Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate hair length

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    I have had every length of hair throughout my life. At forty my hair was waist length and had great highlights. I styled it daily, it took four sets of hot rollers to curl it and it was beautiful. I cut it because of the enormous time it took to style daily, the costs of having it cut/colored/conditioned and since then have worn my hair much like the 'afters' in those photos. Six months ago I started letting my hair grow out again because I missed my long hair. Surprise, surprise, I realized by how 'old' it was making me look that I'd finally arrived at that certain age when short and stylish is much better and it had nothing to do with hair thickness or condition. The longish shag they'd styled me with looked all wrong, like something that belonged on a twenty year old in a club, not the strong sophisticated professional woman look I'd been used to. My hair is back to shorter now and I love it more than ever.
    I always had short hair, people who know me now are always surprised. I'm ready to bite the bullet & have it cut as I always thought that I would have to in my mid-30s. I'm 40 in November and its still not got anything other than the odd grey & as it's quite straight & thick, my hairdresser is a "good cutter". I'm braced for her to finally advise me that it's time to get rid of most of the length.... but I'm on a career break so I'm milking it for all it's worth!
    I love your post tho Gator, and its made me feel so much braver and accepting, and I'm sure when the time comes I'll be looking forward to it!
    (My only stumbling block then wil be my mister, because he loves it & compliments me on it all the time)

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I know what you mean... going kicking and screaming into older age isn't such a great idea. Overall, I think I'm good with it.
    Actually Mira this is one occasion where I AM going to follow my Mum's example. She's kicking & screaming all the way! We go shopping together (she is the only person I will clothes shop for me with!) and as I'm loosing weight she's getting my cast off clothes. That said, I'm not 20, and have a fairly "classic" taste in clothes. I'll follow general trends, if they suit me (bootcut jeans, for example but not skinny ones), most of my clothes come from TK Maxx, Marks and Spencer and occassional H & M or Zara. For something special (or designer) I'll make it (maternal influence again! Bless her!). I don't buy work clothes over there, but my casual clothes come from Target when I visit LA. I found (esp this time) that their designer items (my jeans are mossimo) are well priced and classic & fit me better than my usual Gap jeans.
    Maybe not kicking & screaming, but there's no way you have to go meakly & quietly! Make a noise, I have a feeling that you have all your life, please don't change now!
    Last edited by Novice; March 13th, 2007 at 09:15 PM.

no no the one in the middle is the one that looks like a dirty hippy! no style, it just hangs, and she looks like she crawled out of a gutter.

Not aesthetically pleasing at all.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i'm 30 and have really long hair but it's looking really blah. the mister has told me not to cut my hair only thing he has ever been adament about lol. But I feel like it looks like shit. My hair is really fine and won't hold a curl for anything fine and strait and at the moment looking dead. I don't look good with short hair so any advice?
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Hit By Ban Bus!

You sound like me, shedevil. Perms are out of trend, so I'd say get a very good blunt cut and a curling iron. Lop it off to halfway through your back if it's really long. That way you won't feel scalped. I used to go into convulsions when someone trimmed my long hair "too short" - 3 inches was the max I could stand at any given time, and that was a stretch.

I'm talking the kind of blunt cut where it takes them 30 minutes to cut your hair. They bring down a section at a time and get it EXACT. Your hair looks great after that, and handles better. You can go without curling, or curl it for special occasions. Supercuts probably wouldn't be a good idea, unless you're going on a recommendation. I go into a good salon and get all anal and they oblige me. Most salons are familiar with and accustomed to longhair freaks.

I've thought about this a lot throughout my life, because I've always had long hair. When I was a girl, women in their 30's & 40's all seemed to have some form of helmet hair - bubble-y, teased, chin-length or shorter. Women in their 50's & up all had short permed roll & set do's. Then things changed, and women didn't seem to turn into matronly grannies somewhere in their 30's, and long hair wasn't so odd.

I'm 41, and my hair varies between a little past shoulder length to just above my shoulders. I always have a style - no middle-part all-one-length do for me, and my styles change. But still I fear the day when I will look ridiculous. Or will I know? Hell, I might look ridiculous NOW & just not know it.

Because it WILL happen, and I'll tell you how I know this. Susan Lucci. She's beautiful, tiny, and sexy. I've watched her daily for decades, & she's always had long hair & always pulled it off. But lately, I'm starting to look at her & see an aging women with a younger woman's hairstyle. It's distracting & unflattering. But if she gets a short permed roll & set do, I'll have to kill myself because there will be no hope for me.

What to do? I'm thinking I look pretty sassy, but.... ???

