Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate hair length

Hit By Ban Bus!

chalet, I like those styles. I think hair has to be thick though, to pull it off. I have thick hair but it's baby fine and flyaway. I'd love to cut my hair in the shorter style, but I'd have to constantly play with it to get it to stop falling flat.

I had thick wavy long hair until my mid-forties, then it just got thinner and thinner, and looked very bad. I cut it off (actually a trusted girlfriend cut it off) and I cried. I didn't even want to come home after I left her house. Why the crying, who knows...Now it's always short, it's just too thin to look good being long anymore. This may be one reason why women cut off their hair.
    My husband's mother, my Mom too now, is 98 and she has long white hair that is always braided, in various ways. Her hair is thin, but it is beautiful. I see pictures of her in her house at various stages of her life, and some are not so complimentary, her hair is steel gray in some, making her look hard, thinner in others, but it is always her in the photographs.
    Don't know what I am trying to say, I think I am tired and I love my Mother-in-Law. And I hate my Hair...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

I noticed an article on msn.com today about women's hair thinning as they age. Never really paid attention to this phenomenon before but it really may be a common reason for cutting hair shorter.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I've thought about this a lot since my hair has always been thin. I've occasionally seen a woman with a bald patch and it has always freaked me out a little thinking that could be me some day. But of course I am so vain I would buy a wig.

A*O

Long hair (ie below shoulder length) can be VERY ageing, especially if it's in poor condition or thin and ratty. I love a classy, elegant up-do in a 'mature' woman but generally speaking I don't think it's a good idea after about 40 UNLESS it's in sensational condition and even then it can look a bit desperate.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by xoxo View Post
    i have been reading the responses with great interest...i think i am going to leave mine alone..it's long and dark and thick and wavy and i like it. i am 32, maybe i'm not the correct age to have it but i'm going to keep it anyways lol.
    Your hair sounds just like mine, xoxo, and I'm also in my 30's. So far it's tailbone length, and I don't plan on cutting any time soon.

Thick, wavy hair tends to fluff out too much if there isn't enough length to weigh it down.
    Plus some people just look better with long hair b/c of their facial features.

As others have said, if the hair is healthy and well taken care of there is no age limit. Just keep the ends nice and enjoy!

I just told mr.shedevil I wanted to cut my hair and he went apeshit and told me he would shave his head. I don't know what his deal is about my hair
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Hit By Ban Bus!

Would he look good that way? Or tolerable? If you want to do it, just do it. He'll deal.

no he had his head shaved when we met it is the ugliest thing in the world lmao (yet i still went out with him lol) that was a deal we made when we first started dating he would grow hair if i didn't cut mine but it looks like shit to me so i'm trying to talk him into being ok about it but he's stubborn about this which is odd for him he is usually whatever you think kinda guy but the hair thing he turns into a friggin stubborn mule lmao
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Hit By Ban Bus!

I really think if you did what I described he'll be ok. Most people didn't even notice when I cut 3-4 inches with a blunt trim. They just said it looked nice.

My hair is shoulder length but with lots of layers, it's very thick and wavy and has a lot of body. So for me this length is good; I hate to have my hair really short cause I am pear shaped and somehow with it super short it makes this body type look like a bowling pin!

lookin 4 Firecrotch Lohan as i reload my gun!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Long hair (ie below shoulder length) can be VERY ageing, especially if it's in poor condition or thin and ratty. I love a classy, elegant up-do in a 'mature' woman but generally speaking I don't think it's a good idea after about 40 UNLESS it's in sensational condition and even then it can look a bit desperate.
    i have to agree with you here....i'm 31 but i have long dark blonde hair which is my natural color and everyone i know says its perfect for my face shape and makes me look younger, but i've seen some people with really bad long hair and it can age them horribly, some are much younger than i am and that alone makes them look much older. i've seen some pretty bad long hair on older people, too tho
    "I was stoned. It seemed like a fun thing to do at the time. " -Jim Morrison

I think that it is okay to have long hair at an older age as long as it is well taken care of and looks nice. Some people may prefer a shorter hair do as they age because it is less maintenance. I have seen quite a few older women 60 and younger with lovely long hair. I have never seen a very elderly(70s/80's)with long hair though.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Hmmm...I was just htinking about all this because I'm now hitting 'that age' where long hair just starts to look a bit wrong. I'm considering cutting it to my shoulders but am afraid I'll suddenly morph into a suburban mom look. I need something that's still sassy and sexy but age appropriate. Ideas?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

I got that prob too^ buttmunch. Mine is just below my collarbone, it's stylish but not mom-ish. my mother's retirement village administrator has a really cute style, she's a few years younger, but I decided it looks good on her... wouldn't on me.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information