Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Box color?

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    ^^What color is your hair, crumpet? I'm interested in trying this ION color.
    Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post

And how do yall know what # developer to get? My hair is naturally very dark brown, but I like to lighten a couple shades. Can someone suggest something? I don't want to end up with orange or maroon hair, both of which I've done to myself at home before.
    Okay. My hair is a light blonde (give or take some lowlights thrown in) but my natural color is, I believe, a med brown with reddish over/undertones. I honestly have not seen my virgin hair since age 12 and roots look deceptively dark next to the blonde hair. if your hair is as dark as you say, get the 40 vol developer if you want any blonde shade, and pick a blonde shade with cool undertones (ash blonde shades). These cool tones will help counter the red that gets uncovered when dark hair is lightened.

If you are going to stay in the brown family, use a 30 vol developer, but stick with cool shades like Ash browns unless you want red highlights to come out. The red could be very pretty, but you need the strength of the 30 vol if you are lifting dark hair. 20 vol peroxide will not accomplish this and your hair will turn orangey. No matter what, if lightening dark hair use a minimum 30 vol developer and use a 40 vol if going more than 3 shades lighter. It is also helpful to buy a little sample tube of Red Corrector (they sell it at Sally's). When you mix your color and developer in the bottle just add 15 drops of the color corrector and shake/blend thoroughly. This will counter any tendency towards brasiness. Clairol Shimmer Lights is an excellent shampoo to counter brasiness and Sally's sells the generic. You can use it weekly.

What I do : use Medium Blonde color (Ion) with 2.5oz developer (Ion's is the best and most gentle, imo) using 30 vol or 40 vol.....40 vol seems to lighten faster.... Apply to roots and sit for 40 minutes. If I want more lightness, once hair is dried I will mix a small amount of powdered hair blech with 40 oz developer mixed in a bowl and painted on freehand with a mascara wand brush (also sold at Sally's). Most of the time the lighter blonde stays in just fine since i'm only putting the Medium Blonde base on the roots. My lighter points are Light Blonde to Very Light Blonde. I like to have a blend of shades.

Here is a link to their shades/website: ion Color Brilliance™ - Permanent Hair Color ShadesThey have some really pretty shades, but the developer is what has impressed me most. The website gives all kinds of instruction.

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post

If you are going to stay in the brown family, use a 30 vol developer, but stick with cool shades like Ash browns unless you want red highlights to come out. The red could be very pretty, but you need the strength of the 30 vol if you are lifting dark hair. 20 vol peroxide will not accomplish this and your hair will turn orangey. No matter what, if lightening dark hair use a minimum 30 vol developer and use a 40 vol if going more than 3 shades lighter. It is also helpful to buy a little sample tube of Red Corrector (they sell it at Sally's). When you mix your color and developer in the bottle just add 15 drops of the color corrector and shake/blend thoroughly. This will counter any tendency towards brasiness. Clairol Shimmer Lights is an excellent shampoo to counter brasiness and Sally's sells the generic. You can use it weekly.

Here is a link to their shades/website: ion Color Brilliance™ - Permanent Hair Color ShadesThey have some really pretty shades, but the developer is what has impressed me most. The website gives all kinds of instruction.

Good Luck!!
    Thanks!! I'm going to stay with my natural Brown color as much as possible!! Just colored my hair last week, so how long should one wait. 5-6 weeks before switching over to healthier coloring like Ion?

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

^^^^Meh. Since you didn't do much lightening you don't need to wait that long. What you did did not involve the use of a high developer that pulled pigment out of your hair to an extreme that would be damaging. Just deep condition and wait a week and you would be good to go.

L'oreal is always the best!

Just once (while I'm purchasing my box color) I'd like a male cashier to say to me "Slide your box up here and let's get this thing done."
    Proud Mama....now where's my glass of wine?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Thank you, crumpet! Now I have to get the nerve to do it!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I bought some Clairol yesterday, because I'm disgusted with L'Oreal. They changed their formula on my colors (I mix them) to Gray Coverage which totally does not work and even though the company has negative customer feedback about it, they still keep altering the colors to Gray Coverage.

So we'll see how the Clairol does. And I bought some Clairol Developer just in case, to make sure that there isn't some secret ingredient needed to make the Clairol do what it's supposed to do, lol.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Update:

Got the Clairol on my hair right now - my scalp is itching

It smells fantastic - but it's awfully thick. I don't think I'll use a tall bottle with a nozzle next time. Just a glass dish.

I sure hope this damn stuff covers the grey. BAH L'Oreal and your "Gray Coverage" garbage!!

What is the easiest way to just cover your roots on your own?

Can I just use a comb on my own? Any recommendations because I do this like every 2-3 weeks, and covering the whole head is damaging my hair.

The hair color you can purchase at Whole Foods also has great reviews on Makeup Alley. I don't color my hair at home, so I can't vouch for it. I am lucky enough to only need highlights once or twice a year.

The Loving Care 79 is on right now. Will let you know. Just taking out the gray, no color change.

Surfing GR while coloring my hair! Maybe that's a new GR slogan...

Looking good. Very easy. If I like the way it looks after one week I'll wait and step up to Clairol Natural Instincts Nutmeg 28 or Roasted Chestnut 28b- a demi permanent, washes out in 28 shampoos. I also put globs of conditioner on and left it on for 10 minutes. This is all new to me.

Last edited by Chalet; December 21st, 2007 at 06:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information