Meanwhile, my 45 year-old sister-in-law has the exact same hairstyle she had in 1980. Long, parted in the middle, and hot-rolled. It has never changed. Only now, it's salt & pepper, which makes it look really wiry.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Ah,Lobelia ,you hit the nail on the head.
    THat is it,you said it perfectly.What if i look ridiculous NOW?
    No matter what people tells you,some little bell is tolling a warning.
    And then you think,my friend tells me i look ok cause she loves me,so do my kids.
    And this other friend tells me i should change my style,it is too youngish for my age,but she is fat and unhappy and she probably would give her right arm to be able to dress like i do
    So,we go back and forth,but like i said,we are healthy and good.
    Maybe i ll have a hair cut tomorrow and dye it brown after all..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

You sound like me, shedevil. Perms are out of trend, so I'd say get a very good blunt cut and a curling iron. Lop it off to halfway through your back if it's really long. That way you won't feel scalped. I used to go into convulsions when someone trimmed my long hair "too short" - 3 inches was the max I could stand at any given time, and that was a stretch.

I'm talking the kind of blunt cut where it takes them 30 minutes to cut your hair. They bring down a section at a time and get it EXACT. Your hair looks great after that, and handles better. You can go without curling, or curl it for special occasions. Supercuts probably wouldn't be a good idea, unless you're going on a recommendation. I go into a good salon and get all anal and they oblige me. Most salons are familiar with and accustomed to longhair freaks.
    Thanks that sounds like a good idea I can keep it semi long but it would prolly look healthier and give it some volume. The mister will just have to deal with it i'm so tired of my hair and I feel like i'm looking washed out and all after having the baby so i may do some color too.

Just a thought - Vogue has reported on straight hair with some wave for autumn/winter, and if one's hair is long, the weight of it would pull a really soft perm so that it waves rather than curls, so just gives it some moevement?
    I'm with you SheDevil - my hair was waist length at 30, I had....at least 8 inches cut off (it went from being caught in my jeans waist band to bra-strap length). It needed it and I actually felt so much lighter without it. It was still long, but I'd got rid of all the dead bad hair. My mister is the same, but last night I threatened a Sinaed O'Conner... I was joking but he's coming around to realise that it it's cut so it flatters me (rather than my hair wearing me), he'll like it all the more! I wear mine pinned up most of the time at the moment because it needs a re-style & cut.
    Good Luck!

Looked Demi, over 40 and beautiful, plain straight hair!
    www.thefreebiedepot.com/
    http://literanista.blogspot.com/

Elite Member

maybe it's just totally individual..i'm turning 33 this summer and i have long hair and i like it and don't want to cut it..maybe i'll just leave it lol

i say leave it i would mine it just looks blah lol

My hair has a life of it's own, so I didn't get asked. I can only wear it long, everything else turns into an afro. It'll be that way when I'm fifty, too. So there's no point in worrying.

I cut try Britney's buzz cut.

Depends on the condition of the hair and the face. Not everybody can take long hair, not even when they're young. But I think on most women it tends to make them look a bit more witchy as they get older. I cannot say from a certain age on, because not everybody ages at the same speed.
    This morning I happened to see a program on BBC1 and I have no idea how old the particular woman was, but she had thin lips, deep lines next to her nose and mouth, over the shoulder clean but otherwise mousy brown straight hair with bangs and she really looked like a witch.

I never looked good in long hair, mostly because it was so thick and curly and made my head look even bigger and rounder than it already is, which is never a good thing when you're short (I'm 5'5"). So I've always worn it medium to medium short. I don't look good with too short hair, either, also because of the shape of my face.

Personally, to take some celeb examples, I think Goldie Hawn for the past five years or so has entered the stage where she should trim the length of her hair back a bit. Instead of looking girlish (which is what many women mistakenly think long hair does for them) she's beginning to look tired and unkempt.
    Demi Moore is not a good example, since she's had work done to her face.
    Farrah Fawcett only looks like she's desperately holding on to her prime, whereas Jaclyn Smith still looks good in long/medium long hair (but: she's also had subtle work done, Farrah not so subtle).
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

i agree with grimm, there's nothing worse than long, long hair that just hangs there. you have to do something with it past a certain age. anyone remember the long blond hair on the girls in those old timotei shampoo ads? it's nice to have long princess hair like that when you're a teenager but after a while please cut it and get something a little more sophisticated. keep it really long if you want but add a few layers for volume and style.
    my best friend, bless her heart, has fabulous, fabulous long blonde hair that's literally down to her ass. but no layers, no cut, nothing, it just hangs there, or else it's in a ponytail. her hair would actually stand out more and look better if she cut a few inches off and added a few layers but she's too scared because she's had that same hair since she was 12 and it's not that she loves it that much it's just that she's too scared to do anything new with it. i think a lot of women with super long hair have that same attitude, it's like the long hair is some kind of trademark/sign of femininity and they feel like they'll lose something if they cut it or style it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I hate when all the women I know, have hit 40 and chopped all their hair off. Is that like a secret hazing thing? I don't get it.

I know some people who are older with long hair, it only ages them more but really!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information