Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate hair length

My hair is very short (about an inch and 1/2) and has been for many years...I have asked myself this same question as I have gotten older...is my hair ok like this or do I need to let it grow out? I think it suits me very well, but it can be kind of "harsh" and I am wondering if I want this look at 50...I am a good 12 years from that, but I do wonder...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

i think it's fine to keep your hair long as long as you have a stylish cut that suits you and your hair is healthy. and by long i mean maybe past your shoulders, the looooong princess hair looks dumb on anyone past their early 20s. the problem that lots of women seem to have is that once they get whites and have to colour their hair more often, that damages hair and they can't get it past a certain length without it looking dry and brittle so the only way to have healthy shiny hair is to keep it quite short.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member

I've had the whole gamut of hair lengths, but I've kept it very long for the past 9 years. I'm 26--not old at all. My hairdresser and I play around with the color and the cut quite a bit because it's just hair. If you don't like the cut, it will grow. Despite messing around with the color so much, my hair's in immaculate condition because I take care of it. It also helps that I'm pregnant, which makes my hair grow faster and stronger. Yes, many days I just pull it up into some kind of twist to keep my toddler from tangling her fingers in it, but I still manage to keep it styled.

Keeping it healthy and styled I think is the key to anyone's hair, more important than age. I've seen short hair on older woman that looks like it was styled with an eggbeater and it's just as bad as women who have hair so long they look like afghan hounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Saery View Post
    I've seen short hair on older woman that looks like it was styled with an eggbeater and it's just as bad as women who have hair so long they look like afghan hounds.

Well, you just described my hair! Seriously, it sticks up all over my head....
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    it's nice to have long princess hair like that when you're a teenager but after a while please cut it and get something a little more sophisticated. keep it really long if you want but add a few layers for volume and style.

my best friend, bless her heart, has fabulous, fabulous long blonde hair that's literally down to her ass. but no layers, no cut, nothing, it just hangs there, or else it's in a ponytail. her hair would actually stand out more and look better if she cut a few inches off and added a few layers but she's too scared because she's had that same hair since she was 12 and it's not that she loves it that much it's just that she's too scared to do anything new with it.

i think a lot of women with super long hair have that same attitude, it's like the long hair is some kind of trademark/sign of femininity and they feel like they'll lose something if they cut it or style it.
    I saw Crystal Gayle in one of those infomercials for compilations of old country songs, and she was about 45 in the pics. Looked great with all the makeup and such, but I wonder what she's doing now with her hair?

Your friend really should do what I described in the post to Shedevil. I did it way back when my hair was long like your friend's is. It's actually a relief instead of a nightmare. My daughter cut off her waist-length hair to just below the chin, when she was 21. I was really shocked, but I actually liked it, and still do. She often wears that little ponytail since she's so active physically. But it fixes up really cute when she needs it to.

Quote Originally Posted by COVERGERL View Post
    Looked Demi, over 40 and beautiful, plain straight hair!
    I was just thinking of her while reading the responses.

Long hair can be fab on older women. If it's healthy, clean and shiney I prefer women with long hair over short.

I was always under the impression short hair makes you look older, but these pictures show otherwise. BUT, I do think it's because their before hair looked bad. Take the last before picture. Fried. Put that same hair on someone like Demi and it will look like shit.

Wtf is with women who go on makeover shows and then start CRYING when their hair is being cut?

Even if it looks like absolute shit and has random animals living in it, the woman will invariably start crying her eyes out once the scissors get near her rats nest.

Can someone PLEASE shed some light on this?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Hair is SO associated with femininity and sexual appeal, and it's also good for hiding behind... having hair around your face helps with certain features... I never wore my hair back when my hair was really long.

What you're talking about Grimm is like body dysmorphia. Only this is probably hair dysmorphia or something. I used to want to whack off at least 6 inches of hair on these women who think their fuzzy little wisps hanging down to their butt are sexy. Seriously I've almost approached people, that's how bad it is sometimes. I guess I should put it in the pet peeves thread. Disgusting.

You know what pisses me off the absolute most about hair?

Guys with comb-overs.

I want to scream in their faces "YOU ARE NOT FOOLING ANYBODY. YOU ARE BALD. YOU LOOK LIKE A FUCKING REJECT."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Wtf is with women who go on makeover shows and then start CRYING when their hair is being cut?

Even if it looks like absolute shit and has random animals living in it, the woman will invariably start crying her eyes out once the scissors get near her rats nest.

Can someone PLEASE shed some light on this?
    Some people have hair that takes forever to grow. If I were on a make-over show I would refuse to cut my hair. It would take me years to grow it out. I think my hair grows an inch a year!

As for the long hair on older women, I think it absolutely depends on the style. But generally I think longer hair softens the face. So I'm not going to go for the short haircut the minute I turn forty. I have it a bit past my shoulders. My mother is of this school of thought. I've been telling her she should grow her hair out, at least chin length. But she thinks it's inappropriate on a woman her age. Crazy, I know.

Cutting off long hair is like someone stealing your blankie.

Gold Member

I think long hair is fine as long as you shape it. Long hair without any style to it is dreadful at any age. As long as you update it at least once a year, long hair can look good at any age. The 35 year old in the before picture looks like alot of my friends. They are convinced that they look young with their hair like that and all I see is triangle heads. I'm in my late 30s and my hair is 2/3 inches shorter than my bra strap with lots of layers between my chin and the bottem. I look best with long hair but it's important to me to be stylish and age appropriate at the same time.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    You know what pisses me off the absolute most about hair?

Guys with comb-overs.

I want to scream in their faces "YOU ARE NOT FOOLING ANYBODY. YOU ARE BALD. YOU LOOK LIKE A FUCKING REJECT."
    ITA. Bald looks way better and often hotter on guys with thinning hair.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    I think long hair is fine as long as you shape it. Long hair without any style to it is dreadful at any age. As long as you update it at least once a year, long hair can look good at any age. The 35 year old in the before picture looks like alot of my friends. They are convinced that they look young with their hair like that and all I see is triangle heads. I'm in my late 30s and my hair is 2/3 inches shorter than my bra strap with lots of layers between my chin and the bottem. I look best with long hair but it's important to me to be stylish and age appropriate at the same time.
    Mine's long and thick, but it has body and I can do pretty much anything with it. BUT....I have to have at least a little bit of layering in the front and at the ends for it to fall right and not feel too heavy. Lately it goes up since it's getting warmer and I can't have it in the way if I'm gonna be running around a hospital or clinic all day. I know for a fact that I would look like shit with short hair, but I would give anything if I could get away with it.

The big potential pain in the ass for me will come in a couple months when it gets a bit too long to manage and I'll be dying to chop off a few inches, since I'm attempting to grow it out to cut and donate. Hopefully I won't cave. I want to at least grow enough to where when I cut it I'll still have shoulder length or not much less.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

If you get it cut, don't cry.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information