Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate hair length

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I need inspiration. I've made an emergency appointment with my hairdresser but still not sure what I want. He's great with suggestions but I always want to come in with a few ideas to guide him in teh direction I want to go. Too bad I don't know what that direction is.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Reptillycus View Post
    My husband's mother, my Mom too now, is 98 and she has long white hair that is always braided, in various ways. Her hair is thin, but it is beautiful. I see pictures of her in her house at various stages of her life, and some are not so complimentary, her hair is steel gray in some, making her look hard, thinner in others, but it is always her in the photographs.
    Don't know what I am trying to say, I think I am tired and I love my Mother-in-Law.
    I loved this story. I want my hair to be like your mother-in-law as I age. I've always been drawn to that kind of personality and aesthetic. My hair is down to my butt now. In fact, it's been around this length for over a decade. I'm a professional into my 30s. As long as it's neat and out of the way, it works. I love it. I have my moments of frustration and have considered chopping it to my mid-back. I might do it for something different.

I'm a fan of Demi's hair at this long length. I would be a fan of Gwyneth Paltrow's long hair, but her ends look horrible and stringy.

ETA: Also a fan of Jane Seymour's long hair and the ways I've seen her pull it up and back.
    Last edited by ariesallover; April 26th, 2007 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Added a thought. :)

^^^ I'm with you, ariesallover! I plan to be one of those old ladies with a long white braid one day.

I'll bet your hair is gorgeous!

Oh, and to add to your list of celebs w/ beautiful long hair: Monica Belluci

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    ^^^ I'm with you, ariesallover! I plan to be one of those old ladies with a long white braid one day.
    I always thought I was going to be one of those too, until I realized that my hair is thin, baby-fine and flyway to ever look good in that style. That only looks good with thick hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I always thought I was going to be one of those too, until I realized that my hair is thin, baby-fine and flyway to ever look good in that style. That only looks good with thick hair!
    Yeah, Mira! "just below collarbone length" hair sounded great!
    Went to my hairdresser, explained what I wanted (my hair was nearly waist length by then & don't forget I'm quite tall....) so she started to cut it (dry I might add - she was having lots of fun!) & it just started to bounce up! She started to laugh because it was just getting thicker & thicker as she did it!

It was supposed to be a nice "rachel-type" cut..... yeah... right..... but at least its more manageble now, even if it goes curly!!! (& wtf is THAT all about? I've had poker-straigh hair ALL my life!!!) That was 2 weeks ago & I'm still learning how to do stuff with it, but I think it looks better as I'm more inclinded to play with it & do stuff.
    She coloured it too for me, which I'm really pleased about!
    Free Charmed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Novice you are ruining the barefoot and pregnant image... Sounds good. What color is it now? BTW, I decided to trim my hair dry a couple weeks ago and I quite like the way it dries now by just blow drying while brushing. No BLOWOUTS for this tart!

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Novice you are ruining the barefoot and pregnant image... Sounds good. What color is it now? BTW, I decided to trim my hair dry a couple weeks ago and I quite like the way it dries now by just blow drying while brushing. No BLOWOUTS for this tart!
    LOL! I'm neither! We have ceramic tile floors & this far north even in summer they're cold!!! It's still nearly black but she put "toffee" & "mocha" through it in 2 sets of foils (i.e. did it once then did it again with another colour) then as I have a natural blond streak at the front (by my darned corn-flick!) & on the nape of my neck, she put a couple of bits of blond through it too. I said it was too "yellow" blond & it needed to be more "ash" but she told me to shut up & let her do her job!!!! Then she said that ash would be too cold on my hair. I've just taken a photo & it seems to be very dark with very fine lines of different shades of dark red through it....
    It seems to have calmed down the redness that I'm so selfconcious of in my face

Oh no! now it looks like I'm going bald..... I'm not it's just the camera angle (along with my tatty pots & re-cycling box LOL!
    Free Charmed.

I believe for every woman there is the Perfect Haircut. This can take years to find and you'd better have nerves of steel. I finally found mine-at last! It is my trademark hair & I love it. Don't be afraid to experiment & listen to your hairdresser-or change stylists. Mine is a bob,chin length. I have thick but fine hair. Shiny & perfect! I am sorry to say, when my hairdresser gets finished (cut,wee bit of color) we both look at it in the mirror and gloat! We do. We fairly giggle with delight. We feel sorry for people with no good stylist. She has agreed ,if ever she is dying to call 911 and leave my hair formula on tape. I can't make it look like she does the same WAY she does, so I blow dry while fluffing it up to say-90% dry. Then I put in large velcro rollers for a few minutes, brush it out & use a tiny bit of spray to make sure fly aways are gone. Same result! I swear, it is in the cut!
    She always says my hair grows as if I am on pre-natal vitamins, so slow growers: there is your hint!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I believe for every woman there is the Perfect Haircut. This can take years to find and you'd better have nerves of steel. I finally found mine-at last! It is my trademark hair & I love it. Don't be afraid to expeiriment & listen to your hairdresser-or change stylists. Mine is a bob,chin length. I have thick but fine hair. Shiny & perfect! I am sorry to say, when my hairdresser gets finished (cut,wee bit of color) we both look at it in the mirror and gloat! We do. We fairly giggle with delight. We feel sorry for people with no good stylist. She has agreed ,if ever she is dying to call 911 and leave my hair formula on tape. I can't make it look like she does the same WAY she does, so I
    blow dry while fluffing it up to say-90% dry. Then I put in large velcro rollers for a few minutes, brush it out & use a tiny bit of spray to make sure fly aways are gone. Same result! I swear, it is in the cut!
    She always says my hair grows as if I am on pre-natal vitamins, so slow growers: there is your hint!
    Fab! I love the bit where you gloat!!! We did that... lots!!! Pre-natal vitamins & cod-liver oil! (just don't burp!!!). How true is this? I eat a balanced diet (even with my diet nightmare life!) and have thick health hair. Even when it's long my hairdresser is astounded (yes, astounded!) that it's in such great condition. Also - not hot stuff! Limited hair-dryer-drying & no straightening/curling irons!
    Free Charmed.

I have to blow dry-but use medium setting, blow UP from underneath hair & not too close.
    And your hair is so great looking! love the color and the shine!
    Last edited by McJag; May 1st, 2007 at 08:05 AM.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I have to blow dry-but use medium setting, blow UP from underneath hair & not too close.
    that'll help plus some heat protection lotion? maybe?
    Actually I meant that I have friends that wash & blow-dry & then straighten their hair every day & then straighten it again before they go out at night.... madness!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I've just taken a photo & it seems to be very dark with very fine lines of different shades of dark red through it....
    It seems to have calmed down the redness that I'm so selfconcious of in my face

Novice, your hair is so shiny and thick, and the color is beautiful!!

NOVICE,you have very beautiful hair,love the colour and so thick and shiny and healthy..look after it,they,ll last you a life time.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I'm 38 and my hair sits on my shoulders; I take care of it so I think it looks healthy and nice. I personally wouldn't go much longer than this. When I see women with long hair (past their shoulders) and they are in their 40's or 50's I don't think it flatters them at all. There is nothing better than aging "gracefullly" and looking classy instead of trendy.

Quote Originally Posted by Herstory View Post
    When I see women with long hair (past their shoulders) and they are in their 40's or 50's I don't think it flatters them at all. There is nothing better than aging "gracefullly" and looking classy instead of trendy.
    The sad part, IMO is that they could wear the hair up and look quite elegant. Mother always says if you still have the same hairdo at 40 you had at 18-look out! Nothing is worse than the "aging Alice in Wonderland"look!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information