Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chanel No. 5 most iconic perfume

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I have a lifelong love affair with Chanel No.19. I never get bored with it and it suits me. I try other perfumes but none of them come close.
    I came here to say pretty much this verbatim. LOVE Chanel No. 19. Chanel No.5 smells sickly sweet on me, and I avoid it.

However, Opium is my favorite fall/winter perfume and First by Van Cleef and Arpels is my all time favorite spring/summer perfume, with Chanel 19 every few days to mix it up.

My mother's favorite perfume was "Joy" and while it was great on her, it was ASS on me.
    Look, sweetheart, I can drink you under any goddamn table you want, so don't worry about me.-"Martha", Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    Chanel is an old lady perfume. Yack!

I sometimes wear Chanel n19...
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    I came here to say pretty much this verbatim. LOVE Chanel No. 19. Chanel No.5 smells sickly sweet on me, and I avoid it.

However, Opium is my favorite fall/winter perfume and First by Van Cleef and Arpels is my all time favorite spring/summer perfume, with Chanel 19 every few days to mix it up.

My mother's favorite perfume was "Joy" and while it was great on her, it was ASS on me.

I love Joy. Funny, I would wear First in winter only (my mother gave it to me as a present, but I ended up giving it back to her... too old-lady for me...)
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post

Aww, that brings back memories of my mother. She ALWAYS wore Joy and it smelled wonderful on her, but way too sweet on me.

A*O

Apart from No.19 I also like Madame Rochas but don't often see it in the shops these days. Discontinued?

No.5 is so popular due to the massive advertising campaigns using big stars and the Marilyn Monroe connection "what do you wear in bed Miss Monroe" "Chanel No.5" which some say is apocryphal.

Sorry, but Opium (and worse, the aptly named Poison) are way too heavy and clingy for everyday use, winter or summer. I had a co-worked who I swear bathed in the stuff and you could smell her before she entered the building. Her workspace was a No Go area without breathing apparatus.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I hate strong perfumes. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates Chanel No. 5. I thought there was something wrong with me.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

^ no there isn't anything wrong with you. Chanel #5 stinks bad!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I still get sentimental whenever I get a whiff of L'Air du Temps or Joy. I don't wear either, but they always remind me of my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by maribou View Post
    I still get sentimental whenever I get a whiff of L'Air du Temps or Joy. I don't wear either, but they always remind me of my mother.
    i get the same way about l'air du temps. i don't wear it anymore but it was my first 'real' perfume, given to me by my grandmother when i was about 8.
    lauren by ralph lauren also takes me back to my childhood. my mother wore it for years when i was little, and sometimes when she and my father were out i would go and sniff her pillow because it always smelled of that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

No.5 is probably the only scent my mother has ever worn. She get nauseous like I do and can't even have strong flowers in the house. I bought her the cream/lotion one year and she would use only a drop of it. She probably still has it and I gave it to her years ago.

No.5 had THE most sylish bottle.....shame it stinks of moth balls.

It's amazing how body chemistry affects everything to do with fragrances. My mother has worn Yves St. Laurent Opium for years and it smells heavenly on her - warm, spicy, sophisticated and just pretty. On me it smells like eau de barf and makes me want to scratch my skin off my body.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^Same here with Clinique Happy. It smells divine on my sister and rather like a disinfectant on me.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    No.5 had THE most sylish bottle.....shame it stinks of moth balls.
    HA! Mothballs - that's exactly what it smells like!

My sister wears Diorissimo and it's gorgeous on her. On me? Ughhhh.

All these childhood memories of our mothers wearing certain perfumes! Mine wore Arpege and Joy and a little later she wore Fidji or Rive Gauche. I always remember the lingering smell after she left the house to go do a dinner dance or whatever - God, whatever happened to dinner dances.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Rive Gauche! Oh the memories of our lovely, lovely oh so sophisticated neighbor when I was a child. I adored her outfits, her lipstick, her heels. She did dinner dances quite often...she once let me daub on a little of her Rive Gauch and I thought I was in heaven.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information