Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Accepting non-changeable physical flaws

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Hmmm, but how does it combat perspiration? I don't smell (much) , but it's the sweat that's the issue.
    I was a big sweater and smelled too. It works for me.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    OT but important: almost everybody should be using a deodorant free of Aluminum Zirconium. There are very few on the market. Mennen makes one.
    You're right Mira, that's one of the bad ones.

Hit By Ban Bus!

No I meant Mennen makes a good one. Mine is that aqua colored thing called Lady Speed stick "Crystal Clean."

You have to read the labels. Very few deodorants are made without aluminum zirconium. It's a crime, actually. Too much breast cancer from lifelong use of the crap.

You guys who sweat are lucky, seriously. I don't sweat enough and my whole life I just passed out in the summer. It's awful, sweat regulates you and keeps you cool- if you don't sweat enough you melt. I hate hot weather because it makes me sick.

So all your sweaty pits are little blessings.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Holy crap, I didn't know that *must look at deodorant*

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    No I meant Mennen makes a good one. Mine is that aqua colored thing called Lady Speed stick "Crystal Clean."

You have to read the labels. Very few deodorants are made without aluminum zirconium. It's a crime, actually. Too much breast cancer from lifelong use of the crap.
    Also, Tom's of Maine has one and if any of you shop at a Trader Joe's, they've got one too.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah, true. I found you still have to read the labels at Trader's because they carry both kinds.

This may help when choosing - From Dyingtolookgood.com

Here are 7 ingredients to avoid when choosing your deodorant:

Aluminum chlorohydrate, aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly or any aluminum compounds. Aluminum is absorbed through the skin and accumulates in the body. It has been suggested that there is an association between aluminum and Alzheimer’s disease.

Parabens (methyl, ethyl, propyl, benzyl and butyl), are all derived from toluene, a toxic petrochemical derivative. Toluene is toxic if swallowed or inhaled. It is also harmful in contact with the skin. There is some evidence that repeated exposure to toluene may cause reproductive harm. Since 2000, 13 research studies have shown that various types of parabens act like estrogen in animals and in tissue culture. Estrogen is known to drive the growth of cancerous cells.

Triclosan is a skin irritant and may cause contact dermatitis. It may kill healthy bacteria as well as harmful bacteria. It may contain carcinogenic contaminants. It is stored in body fat and is classified as a pesticide by the FDA.

Talc is classified as a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer if it contains asbestiform fibers. The quantity of asbestiform fibers in cosmetic grade talc is unregulated. If talc is listed on the label, there is no way of knowing whether or not it contains asbestiform fibers. Propylene glycol absorbs quickly through the skin and is a penetration enhancer. It may cause delayed allergic reactions. NIOSH says propylene glycol is a neurotoxin and may cause kidney or liver damage. The EPA says it’s not fully investigated for carcinogenic potential.

Silica is a skin irritant. It may be contaminated with crystalline quartz, which is a carcinogen.
    Steareth-n (n may be any number like say 100), may be vegetable derived but is reacted with ethylene oxide (ethoxylated), a known human carcinogen.

Instead choose deodorants with ingredients like vegetable glycerin, natural preservatives like bioflavanoids and lichen, herbs or herbal extracts, de-ionized water or distilled water, green tea, aloe vera, baking soda and essential oils.
    A word of caution: Plant extracts listed on labels can already contain parabens and propylene glycol. These do not have to be listed on the label. Very few herbs supplied to manufacturers are free of parabens or other synthetic preservatives unless they are extracted in vegetable glycerine. To make sure that the products you buy are healthy and free of these harmful chemicals, call the deodorant manufacturer and ask them for detailed information.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    Also, Tom's of Maine has one and if any of you shop at a Trader Joe's, they've got one too.
    trader joe rocks. they also have a very nice herbal soap that has no animal products and has not been tested on animals. i bought quite a bit of it, last time i was there, it was not too expensive either

I wish I were taller. other than that, I can change other stuff.

Hit By Ban Bus!

i never get sweat under my arms, i don't even wear deoderant. i swear i have something missing under there. no hair either. now that should make me lucky, but no. i sweat out of my face. it's disgusting. i always have a wet upper lip area and dreadful breakouts. how the hell is it that your face would be the only place where you sweat? and it's bad in the hot weather too, i get sick to my stomach, completely flushed and almost pass out because i can't sweat anywhere else.

oh and i envy you with straight hair. i WISH i could wear my hair straight, but it doesn't work that way. i have a head of bleached blonde pubic hair. it's one big massive frizzball. my ex boyfriend used to call me 'thing one' or 'thing two' from the cat in the hat books. i've come to accept it though, even though i have had the same hairdo since i was a teenager. it kinda looks like carrie from sex and the city though now i've grown it out and use pounds of gel to keep it under control. used to be really bad fro'ish when it was short lol.

Elite Member

I get a prominent blush on my chest and neck sometimes right onto my face when I get flustered.

It wouldn't be so bad if I weren't so bashful; if I get any sort of unexpected compliment or interest from someone I immediately turn all flushed and patchy.

Silver Member Green-eyed-hottie's Avatar

Omg... i totally didn't know anything about that deodorant stuff... i don't use it much, just after showering... but still..scary stuff.. I'll have to find something natural...
    So.. i want to try and help you guys who can't accept their flaws. So, lets see... imagine you're happy with how you look, you like everything about yourself, and then, out of nowhere someone tells you that you're fat! (or ugly, or have funny looking hair/eyes/butt...whatever..be creative!) And you never ever thought that about yourself...actually, you always loved your figure/hair/eyes/butt.... but now... you start asking yourself "hm... maybe he's right... what if he's right?!" and you say that to yourself over and over again, and yup- start believing it! You convinced yourself that you have that flaw...
    So, if you actually repeat something to yourself over and over again- you start believing it... If you think negative stuff, you will feel like it's true and you'll be negative.. so, obviously- if you think positively, you might start liking that, and be more positive about your flaws and yourself.
    I hope that this makes some sense
    "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"

Bronze Member

Default makeup for oily skin

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Also, you can use any makeup with Bentonite Clay in it such as mineral makeup because it absorbs really well. I used to have an oil slick in certain spots on my face and this works well for me.
    where do you get this and what brand is it? Inquiring minds (covered by oily skin) want to know

Hit By Ban Bus!

Once I began seeing things as characteristic and not qualities/flaws, I have been in perfect peace with my image. The tough thing about it is beating self-consciousness and learning to see things through a different point of view, but, with willpower, it's very possible.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information