Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate hair length

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I have long hair and I'm not 37!

Are you not? Mira? Fooled me!!!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I have had every length of hair throughout my life. At forty my hair was waist length and had great highlights. I styled it daily, it took four sets of hot rollers to curl it and it was beautiful. I cut it because of the enormous time it took to style daily, the costs of having it cut/colored/conditioned and since then have worn my hair much like the 'afters' in those photos. Six months ago I started letting my hair grow out again because I missed my long hair. Surprise, surprise, I realized by how 'old' it was making me look that I'd finally arrived at that certain age when short and stylish is much better and it had nothing to do with hair thickness or condition. The longish shag they'd styled me with looked all wrong, like something that belonged on a twenty year old in a club, not the strong sophisticated professional woman look I'd been used to. My hair is back to shorter now and I love it more than ever.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Egolita View Post
    i dont like the last one. her before hair is quite similar to mine though so im maybe a bit biased. i would never cut my hair like that. for one because i dont think it would do anything positive for me and two, i cant stand having to style it. if that last lady had makeup on and was dressed better in the before picture she would really look great i think. she looks fricking old now to me.
    I should actually say that my hair is just below collar bone, which is all I can stand after being a longhair my entire life. Once a longhair, always a longhair, but only in your soul... I agree with Gator though..... I'm about to take the big plunge but I DETEST styling my hair because I never had to... I resent the time, effort and cost it takes. I always had spiral permed long hair, very easy. So I'm not looking forward to the change, but I guess I'll get used to it.

I am not so sure about my hair lately,and this thread was what i needed.
    I had very short hair for a long time,a cute haircut,took me minutes to do with some gel and flaming red colour at that.
    Sorry to use European system ,i dont know the English one,but to give you an idea ,i am 1,60 m.tall and i weight 49 kilos.
    Everybody says i look too young for my age,i must be good genes,and normal face features.
    After a lot of trying and some extesions, s help i ve got long hair now.
    My hair is just a bit wavy,but i can iron it straight easily.
    I still have a very funky red colour,but i am not sure about the look.
    I ve always felt comfortable with my hair cut,and i wonder if i should chop it off again.Then i think of all the trouble i went into to have it this long and i back off,as i am sure this is the last time i did it and i ll die with short hair
    Any thoughts?
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well one of my professors is 58 and still has long hair, but she puts it up all the time. She used to let it down more often, but I've noticed lately that she keeps it up throughout class, whereas she used to play with it a lot...

I'd have to see a photo of your hair effie, before I could venture an opinion. This is such an individual question. I really think that for another 5-10 years my hair will be this length. Short hair just doesn't look good on me, my hair is baby fine with no body... it lies flat and I look like a drowned rat unless I constantly play with it and fill it up with product.

Maybe keep yours for a while longer, then change it?

You see,i dont know how to post pictures,i failed everytime i tried and my brats wont help cause they dont like the idea of their momma getting all over the net,not safe,not safe,they say.
    You know,while posting i discovered i am insecure about my whole image,clothes and stuff,maybe its time for a general make over.
    I wear clothes not a lot of women in my age do,and i ve started to have doubts about that too.My girls get angry at me and accuse me of wanting to grow and look old.I ve always could manage to look good without spending a lot,it was like a game to me.
    Lately,not so much.I ve also started to give away clothes that i love,and that is alarming too.My girls say that i am lucky my feet are so small that no one could inherit my treasured shoes..
    Age issues ,i guess..

Hit By Ban Bus!

We should have a thread about getting older and what style to have. I have taste in stuff that I simply can no longer wear and not look ridiculous. Sad, really.

Last night I saw Christiane Northrup, the menopause doctor famous for writing those books, on PBS. She looked fantastic, but her outfit was so boring. Nice, but incredibly boring. I don't want to dress like that, but I don't see a way around it unless I shop at the really expensive counter-culture stores, and online catalogs with really fine clothing (you know the type, the ones with the $200 sweaters), which at the moment I can ill afford.

I think the reason some women can carry off longer hair while being well over a certain age is their face shape & swan like neck. Rare, but can happen! Most of the before/after pictures proved a previous point-the old hair looked sad and neglected. You could almost hear the ends splitting! What is needed is one honest but ruthless friend who is going to tell you the truth no matter your reaction!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well that's basically why my hair is the length it is now... just 2 inches below the collarbone. Stylish when blowdried, and doesn't look ridiculous for my age. I really can't complain, but coloring it is a real pain. And if it gets even one inch too long, it looks ridiculous.

I always go for a few good classic pieces,like a nice trenchcoat,or o good black pair of jeans and then i play with weird stuff that i get in markets like Camden Town or Portobello in London,then some places in Paris Or Italy,i have some good times in Placa area in Athens too.It is a lot of fun for me,i dont work anymore,there is a live in help in the house,i just cook.a lot of time to do stuff i like,or have a chat with you,girls,makes my girls jealous,and i tell them.my on line girls NEVER talk back to me,or give me a bad time

Hit By Ban Bus!

Too much fun, isn't it?

I have a friend who used to live in Ladbroke Grove, and shopped at Portobello Road all the time - I am so jealous!

Well,i wont be doing it so often now that my youngest bolted out of her London uni,now i wont have to be there for her,but i wont give up on Paris,i got relatives there.
    God,i am cheering up a bit,old age has some benetifs..long as you re healthy ,and some money in the pocket wont hurt either,fuck the hair and the style,i am good

Hit By Ban Bus!

I know what you mean... going kicking and screaming into older age isn't such a great idea. Overall, I think I'm good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with having long hair after a certain age if it looks healthy. Long scraggly hair looks terrible on anyone, regardless of age.
    Totally agree.
    And this whole 'older women should cut their hair short' is bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Ladies: you may think having long hair makes you feminine, but when you do NOTHING with it, it makes you look like a dirty hippy.

.. and hippies suck.

I need to get more style in my hair because I don't want to be a dirty hippy!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information