Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wear wigs?

I got a short bob, layered to shit. It really made it seem so much thicker. When mine is long and all one length, it just hangs and stays right on the scalp like you said yours does.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

A*O

DD - is your hair long? If it's thin and fine then a really good shorter layered cut will make all the difference. Longer hair is too heavy. I have the same problem and have been getting it cut progressively shorter over the years and now it's a short, spikey cut with caramel/blonde/dark high/low lights and it looks x10 thicker and healthier. Also if you have a greasy scalp try Kerastase Clarifiant shampool to get rid of the oil. It clogs the hair follicles and makes re-growth after natural shedding much slower.

For wigs, go to any Jewish neighbourhood. They have the most amazing wigs, beautifully made and very natural looking. You get what you pay for of course but I've seen some great, stylish, modern wigs - certainly not Grandma Perms.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^ would a layered bob help that around the shoulders?

Something to throw out there, once I ran out of my regular shampoo and had a sample of Head and Shoulders, so I used that, and I have used it ever since. Its the one shampoo that my hair never seems to get used to and it doesnt weigh it down. I also skip conditioner, only using it once a week.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I have the same problem and have been getting it cut progressively shorter over the years and now it's a short, spikey cut with caramel/blonde/dark high/low lights and it looks x10 thicker and healthier.
    Slightly off topic, but I've always pictured you as having this glorious mane of blonde hair for some reason.

Not sure why, but I don't think it's a Heather Mills association, since that nut doesn't have a decent head of hair.

A*O

Sigh - it used to be a gorgeous blonde mane but motherhood and senility have taken their toll. I like it shorter - easy to look after and less ageing.
    Dame Edna Everage

I have read where that thinning hair stuff for men actually works, so there must be something out there for women. Call your GYN's office & see if they can recommend something. Was your hair thicker when you were preggers? Did those vitamins work?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Sigh - it used to be a gorgeous blonde mane but motherhood and senility have taken their toll. I like it shorter - easy to look after and less ageing.
    Even though I have no idea what you look like, it's hard for me to imagine you with a short spiky cut.

I guess I've had what certain people must look like in my head for so many years, it's weird to realize I'm so off.

DD - is your hair long? If it's thin and fine then a really good shorter layered cut will make all the difference. Longer hair is too heavy. I have the same problem and have been getting it cut progressively shorter over the years and now it's a short, spikey cut with caramel/blonde/dark high/low lights and it looks x10 thicker and healthier. Also if you have a greasy scalp try Kerastase Clarifiant shampool to get rid of the oil. It clogs the hair follicles and makes re-growth after natural shedding much slower.

For wigs, go to any Jewish neighbourhood. They have the most amazing wigs, beautifully made and very natural looking. You get what you pay for of course but I've seen some great, stylish, modern wigs - certainly not Grandma Perms.
    My hair is to my chest, like in between my shoulders and my breasts. I cut it to my chin once and it wasn't as "stringy" looking, but I really didn't feel comfortable having it so short, plus I couldn't put it in a hair tie. I like it more to my shoulders, I could even cut it an inch above my shoulders too.

It's so hard because I don't like super short hair, but longer hair doesn't work with my hair type.

Oh and I totally pictured you with longer blonde hair, too! And thanks for the wig shop tip!

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Something to throw out there, once I ran out of my regular shampoo and had a sample of Head and Shoulders, so I used that, and I have used it ever since. Its the one shampoo that my hair never seems to get used to and it doesnt weigh it down. I also skip conditioner, only using it once a week.
    Head and Shoulders doesn't really weigh down my hair, but it's still so flat. I am trying to go easy on conditioner too, like every other day. Otherwise my hair will look damn near greasy!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I have read where that thinning hair stuff for men actually works, so there must be something out there for women. Call your GYN's office & see if they can recommend something. Was your hair thicker when you were preggers? Did those vitamins work?
    Yeah, it was SLIGHTLY thicker, but that's also because I didn't shed hair due to the hormones. My hair now is the same as it was before I got pregnant. I can start the vitamins again and see if they work, I also hear Biotin is good for healthy hair. My hair has always been this thin, it's not really thinning more now, but I know it's going to get worse as I age!

OK-I saw this test on TV-take a strand of your hair-about enough that would fit in a straw. Tug on it close to your scalp. If you get more than 6 loose hairs,yes your hair is thinning. You should go to your doctor-you could have a thyroid problem,in that case. If not,them I'd go back on vitamins & be sure to get Omega 3 ones,too. Spend some moola on a really good hair cut. The only person I knew that had to wear a full wig (after chemo) hated it. She said it was itchy & hot.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^ Ok, I did the test several times and I didn't get any hair out. That's good!

I'll get some of that stuff Deb uses, we have a Sally's Beauty Supply nearby, I bet they have it. And I'll go back on the prenatals again to see if that helps. I need to call some salons and see if I can have a consultation to see what hairstyle would be best for me.

Wish me luck and thanks everyone!

My hair has way more body when I don't wash it everyday. But I do like to wash it everyday. I always thought my hair was to fine to have a layer cut but my new hairdresser cut it in long layers and I love it. It is a few inches past my shoulders at the moment and I do need a trim. She recommended Bed Head Superstar to me.

I just wanted to add that there are wigs now that are more comfortable to wear. They aren't the horrible bulky things they used to be.

A*O

Bed Head products are really good. I also like Kerastase Volumize stuff but you can only get it from hairdressers and they mark it up bigtime. Rather than a wig I think DD would be better off spending the money (probably less) on a really good haircut. Not necessarily short - although it does help - just find an excellent cutter and think about some clever colour too.
    Dame Edna Everage

I also like Kerastase Volumize stuff but you can only get it from hairdressers and they mark it up bigtime.
    So do I but, if you want them cheaper try ebay. The US site has a whole bunch of sellers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information