Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 84

Thread: Accepting non-changeable physical flaws

  1. #61
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11,682

    Default

    Saw a clip of Janet Jackson being interviewed by Tyra Banks on Larry King Live. I couldn't believe it when she said she was challenged by a friend to stand in front of a mirror and pick out the things she liked about her body. Janet said that she started crying and couldn't find one thing about her body that she liked. FINALLY she saw that "I like my smile" and "I like the sway of my back." WTF??!!

    (And Tyra says she loves Janet when Tyra's such an advocate of girls liking their body the way it is. And while Janet was saying this, she looked really pretty and not like a freak for a change - great hair, great makeup, and great blouse.)

  2. #62
    Bronze Member kitson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    57

    Default

    I don't mind the way I look now but when I was a in my early to mid teens I had serious issues. I couldn't leave the house unless it was to go to school otherwise I was terrified that people might notice how disgusting I looked.

    One day it just clicked in my head and I would say I am now confident in my appearance. Sometimes I need to lose a little bit of extra weight so I do and that's it.

  3. #63
    Gold Member princesspink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    878

    Default

    My height...I'm 4'11. But Ive learnt to deal with it now. It doesnt bother me, it isnt the end of the world. Im still hot.

  4. #64
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,172

    Default

    ^^i think petite girls look awesome..plus you can be lifted up and carried really easily..

  5. #65
    Elite Member Algernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    All of the flaws I can think of could actually be changed with surgery...there is plenty of surgery I'd love to have if I had the money and guts. Even my flat ass could technically be fixed with butt implants, lol.

    However, the thread is about things that really can't be changed, so I do have one. My feet. I have finally come to accept them in the past couple of years. They look fine but they are big. I wear a size 9 and and I am 5'5. To me they have always been unproportional (they are long and skinny...just like these long skis). It plagued me for a LONG time, and that may sound silly, but I swear every female I went to high school with wore these cute little 6's or 7's, unless they were tall. The only other girls with size nine feet were like 5'10 or taller. Even my mom has little feet. Shoes look cuter smaller. When you go shoe shopping the sample shoe on the shelf looks adorable, then you pull out the size nine and go..."Oh. Is that the same shoe?"

    So, it may be very petty, but it is something I always hated. The summer after my junior year I even had a pair of running shoes that were a size too small and I squeezed my feet into them...hurt like hell and could have caused damage...but I was desperate to have cute little feet!

    I think my turning point to acceptance is when I read about an ancient tradition in China where the women would break their feet and bind them to have itsy bitsy feet. It was truly disgusting...and I have since gained a real appreciation for my (as my lovely size 6 SIL calls them) monster feet.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

  6. #66
    Elite Member Algernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitson View Post
    I don't mind the way I look now but when I was a in my early to mid teens I had serious issues. I couldn't leave the house unless it was to go to school otherwise I was terrified that people might notice how disgusting I looked.
    One day it just clicked in my head and I would say I am now confident in my appearance. Sometimes I need to lose a little bit of extra weight so I do and that's it.

    I can really relate to this. I had a VERY awkward stage and it was hell. I will never forget the time someone at the mall muttered "is that a girl or a boy" as I walked past...among other utterances that people never thought I heard. I was a mess. I wouldn't sharpen my pencil in class, I'd have my best friend go and do it because I was too terrified to walk in front of the class.

    Gaining confindence has been a lifesaver to me..but it was a long, hard road.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

  7. #67
    Gold Member Reptillycus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nevada high desert
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    In my teens and twenties I felt ugly and useless, in my thirties I started to feel better about my looks, and indeed became strong and beautiful, and throughout my forties. Now in my fifties, I have gotten rounder in the face, thinner in the hair, pastier in the skin, more wrinklier, less muscle tone, etc. But somehow I feel better inside. I look at the pix of me of the past and go Jeez, you were a Babe, but I didn't feel it then. Now I am NOT a Babe, by any means, but I feel it now.
    Life is really fucking strange!!!!!!!!

    Oh, Algernon, I had the pencil sharpening fears too...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

  8. #68
    Elite Member MarieAntoinette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,647

    Default

    I'm slim but I have no defined waist and a somewhat wide ribcage for a person of my size. Plus I have narrow almost boyish hips and thin legs / thighs. To me it sometimes looks like my upper body is to wide for my lower half. Doesn't look that great in a bikini either. I also loose weight first in my thighs and legs who are already thin enough, and gain weight first in the belly area.

    I accept that there is not much I can do about it, but sometimes when I see girls with a small defined waist I get jealous.

  9. #69
    Elite Member JuicyLucy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reptillycus View Post
    In my teens and twenties I felt ugly and useless, in my thirties I started to feel better about my looks, and indeed became strong and beautiful, and throughout my forties. Now in my fifties, I have gotten rounder in the face, thinner in the hair, pastier in the skin, more wrinklier, less muscle tone, etc. But somehow I feel better inside. I look at the pix of me of the past and go Jeez, you were a Babe, but I didn't feel it then. Now I am NOT a Babe, by any means, but I feel it now.
    Life is really fucking strange!!!!!!!!

    Oh, Algernon, I had the pencil sharpening fears too...
    Best post by far.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

  10. #70
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarieAntoinette View Post
    I'm slim but I have no defined waist and a somewhat wide ribcage for a person of my size. Plus I have narrow almost boyish hips and thin legs / thighs. To me it sometimes looks like my upper body is to wide for my lower half. Doesn't look that great in a bikini either. I also loose weight first in my thighs and legs who are already thin enough, and gain weight first in the belly area.

    I accept that there is not much I can do about it, but sometimes when I see girls with a small defined waist I get jealous.
    Yeah but I bet you have gorgeous legs don't you? I'm the opposite! I have the long built torso with stumpy legs like Keira Knightly. I swear I'd love to switch out for a softer middle with longer, leaner legs!

    Just goes to show I guess

  11. #71
    Silver Member HollyLove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    331

    Default

    There are plenty of things I wish I could change some I can... it just takes alot of hard work but im only 5'3 and that will never change and I wish I had the body of a celebrity...but doesn't everyone? and then there's fucking cellulite damnittttt does that ever go away? because I read somewhere that sometimes cellulite never goes away no matter how hard you work out......

  12. #72
    Silver Member PlasticGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Africa - Cape Town
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Oh Algernon, u sound JUST like me when i was that age!!!!! I thought ppl were joking about ME when i heard distant laughter... Some guy came up to me once and said 'my friend likes u' i told him "F--K OFF< im not stupid, u guys are making fun of me" i thought i was so ugly that ppl wouldnt want to KNOW me. I had NO life because i didnt want to leave home in case ppl saw how ugly i was - OH GOD i dont wish that on anyone, why did i feel like that??
    Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...
    www.fashion-templates.com

  13. #73
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    um yeah like my "giraffe" neck .... oh well i guess its better to have a long neck than no neck like Sienna Miller or Claudette Colbert.

  14. #74
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,172

    Default

    alice i think long necks are considered very nice in general..

  15. #75
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    YaY for Repttilycus for being one hot mama at any age!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: December 11th, 2006, 10:03 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: December 4th, 2006, 10:38 AM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: March 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 17th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •