Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreadlocks?

Go for it, who gives a toss what other people think? They aren't important

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    You know, I am and have always been of the opinion that it's your hair. Do what you want to with it...cut it, color it, curl it, dred it...hey, it's only hair, and it does grow back!
    I have had my hair supe short for years and years now, and have no intention of letting it grow out. I experiment with different colors, too. I have had several shaded of eggplant...a beautiful black/purple color. I figure if I walk into a room, I don't stand a chance of someone else having my hair color! Actually, am getting it cut Wednesday, and need a new color...
    I say go for it! You never know until you try it!

I'd say try dark, deep blood red but red is a bitch to keep..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

You might embarrass the kids. It's kinda hippie looking on a white woman. Just saying so please don't get offended.

They look cute but they're stressful manteinance.
    I usually prefer dreadlocks on boys, but I've seen a girl, short blond hair, who had a lovely "dreadlocked head"!
    I recommend you not to make big wisps, they look better on girls (we have a smaller face), while big wisps are pretty masculine, IMO.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    red is the hardest color to keep...thankfully, I can recolor often for about 4 bucks!
    I colored it last night and the color is "Brandy" and it is a rich reddish brown.

at one time I had my hair up in bright blood red spikes, with a corresponding red stripe down the middle of the goatee hehe
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well, mine sticks up all over my head, but no goatee to go with it! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Ain't that the truth. I once paid - well, I won't even admit what I paid - to get some funky red highlights at a nice salon in Edmonton. They were fading within a week, all but gone in a month. The streaks were bleached first and everything.

I've since used the cheap L'oreal Colour Rays at home, without even bleaching first, and the colour lasted forever. The stuff rocks, I've used the bright red and fuschia. I had a shortish, piecey, adorable funky cut at the time, and it looked awesome. Lesson learned, I guess.

As for the dreadlocks, I say if you want them, go for it! I've seen them look good on girls - I love Ani Difranco's occasional dreads, and a girl I used to work with had them and wore them in a cute big ponytail.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

My hubby has dreads, they are now pretty long he has been growing them for about seven years. They are neat, clean and he doesn't scratch LOL. He just has someone come over and "do' his hair about once every three months (re lock the new growth) and he washes his hair like normal during the rest of the time

Hey. It's just hair-this isn't a lifetime commitment. This is something you wanted to try-do it. No one knows how your hair will look until you try it. Doesn't matter who it usually looks good on-for all we know it will look smashing & you'll regret this wasted time. I hope you do it & post your picture so we can all see! Get busy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Bronze Member

I'd say try it and if you don't like it you can always change it. I had dreads for almost two years but then grew tired and cut them off. It was very difficult for a friend of mine who is white to get locks. It has been about 3 years now and they are pretty long now but she always has them wraped up with a scarf since they don't really look 'good' let down since they are soo fuzzy. I find its hard for certain hair types to look 'neat' in locks because of the fuzziness.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by analyzer View Post
    I'd say try it and if you don't like it you can always change it.
    Yes, I agree. Good luck with trying a new style and don't worry for what anyone says either.

They say warm water takes red out of your hair really fast. If you dye with red you are supposed to wash and rinse in the coldest water you can stand.

I always get red highlights in my hair and that's what my stylist tells me.

There was a girl in highschool that sat infront of me in Brit Lit, she was trying to do them herself, she sat there all during class twisting her hair, and putting some kind of crap in it. It looked a total mess, and she looked like a complete dirtball. I do like them on some people though.
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

You're thinking about getting dread extentions, right? You'd be best off to try to find someone who attatches them using string instead of glueing, because you'd be able to better reuse the extensions later. I still wouldn't suggest using them if you plan on growing your hair out, becuase it would be rather damaged afterward. Actually, if it was me, I'd just wait for the hair to grow out rather than get the synthetics if there was no where nearby that sewed them in.

The synthetic dreads may be thicker than you might have expected, because if they're espescially thin it's more likely to break your hair, and they won't be backcombed or last as long. Not so thick that they wouldn't be pretty, but not the thin thin ones. There's a bit of a variation on this depending on where you go though.

One really good improvement that a lot of people don't know about is that now you don't have to chop your hair off if you don't want the dreadlocks anymore.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information