Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dental bonding

my teeth have worn away so much theyre already short enough.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My consultation was today... It went good. I can choose to go with either veneers or bonding. The estimate price was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be for either. The dentist took some photos so I will get a rough idea of what it will look like when completed. I am leaning towards the bonding to see how it looks and to get use to having it. He said in time I can change to veneers when the bonding needs to be touched up. He said alot of people try bonding first before going full out for the veneers. Only time will tell for me

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    my teeth have worn away so much theyre already short enough.
    Do you grind or clench your teeth and/or have TMJ pain? If so, have you ever looked into a nightguard? It would be a shame to have them fixed up all nice and perty just to grind the hell out of them again.

No, they thought i did and gave me one of those things but it never showed any wear.. on top of that, for the most part i sleep with my mouth open, catching flies

I just have flimsy teeth
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Grimm - I work in the insurance industry, so can give you a bit of advice, but unfortunately it's not good news - veneers are always considered cosmetic, and they're never covered. Unless you have a separate health care spending account, which can be used for cosmetic health and dental treatments.

You can claim all your OHIP, extended healthcare premiums and health and dental items not covered under medical expenses on your income taxes, which should help somewhat.

I think veeners if done correctly can look fantastic.

Elite Member

I'm refreshing this thread because I got veneers today! Well, the temporary ones right now while they're making the real ones.

The good - My teeth look great...I got the top 4 front teeth done. As I stated on the first page of this thread, I had a large gap between my 2 front teeth that had bonding to close it in about 20 years ago. It was time for a refresh. So now, no more big fat 2 front teeth that had started to stain!

The bad - They did lie to me about how much of my real teeth I would lose. I had read that they file them down to nubs and so I specifically asked the office manager about it when I made my next appointment (after the consult). She said, no, no, you don't lose much at all. I went to the bathroom after the filing but before the temporaries were placed and I looked like a toothless hag! I was feeling the nubs with my tongue and they were so fragile they just felt like they would crumble if I bit down too hard. I was about to cry and I had to just keep looking at the before/after pics on the walls and reminding myself that hundreds of thousands of people do this and they're all OK and that once the veneers get on I will look great. But I think that if I had not been lied to I would've thought more about having it done. I could've just had the bonding fixed up or had it removed and done braces.

The neutral - Cost was $4800 for 4 teeth. I had anticipated this at the time of the consult so I wasn't blown away. Actually I was pleasantly surprised that they thought we could just do 4 teeth and get a good result. I was prepared to go as high as $7500-8000, in case they wanted to do more teeth, so $4800 was less than that, so I was happy. Now that I know how much of your real teeth they remove, I am damn glad I didn't have to get veneers on 6-8 teeth.

I've been looking in the mirror all day! My teeth are so white and pretty now. I was always sort of ashamed of my teeth, first I had this huge gap and then I got the bonding done so that was better but then I was self-conscious about my fat teeth.

I just hope these last a long time!

I think the figure I remember is 7 years for the life of veneers. There's a lot of stuff going on within the dental profession right now about the ethics of veneers. A lot of dentists are not being upfront about the fact veneers do not last forever and that once you get them it is a lifetime commitment to keep paying for new ones-especially since your teeth get filed down so low, it's not like you can say you're going to stop getting them.

My mum has teeth that have been screwed into the gum- just the front top four, and apaprently they last forever. I think they're called crowns, and the dentist said its what alot of the stars have done.

And speaking of that, he also made the point that orthodontists are having a hardd time with teenagers especially now because they think that braces will make their teeth look like a movie stars when movie stars have had caps, crowns, veneers- its not a natural procedure, and you have to see a cosmetic dentist to achieve that.

Some orthodontists are wizards. I had really messed up teeth and a super small jaw. A large variety of issues basically. Anyways now my teeth are straight and white and generally fantastic. My jaw line has shifted a bit since I got them off about 8 years ago, but they look as good as any of the Hollywood stars.

Yeah iagree, my orthodontist was a miracle worker too. I wore braces for 3 years- and it was only because i got sick and kept missing appointments, and couldn't get another one until a month or 2 months later. I was only meant to wear them for 18 months ,so it sucked.

20 years come this September.

Elite Member

What was wrong with your teeth before, Chalet, and how many veneers did you have done?

They look great! I'll post a pic of mine once I figure out how.

I had my teeth bonded all along my top row (the teeth which you can see when I smile) when I was fourteen or fifteen. I won't lie to you, it did hurt even with anesthetic, only because I have extremely sensitive teeth. They do have to file them down quite alot to begin the process. But I couldn't be happier with the result. Its as if I always had perfect teeth. I was a perfect candidate for bonding because my teeth were perfectly straight but had big gaps between them. They tried cutting out that muscle between my upper lip and gum, thinking it would shrink the gap between my teeth, but it didn't work. It looks completely natural, I cannot stress enough how much you should try it. I think it took about four hours, but I would have had to wear braces for 6-9 months instead and retainers afterward. Can you see which was the better option? I'm infinitely happy. Oh, and its been over ten years now and I've never had to get them retouched or anything.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I had my teeth bonded all along my top row (the teeth which you can see when I smile) when I was fourteen or fifteen. I won't lie to you, it did hurt even with anesthetic, only because I have extremely sensitive teeth. They do have to file them down quite alot to begin the process. But I couldn't be happier with the result. Its as if I always had perfect teeth. I was a perfect candidate for bonding because my teeth were perfectly straight but had big gaps between them. They tried cutting out that muscle between my upper lip and gum, thinking it would shrink the gap between my teeth, but it didn't work. It looks completely natural, I cannot stress enough how much you should try it. I think it took about four hours, but I would have had to wear braces for 6-9 months instead and retainers afterward. Can you see which was the better option? I'm infinitely happy. Oh, and its been over ten years now and I've never had to get them retouched or anything.
    Did you have bonding or veneers? I got my bonding done when I was 16, to fill a big gap between the two front teeth. All my other teeth were otherwise perfect. But the teeth looked fat and 20 years later they did look stained.
    But they didn't file my teeth down to put the bonding on...they just added to the tooth that was already there to fill the gap. That's why I asked if maybe you got veneers instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information