Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate hair length

French women rarely die their hair,they cut it shorter as they age or wear it in a loose signon ,low in the nape of the neck.
    Long skirts,little wool sweaters,long shawls.ballerina shoes in bold colours,long ethinc earings,so classy..
    The ones with really short silvery hair go for the classic or sporty look,all star red shoes,skinny jeans and sweaters..
    I am in need of a make over asap,but i ll keep the grey off,no matter what...
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    The sad part, IMO is that they could wear the hair up and look quite elegant. Mother always says if you still have the same hairdo at 40 you had at 18-look out! Nothing is worse than the "aging Alice in Wonderland"look!
    I agree that updo's look lovely on older ladies. Young ones too.

I don't choose long hair b/c I think it makes me look younger. I just like it and don't give a rat's ass what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by Herstory View Post
    When I see women with long hair (past their shoulders) and they are in their 40's or 50's I don't think it flatters them at all. There is nothing better than aging "gracefullly" and looking classy instead of trendy.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some people simply do not like short hair.

I view long hair as classic and elegant, short hair is what's trendy IMO.

Silver Member

Unless you have great hair, when you get older long hair just looks...OLD.
    It all depends on the condition, etc, of your hair.

But IMO a good 80% of the population does NOT have good hair. Oh god I hate seeing these Pentecostal women with their hair and as it progressess down their back it looks rattier, and rattier. If it was just shoulder length and layered...but they all have bangs hmmm.

or this 70 year old lady with the long died hair...ugh...
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

^^^ You've got a point. If someone wants to keep their long hair healthy, they can't leave it down all the time.

I agree that it looks nasty to have long hair that is not well taken care of. Maybe a lot of the women who don't cut for religious reasons really have no idea how to care for their hair-- but they're forced to grow it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    French women rarely die their hair,they cut it shorter as they age or wear it in a loose chignon ,low in the nape of the neck.
    Long skirts,little wool sweaters,long shawls.ballerina shoes in bold colours,long ethinc earings, so classy..
    The ones with really short silvery hair go for the classic or sporty look,all star red shoes,skinny jeans and sweaters..
    I am in need of a make over asap,but i'll keep the grey off,no matter what...
    I LOVE your picture tho! Thank you for the compliment re: my hair! If you get sick of dying it, or don't have much grey - have you tried these shampoos that give a colour? I've used Nicky Clarke's colour therapy "sweet like chocolate" & it smells heavenly! It's good in that it tints hair as it goes, so the first bits of grey I got where blended in. I've given it to my mum now.... she doesn't dye hers so she thought that she'd give it a try.

I agree that a lot of French women look very chic! My sister has been living in Paris for... nearly 20 years now & very quickly morphed into the "French chic" look, but I'll never forget my Dad complimenting me on my style, comparing me to my sister (favourably) & being very proud of me. He's a hard man to please too!
    Free Charmed.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I now have my hair just past shoulder length, layered and kind of messy, bed-roomy. It looks healthy and it's still long enough to put up but not so long as to look too young. It's hard getting older and not really feeling like you want to look like your mom or something. I'm slowly developing my cool mature look, but it's not easy. I still want to buy trendy things at times but have to remind myself that I'm not 25 anymore.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I now have my hair just past shoulder length, layered and kind of messy, bed-roomy. It looks healthy and it's still long enough to put up but not so long as to look too young. It's hard getting older and not really feeling like you want to look like your mom or something. I'm slowly developing my cool mature look, but it's not easy. I still want to buy trendy things at times but have to remind myself that I'm not 25 anymore.
    Wow! What are you doing in my head?? That was scary! But, yes! exactly!
    Free Charmed.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^I'm sorry...I jumped in there by accident and will leave immediately. It's hard trying to rethink how you attire yourself, etc., isn't it?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    ^^I'm sorry...I jumped in there by accident and will leave immediately. It's hard trying to rethink how you attire yourself, etc., isn't it?
    especially when one's brain is invaded by someone*.... LOL! Yes, it is. I went from working in a (OMG - if I say this it's just the truth.... its not meant as immodest....) high powered & responsible job (& very stressful!) to .... well.... nothing..... well, other than talking to you guys, too much! So instead of wearing suits to meeting in the capital & smart stuff to work, I tend to wear yoga pants from Target (my fave shop! Have I mentioned that before? LOL) or just recently, jeans... so my style models are def more Denise Richards than ScarJo....

* BTW - did you notice lots of vacant space in there???
    Free Charmed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

i'm 36 and i'm never cutting my hair off again. i'm gonna twirl it up with braids when it's really long and i'm old, then let it down to scare the neighbourhood children. i am hoping to become 'witch' that existed on the block when we were kids.

Silver Member

I agree with the length depends on the health of your hair. I have seen woman who hold on to their over processed, dried, gonna set on fire hair just cause' it's long. I am in my 30's and have long hair past my bra strap. It is healthy, shiny and thick as horse hair. I will probably wear it long for awhile. I don't think it has anything to do with age, for me at least it is about boredom. When I get tired of it, off it will go.

That's a dumb issue.
    As long as you're clean and sober and sophisticated, you can also stay with dark gothic nails and be very respectable.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Bronze Member

Question Hair Problem

My hair fair fall continously from two month. My head is almost bald form back side. I am in very problem. Give me some suggestion.

i think in some cases, as women age, they look better with a more sophisticated cut, but not necessarily shorter. The most important part of a cut is that it flatters your face, and that it looks polished and put together. Some women are just lazy and dont style their hair, and it can make women, especially with longer hair look sloppy. Shorter hair is easier to style and maintain, but i personally dont think most people can pull off short hair. I'm 24 so im still loving long hair, and i dont plan on changing mine anytime soon.

I personally prefer shorter hair (shoulder length or shorter) for middle aged to older women, but I think that its just a matter of your personal taste and hygiene. As long as it's well taken care of, long hair can look beautiful on an older woman.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information