Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cystic acne. Suggestions?

Despite my shit-tacular week, I managed to get into the dr. I just mentioned to him that I thought it was cystic acne and asked him about some of the medications. He said that they should be fine in regards to my medical certificate but he's not 100% sure.

I got the referral but can't get into the derm for at least a month

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

I had absolutely terrible teenage acne, and it continued into my twenties so I've tried loooooads of stuff. I found that in addition to the stuff the doctor gave me, I made sure I used the correct stuff on my face. I gave Dermalogica a try, their stuff is pricey but it really helped my crappy skin and I found that because my skin was being taken care of properly I didn't get such bad scarring after I started using it. I don't know if it's available over there though, but it's lovely stuff.

Products with salicylic acid are also great for clearing up acne, my doc prescribed me a tub of salicylic acid ointmenty stuff, but I found that a lot of Biore products for bad skin have it as an ingredient so I used that once the ointment had run out and it helped keep breakouts under control. Your diet may also play a factor so keep that in mind too
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

If a particular pimple is huge, they often inject it with a steroid to reduce inflammation before Accutane to reduce the possibility of scarring.

I had cystic acne and Accutane was the only thing that worked. I went through one 4-month regimen of daily Accutane. About 2 years later I took it once weekly as maintenance.

It's not especially fun to take (peely, dry skin/lips) but it works so well! It was totally worth it.
    Things fall apart. It's scientific.

Silver Member

I saw this thread and just had to mention drinking rooibos tea. I've read a lot about how if it's drank regularly (and I mean at least 3 cups a day) along with any external treatments it facilitates the treatment. I've also read that it helps to have a steam with the tea as well. I've not got personal experience with acne but I did recommend it to a friend of mine who said that she did see an improvement in her skin, although I don't think she had cystic acne, although she did describe it as severe. My mum swears by it, she grew up in ZA and drank it more when she was older and said that her terrible skin cleared up. There are some studies out there, but full access to the whole article is usually scarce.

I've never had problem skin because i was always on top of skincare from early puberty and avoided make up and was on oral medication called doxycycline (I can't remember the exact spelling) as soon as any zits started appearing, because the doctor said it would prevent scarring if it ever got that bad, but I have had one of those zits that don't come to the surface and just grow. I had it on my cheek, under my eye and it swelled half my face up. My advice is DO NOT TOUCH IT. The more you try and get rid of it by hand, the worse it gets. It ended up leaving what I thought was deep scarring under my eye, and it was red and swollen for quite awhile, but then I started applying bio oil to the scar twice a day and in about a month the reddish/purple mark was gone, and in 2 months, nothing. I swear by Bio Oil and highly recommend it for scarring.

Witch hazel is good for drying out zits instead of trying to get rid of them yourself, and I use it every few days just as cleanser. Amazing stuff.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

My fight against cystic acne

I'm gonna buy that shit, I'll try anything, I have 5 growing right now and i'm hideaou; i look like Quasimodo

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    My fight against cystic acne

I'm gonna buy that shit, I'll try anything, I have 5 growing right now and i'm hideaou; i look like Quasimodo
    Alice. Dermatologist. Now. You are wasting money if you are not getting the right stuff.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i know its not the end of the world its just painful as all hell and usually leaves these ugly red scars that fade w/ time but are still marks of my nasty past

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I use a dab of tea tree oil applied with a cottonbud. I hate the smell but it does work. Unfortunately I wasn't able to use it on my most recent outbreak as it was just under my eye and I've just had to spend nearly a week walking around looking like I'd been punched in the eye. I've still got a nasty purple blood blistery mark there but at least I can now tone it down a little with makeup.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Don't forget to wash your makeup brushes as well. I also bought a whole stack of inexpensive washcloths to use only to dry my face, use them once or twice then launder in very hot water. The dermatologist will be your new best friend, find a good one and it's life changing.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I listen to Duke and the Dr every day on the radio. Last week they were talking about cystic acne. And its all diet related. www.dukeandthedr.com. you can do a search. They recommend a supplement and diet change.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

that may or may not be so, for some and not others, but I know mine is hormonal (it comes during that time of the month) - my mom has it too. its not topical either, its below the skin deep and painful. I used to get nasty ugly white heads too. but either way thanks for the link, I will definitely read it regardless!

I dont know anything about it, just thought it might help someone. Theres alot of other great info on the site. They are hubby and wife. She the Doc and hes the naturalist. They are a hoot to listen to. Sorry you have to deal with that!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

^ OH thank you no, any info is great imo wish I could go all natural food wise but its just not in my cards right now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information