I am going to deep-condition my hair. Should I do a vinegar rinse before or after the conditioner?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Prolly before so that you get it really clean of products and ready to absorb.
    k-bubbles

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I use nothing but salon brands but I have for years. Just never got the same results with anything I could buy at the drugstore.. only recently that is. Several of the local drug stores have started carrying salon brands at a pretty big savings, even Aveda, Redken, John Freda and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    I am very interested in the vinegar tip, but have a question: this weekend I am going to deep-condition my hair. Should I do a vinegar rinse before or after the conditioner?
    Definitely before the conditioner. I usually do it after the shampoo, before I condition. The silicone products effectively seal moisture out of your hair - causing the dryness that so many complain of. So you want to get rid as much of that buildup as possible before putting the conditioner on.

Ok, then! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try it like ya'll said.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by tictac
    My stylist also told me Pantene coats your hair with waxy stuff that makes it difficult for moisture and color to penetrate. Honestly, I used that stuff for years and have used Paul Mitchell for the past few years and don't really notice a difference. I'll keep using the more expensive stuff though cause I like to think it's actually preventing more damage being done to my hair through coloring and styling.

I didn't know about the vinegar tip though. I will definitely try it sometime. I occasionally add vinegar to the water when I wash towels because it removes the buildup on them that makes them get kinda hard. It makes them nice and soft again, and also helps preserve the colors. I guess it makes sense that it would do the same to hair.
    I use Pantene now, and for the first time after using it for like 3 months my hair is actually growing past the bra strap length. I've been growing it out but it would always split and/or break, pantene stopped that. so it appears to work on maybe certain hair types.

I tried Pantene once, and it was horrible! It made my hair feel like it was stripped raw.

I have really, really strong hair. Colour, blowdry, straighten, more colour, more colour, and it doesn't look fried. I'm surprised it hasn't all fallen out yet, for all I've done to it!

I currently use Dove shampoo and conditioner, and then on the weekends I use Aveda Shampure - the smell is out of this world! Got a shampure candle yesterday - yummy!!!

I used sulfate-free shampoo from the health food store for awhile, but when I went to get my hair cut, my stylist said it was not cleaning my hair at all, and I had lots of buildup and dirty hair. How embarrassing!

Is white vinegar ok for the hair rinse? I've been reading you should use apple cider vinegar but I don't have any/

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset
    Is white vinegar ok for the hair rinse? I've been reading you should use apple cider vinegar but I don't have any/
    White vinegar is okay for the rinse, but you might want to dilute it even more since I believe that white is stronger.

^^ Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator
    Several of the local drug stores have started carrying salon brands at a pretty big savings, even Aveda, Redken, John Freda and others.
    Several drug stores around here sell salon brands, too, but I wondered if they were the same thing? I know Paul Mitchell puts in their advertising that unless you buy it in a salon it's not real Paul Mitchell. I suspected that was just a ploy to keep people from saving a dime, but wasn't sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information