Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Do you wash your hair everyday?

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread, so this might be a complete repeat of something another poster has said, but here's my two cents.

I have two little girls, 3 & 6 yrs old. The oldest has the THICKEST most beautiful hair you can imagine (from her father), the little has my thin/fine hair. Anyway, the oldest w/the beautiful hair--its also very long. It can be very difficult to tame, especially after being in the pool which completely wrecks it. I have found a few Johnson & Johnson products that have really helped. Its a variation of the old 'No More Tears' type of stuff. It comes in both spray and a heavier leave in conditioner squeeze bottle. I also use a TON of conditioner on her hair every single wash (and we only was her hair 3x a wk). And then after her bath,we put on the Johnson & Johnson stuff and THEN the next morning before I even attempt to brush her hair, I put MORE of the J&J product on (it can be used on wet or dry hair). It does help, but can still be difficult.
    It's not super expensive either which is nice. I have tried so many things and this seems to work well......
    It's eerie. I do almost exactly the same thing -- including the J&J stuff, and using a ton of conditioner. My wife and I both "pre-comb" it (run a wide-tooth comb through her hair) while she is still in the bathtub, and before we rinse the conditioner out. I had no idea what a labor of love having long hair was until I had kids.

^^haha, I also precomb it while she's still in the tub!

And yea, the trials and tribulations of having long hair.....not so much fun sometimes!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It's eerie. I do almost exactly the same thing -- including the J&J stuff, and using a ton of conditioner. My wife and I both "pre-comb" it (run a wide-tooth comb through her hair) while she is still in the bathtub, and before we rinse the conditioner out. I had no idea what a labor of love having long hair was until I had kids.
    Curly hair is tough to care for. Mine is curly, but it wasn't until puberty. It was just wavy, but even then I had knots and my mom was always trying to control it. J&J was in heavy use in my house during childhood.

This is a pretty good website, it has some good info on caring for curly kids.

Welcome to NaturallyCurly.com!
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

DO NOT USE PANTENE!!! It's full of silicone and other shit that clags up your hair so it needs washing every day..... so you quickly have to buy more.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If I'm in sweaty Gym Junkie mode then I have to wash it every day.
    Which is the mode I am in currently. Here in DC the summer has not been kind and I'm a sweater, like instant sweating the moment I stepped outside. I need to wash it everyday or else I smell and look funny (hold jokes)...

Other than that like Soj said, if I'm having a lazy day I'll forgo a wash here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    Which is the mode I am in currently. Here in DC the summer has not been kind and I'm a sweater, like instant sweating the moment I stepped outside. I need to wash it everyday or else I smell and look funny (hold jokes)...
    I'm in the DC area, too. Summer always feels humid, and if I don't keep my hair short, it slowly volumizes until I look like some sort of Chia-pet experiment.

I use Finesse on my oldest child-----Finesse+Conditioner in One...then more conditioner then the J&J stuff.

Wow...when I look at it, what a process!!

Okay, what do you girls that have fine, dry, curly hair use for shampoo and conditioner ... right now, I'm using Bed Head's Moisture Maniac ('poo and conditioner) and I think it's working opposite on me. Like my hair is protesting NOOOO. I use Nexus's Humectress as a leave-in. It's very heavy but it works. I am 39 years old and I still have the ringlets and they go down to the waist of my pants. It is a nightmare but I need to get on a routine because my hair is really suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    I have very thin/fine hair also--yet have a lot of it, if that makes sense.

I do NOT wash my hair everyday. I started doing every other day about 7 yrs ago and wish I had been doing it my entire life. I will occasionally wet it down if its really fucked up or something on the 'off' day, but usually not.

I swear my hair has really gotten much healthier since I started doing it this way.

Makes sense to me because I am the same way. I have very thick but fine hair. I never understood how that could be until my hair dresser explained that fine hair defines the texture and thick defines how much we have.

I wish I didnt have to wash my hair everyday because I have heard that it is bad, but I dont have a choice. Even at my age, I have ridic oily skin/scalp. I have tried hair powder, WEN shampoo, everything. My hair looks nasty if it isnt washed daily.

^^ love your avatar Froogy.

I have fine wavy/curly dry hair. I shampoo and condition every other day. But if I want or actually care to have my hair looking decent on the inbetween days, I wet it and run conditioner through the ends. It just look dry/frizzy if I don't wet it before I style it.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I have very fine, yet thick hair as well. As a kid I would constantly wake up with the knots underneath, at the base of the neck. My mom would dip a comb in fabric softener and brush it out. Why fabric softener, I have no idea, but it worked and smelled good.

