Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate hair length

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    If you get it cut, don't cry.
    Grim - just look at it like PMS - it's one of those mysteries!

My (ex) FIL had a comb over & we had a hate-hate relationship. One sunday lunch I stood behind him, unwound his combover & stuck it straight up. It looked like albert Einstien! There was SO much hairspray on it!!!!

My MIL was killing herself laughing (I thought she was actually going to pee!) & trying SO hard not to so he wouldn't know what I was doing.....

She'd been trying to get him to get rid of it for years. He had it cut the next week & the combover disappeared!!! He looked SO much better!!!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Mine's long and thick, but it has body and I can do pretty much anything with it. BUT....I have to have at least a little bit of layering in the front and at the ends for it to fall right and not feel too heavy. Lately it goes up since it's getting warmer and I can't have it in the way if I'm gonna be running around a hospital or clinic all day. I know for a fact that I would look like shit with short hair, but I would give anything if I could get away with it.

The big potential pain in the ass for me will come in a couple months when it gets a bit too long to manage and I'll be dying to chop off a few inches, since I'm attempting to grow it out to cut and donate. Hopefully I won't cave. I want to at least grow enough to where when I cut it I'll still have shoulder length or not much less.
    I have thick fine wavy hair too. My layers are not only in the front but also in the back . I can't remember what my hairdresser calls it but basically my hair looks long but its been thinned out from the chin down. So all the weight is gone. The layers aren't noticable, she cut them so they blend with my waves. It's like having the best of both worlds, volume from shorter hair but I still have the long hair look.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

It's just hair. Even if a cut is shitty it grows back.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think it's fine to keep your hair long as long as you have a stylish cut that suits you and your hair is healthy. and by long i mean maybe past your shoulders, the looooong princess hair looks dumb on anyone past their early 20s. the problem that lots of women seem to have is that once they get whites and have to colour their hair more often, that damages hair and they can't get it past a certain length without it looking dry and brittle so the only way to have healthy shiny hair is to keep it quite short.
    Both my husband's daughters have very long dark hair. Both could benefit from some styling, although their hair is quite nice. They definitely feel that it makes them stand out and more feminine. And yes, they are both spoiled princesses.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I've heard that bob length is most flattering on women.

Personally, I like short hair. It takes minimal time to style and you can actually do quite a bit with styling products.

My hair grows so slow (like 1 cm a month) though and I've only had it long like 2ice in my whole life so I'm determined righ now to grow it really long. My hair is very thick so I always need to get it layered but I'm broke and too lazy at the moment. I just put it up in a ponytail.

I'll worry about age-appropriateness when the time comes

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

My hair is bob length. I have very fine hair and the only thing that really works is a good blunt cut. I also look OK in a really short hairstyle, but that's too much maintenance for me -- i.e. having to get it cut every 4-6 weeks. I really don't do anything to my hair except wash and shape it with a brush.

This thread is making me want to cut my hair. But every time I get it cut shorter than usual, I can't wait to grow it back out again. And PB, that is just not fair that you can style your hair that easily. I have to do a LOT. My hair is wavy, but I can't leave it to its own devices because it looks unpolished. The waves are not consistent throughout. So I fight with it everyday, one way or another.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Elite Member

i have been reading the responses with great interest...i think i am going to leave mine alone..it's long and dark and thick and wavy and i like it. i am 32, maybe i'm not the correct age to have it but i'm going to keep it anyways lol

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    My (ex) FIL had a comb over & we had a hate-hate relationship. One sunday lunch I stood behind him, unwound his combover & stuck it straight up. It looked like albert Einstien! There was SO much hairspray on it!!!!

My MIL was killing herself laughing
    omg novice i'd be laughing a lot too..

Well, Lo, my hair doesn't look all that styled. It mostly just hangs there. But at least if it's bob length and hanging there, it looks reasonably OK. When I had it longer, I mostly wore it pulled back or up, and it never looked all that great. Plus, my hair is oily and fine, so I had to wash it constantly when it was longer so that it wouldn't look stringy. I also found it made me look older.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    This thread is making me want to cut my hair. But every time I get it cut shorter than usual, I can't wait to grow it back out again. And PB, that is just not fair that you can style your hair that easily. I have to do a LOT. My hair is wavy, but I can't leave it to its own devices because it looks unpolished. The waves are not consistent throughout. So I fight with it everyday, one way or another.
    My hair is like that. I have to put a frizz product in it and blow it out, then curl it or flat iron it to make it look presentable. if I don't, it's just wild woman hair. Ponytails are my friend.

Last year: and every other year of my life

End of last year: Wow! It looks like a shorter version of above!

As of two weeks ago: But to my shoulders

The old layers were driving me nuts. I always need to put it up in a ponytail or french twist when it gets hot. The bottom is cut into to lighten the bulk of a semi-blunt cut.

That Jaclyn Smith photo looks a lot like my hair right now.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah, mine looks like that for about 5 mins. after I style it damn flyaway hair

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    That Jaclyn Smith photo looks a lot like my hair right now.
    Is that hard to maintain I like that cut and I think with my fine and strait hair i might could pull it off
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I just remembered something for some reason.

The guy who did my hair for years is hilarious. He's not particularly crazy about kids, which I understand, and stopped doing kid hair a loooong time ago. He told me why: he would get impatient with the way they would squirm & fidget in the chair, so he got some kind of plastic things that looked like ears, & he put them in a ziplock baggie. He told this one kid that he should sit very, very still or he might accidentally cut his ear off, and then he whipped out the baggie. The kid burst into a huge wail & was inconsolable, & my friend never cut another kid's hair. I love this story

About the Jaclyn hair, my hair is thick with lots of body, and I'm an 80's girl (translation: I use lots of hairspray.) So no, for *me* it's not difficult to maintain.

Thread Information