Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does hair thin out when it's longer?

Hit By Ban Bus!

When I had really long hair Cali, more did fall out. That was nipped in the bud by trimming. I hate straggly hair so that worked for me. Some people don't like the trimmed look. Switching shampoos helped me too. I forget what I was using, it was something quite decent but it wasn't agreeing with my scalp. It's that whole hydroxysomething effect. I forget the name. Someone will remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    Also, I feel like my hair is falling out so much more now that its long, but its probably b/c you notice more with long hair. Right?
    Definitely! All hair sheds, but it will look like a lot more when the hair is longer.

Keep in mind that hair goes through shedding phases. Mine always sheds a lot around this time of year.

I have long hair, just past the bra on my back, and as long as I keep the ends trimmed, it appears much thicker than it is. People comment on how nice and thick it looks, but when I let them touch it, they see that it's actually "fine" hair, but lots of it.

So, my answer is, I don't think it gets thinner as it gets longer, it just may look scraggly if it's not keep trimmed.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

right, your hair will only grow to a certain length and then it falls out, its a natural process. so its rare to have a lot of super long hairs on your head and then enough to make a whole head of super long hair. it only seems more apparant in kids b/c they're smaller but if you take their long hair and put it on an adult it'd be a lot less long obviously. also age does effect volume and your ability to grow long hairs.

Age is such a bitch!

^ I know; im trying really hard not to! And to help that I'm trying to eat right and excercise and water...its very important. the alternative (death) sucks! I really don't want to leave this world, i got nothing to go to afterward since I have no religion or beliefs

I dont drink, or smoke so i hope that pays off one day. I already get told i look 16- which sucks but one day I'm going to be thankful.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^You've said your mother looks young, right StayYoung? That's another indicator.

I was told the same thing as you back when I was your age. And yes, it has helped!

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post
    My hairdresser told me my ponytail was 'two fisted?' What the hell does that mean?
    I believe that means that you need two hands to hold the hair back in order to put a band or scrunchie on it for one pony tail. That is a compliment, your hair is very thick and healthy. You have the makings for a kick-ass french braid, or is that not popular these days.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

^Thanks for the info

And Mira, yep my mum looks young for 47; never smoke, drank and has always eaten healthily and exercised daily. Oh and she was still being asked for ID in her early thirties!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I know hair may have a tendency to thin as we age,
    Yeah - my hairdresser has started laughing at me because over the last year, mine has got thicker & more curly.... I'm 40 this year...

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Definitely! All hair sheds, but it will look like a lot more when the hair is longer.

Keep in mind that hair goes through shedding phases. Mine always sheds a lot around this time of year.
    I think that because its long one notices it more too. I end up having to brush the carpet before vacuuming to get it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    right, your hair will only grow to a certain length and then it falls out, its a natural process. so its rare to have a lot of super long hairs on your head and then enough to make a whole head of super long hair. it only seems more apparant in kids b/c they're smaller but if you take their long hair and put it on an adult it'd be a lot less long obviously. also age does effect volume and your ability to grow long hairs.
    Is it? My hair will grow to my waist if I let it (& I'm quite tall) but its now so thick (it wasn't as thick when I had it waist length) that anything pass my bra-strap & I can't manage it (other that to pony-tail/plait it).

Am I aging backwards????
    Free Charmed.

^ damn you ARE SOOO LUCKY!!!! You should harvest your hair b/c i know ppl would pay big bucks for that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information