I wash my hair every day, most days twice a day. I have always had very oily hair. My mother only washed it every other day when I was younger, finally my father (who also is very greasy) told her we needed to do it every day cause it just looked dirty all the time.

As I mentioned on the earlier "no poo" thread, I wash my hair 1-2 x a week with a non sulfate shampoo. Water washes in between. Seems to work. Hair is healthier since my scalp went through sodium laureth sulfate withdrawal and I'm no longer exposing my body to many of those scary and untested chemicals the FDA recognizes as "generally safe" without any corroborating evidence.

My hair too is very fine but very thick - it's always been on the dry side because of blow drying and my lack of conditioner use (weighs my hair down).

It used to get very rat nest knotty when I was a kid and even well into my 20s. I could not live without "No More Tangles". The tangling situation seemed to resolve itself on its own although I've not noticed any change in my hair texture or thickness. Perhaps different water and showerjet streams have helped.

I wash my hair everyday in the summer. My hair is thick and curly and if I even brush my hair in the mornings, it's gonna frizz up like nobody's bidness. So... when I was my hair, I always leave the conditioner in and go to bed with it wet. I'm lucky because I wake up and my hair looks great - just falls in ringlets. Except right now, its not quite long enough for the ringlets 'cause I chopped it off and am currently rocking what my work buddy calls "Farrah hair"...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hit By Ban Bus!

no I wash my hair about every 3rd or 4th day because it's a pain in the butt.

I am a throw back to the days of curlers to make your hair straight era. I hate blow drying because my hair is long and it freaking breaks my arms. So I wash my hair then use gel to make it less frizzy, then I curl it. Take it down the next day and it looks good for 2 days (unless it rains) then I wear a ponytail. If my hair feels dirty and I don't want to curl it, I'll wash it and put into a french braid - people like my curly frizzy look..... not me, I like the soft curls I get with curling my hair.

What do parents do with little girls who have long curly hair -- kind of like long ringlets of hair? You can't even pretend that it's combed by just brushing the outer layer. I keep thinking that it must be a nightmare to maintain.
    Sounds like my youngest girl's hair, more wavy than curly though. It's beautiful, but if she wears it down it pretty much looks messy within minutes of combing, gets all kinds of food and stuff stuck in it. Braids and ponytails are a must! Or sometimes we do the "half up" with just the top portion pulled back in a ponytail.

When swimming she absolutely has to wear a braid or else it'll become a huge tangled mess.

Yep, this is exactly what I do too. The hair has to be detangled before it gets wet to avoid setting in those miserable knots. Lightly shampoo, then comb the conditioner through (wide tooth), rinse, squeeze out water and clip it up with a clippy claw. After she's dried off and dressed, take the clip out and comb one time. Let it air dry, and braid before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    DO NOT USE PANTENE!!! It's full of silicone and other shit that clags up your hair so it needs washing every day..... so you quickly have to buy more.
    That's right-- hair products with heavy silicone do smooth the cuticle for less frizz, but they also block out essential moisture. Might make the hair look healthy and sleek for a while, but cause a lot of damage in the long run. Especially bad choice for those wanting long healthy hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Okay, what do you girls that have fine, dry, curly hair use for shampoo and conditioner ... right now, I'm using Bed Head's Moisture Maniac ('poo and conditioner) and I think it's working opposite on me. Like my hair is protesting NOOOO. I use Nexus's Humectress as a leave-in. It's very heavy but it works. I am 39 years old and I still have the ringlets and they go down to the waist of my pants. It is a nightmare but I need to get on a routine because my hair is really suffering.
    Sometimes your hair just doesn't like certain products, or you may need to try alternating brands every 3 washes.

Have you ever tried the Aussie products? I really like them-- they work great (on my hair), the price is very reasonable, nice smell, and they're silicone-free. Well some types might have a tad of silicone, but not too bad.

I like to alternate and have a variety of types on hand. You might want to try the Cleanse and Mend. It conditions without being heavy and greasy. What I usually do is condition with it from the roots to the ears, then use the 3 Minute Miracle on the remainder of the length (when hair's looking extra dry). I love that stuff!!

However, I do not like their leave-in products. Or any leave-in products for that matter. They seem to gunk up my hair, making it attract grime. Ends up causing more tangles, which leads to breakage and damage.

Oh and it's also good to dilute any shampoo you use, or at least keep it light on the length. Just enough to cleanse without totally stripping out all your natural oils.

(Sorry I'm a hair geek. )

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information