Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancer and cosmetics

Hit By Ban Bus!

hmmmm, there was a news item a while back stating that Tom's of Maine had been sold to a huge conglomerate. OK, did a search.. it's Colgate:

Colgate buying control of Tom's of Maine for $100 million - Boston.com

One blogger is stating that Tom's not so much SOLD OUT as Colgate BOUGHT IN. Makes sense to me. He and his family had created a huge niche.

Silver Member

^^^
    I think Colgate did. Not sure.
    I switched all my beauty products, soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, face wash, astringent and so on to natural ingredients. My motto is if I can't pronounce it, I don't use it. They all work the same as what I used to use before. I wrote an article concerning this a couple of years ago, and it made me switch. Especially when you start finding out that astringent has the same ingredient that they use in radiator coolant.

According to ToM's website they did go through with the merger. Tom and Kate (the cofounders) maintained minority ownership and are still the CEO and Vice President of the company. It's been deemed a partnership and ToM is an independently run division of Colgate.

But here is the standard of ingredients:
    Our Standards for Natural

• Sourced in nature
    • Simple and understandable ingredients
    • Free of artificial preservatives, colors, sweeteners, flavors, fragrances, and other additives
    • Free of animal ingredients
    • Made of high-quality ingredients
    • Subject to limited processing
    • Purposeful in the system of ingredients
    • Promote organically grown ingredients wherever possible and practical
    NOTE: No animal testing or animal products! I urge people who care to look at their website. They actually care.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    According to ToM's website they did go through with the merger. Tom and Kate (the cofounders) maintained minority ownership and are still the CEO and Vice President of the company. It's been deemed a partnership and ToM is an independently run division of Colgate.
    All of our products are made with the highest quality natural ingredients. Our products are safe and effective thanks to our advanced non-animal testing methods and reliance on ingredients based on plants and herbs. For example, we use hops in our deodorant to control odor, pure flavor oils in our oral care products, and a mixture of rosemary and Vitamin C as a natural preservative for our bar soap.
    Just as important as what we put in is what we leave out—artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, and animal products. For example, our toothpastes contain no saccharin, our mouthwashes no alcohol, and our soaps no EDTA.
    Our company has grown a lot since 1970! In 2006, we entered into a partnership with the Colgate-Palmolive Company (read Tom and Kate's letter explaining how and why this decision was made) and are now an independently run division of that company. But nothing else has changed. Tom and Kate remain CEO and vice president, and our approach remains simple and direct. We listen to what our customers want (and don't want) in their products, we learn how it can be done, and we respond with intelligent natural alternatives.

This no alcohol is very important for women-they have as I recall a 60% higher chance of oral cancer just from the alcool. Men much lower.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Tom's was the deodorant was the one I switched to, it's been fine.

On the breast cancer sites they seem to say that putting antiperspirants on right after shaving your armpits is the worst time, I guess it penetrates more. And of course that is the time everybody does it, after you shower and shave.

^ I've started using deodorant last in my morning routine. I'd read somewhere that it works better if you put it on when your skin is dry and a recommendation to wait at least 5 minutes after you get out of the shower. So, I'll shower, do hair/makeup, and then put the deodorant on.

^^That's when I put mine on, too.

I'm digging up this thread after having a bad reaction to a cheap lipliner manufactured who-knows-where with who-knows-what.

After talking to a friend, I learned how the FDA in the States doesn't regulate cosmetics with the same level of concern as, for example, food because makeup isn't "ingested." Technically, that's obviously not true: the lipliner was absorbed by my skin, and it certainly went into any breaks in my chapped lips. I saw the results.

Last year, one of the Midwestern states passed a law forbidding a certain level of lead in makeup (I could dig it up, but won't spend the energy unless requested) after catching on that exposure, apart from ingestion, could be problematic, to say the least. I was shocked that such a law needed to be passed.

Coupled with recent research on parabens that show up in biopsied breast tissue, there's enough in makeup to scare me, and I don't think this stuff is all Snopes-worthy BS (in fact, Snopes pointed out studies that do confirm harmful stuff in some cosmetics - snopes.com: Lead in Lipstick). I quote Twitchy below my post for the toxins list.

From what I can tell, MAC is the safest and the least cruel in testing (anyone want to dispute that?), so my plan is to hit the cosmetics counter for lipliner tomorrow. Am I obliged to tip the cosmetics person who helps me pick the right shade?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Pretty dangerous
    Some compounds in personal-care products are worth watching out for.
    Lead acetate: A known reproductive toxin banned in the European Union but found in some hair dyes and cleansers in North America.
    Formaldehyde: A known carcinogen found in some nail products.
    Toluene: A possible reproductive or developmental toxin found in some nail polishes.
    Petroleum distillates: Possible carcinogen prohibited in the EU, but found in some mascara, perfume and lipstick in North America.
    Ethyl acrylate: A possible carcinogen found in some mascara.
    Coal tar: A known carcinogen found in dandruff shampoos, anti-itch creams and hair dyes.
    Dibutyl phthalate: An endocrine disruptor and possible reproductive or developmental toxin found in some nail polish, perfume and hair spray.
    Sodium lauryl sulfate: A skin irritant prone to contamination by a probable carcinogen called 1,4-dioxane used in many soaps and shampoos for its foaming properties.
    Methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl paraben: Endocrine disruptors and possible breast carcinogens used as a preservative in cosmetics such as lotions and shampoos.
    -- Margaret Philp
    Source: Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, Environmental Working Group
    globeandmail.com: Cancer and cosmetics
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

My good friend (and hairdresser) just died a few weeks ago. She was convinced she got breast cancer from years of working in the salons, all the chemicals from hair products, dyes, etc. She only lasted a year. I have switched to Kiss my Face shampoos and conditioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    My good friend (and hairdresser) just died a few weeks ago. She was convinced she got breast cancer from years of working in the salons, all the chemicals from hair products, dyes, etc. She only lasted a year. I have switched to Kiss my Face shampoos and conditioners.
    I'm so sorry to hear about this loss.

I'll have to go a-Googling, but I recall a study showing that hairdressers have almost 5x the rate of certain cancers. The toxicity of the level of some of those chemicals is amazing, and a fair number are known to be carcinogens. I wonder if certain protocols would make a difference in using masks and gloves more.

I think for me the lips in particular are critical because they chap and split open bloody so often that whatever is on my lips essentially goes right to the bloodstream. I also think my chapped lips are partially due to constantly being irritated by the range of chemicals in the makeup.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

i use ToM's deodorant too!
    i think im gonna need to try that toothpaste. sounds amazing.

With some vigilance, you can find personal care and cosmetic products that are natural or at the very least less toxic.

This website will help you make smarter choices:

Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Reviews

^Thanks, qwerty! I didn't realize Philosophy lip liners scored so high, one point better than MAC.

I just came from the MAC counter for 2 lip liners (wisdom of going to the mall on the Sunday before the holidays on a scale of 1 to 10: -2). Oddly the rep who helped me got her kidney transplant in January and is on immunosuppressives like me. We both had the same concerns about makeup.

I'm always looking though for better and better things.

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear about this loss.

I'll have to go a-Googling, but I recall a study showing that hairdressers have almost 5x the rate of certain cancers. The toxicity of the level of some of those chemicals is amazing, and a fair number are known to be carcinogens. I wonder if certain protocols would make a difference in using masks and gloves more.

I think for me the lips in particular are critical because they chap and split open bloody so often that whatever is on my lips essentially goes right to the bloodstream. I also think my chapped lips are partially due to constantly being irritated by the range of chemicals in the makeup.
    Thank you. She was one of those people that just loved everything about life too. So sad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information